• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Star Wars discussion thread SPOILERS GALORE!

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spent months avoiding spoilers, reviews, opinions and anything Star Wars. Saw it last night. Still can't say anything really surprised me. I knew when Han and Liea hugged, Han was going to be killed by Ren/Ben. I too think Rae is Luke's kid. BB8 is R2D2. He(it) brings the same thing to the movie. So many parallels to the first movie that it almost seemed like a remake instead of a sequel. Still trying to figure out where they are going with Finn. Had him using a light saber, and holding his own for a while. I think they will have him free the storm troopers by the end. I like that the storm troopers are no longer clones but slaves from childhood. I have a feeling the money loaning character will play a bigger part in the next movie. Why show that he lived if he is a throw away person. The fact that there are two more movies already paid for made this seem like it was a little introduction more than story telling.

The fact that the R2D2 had the rest of the map the whole time but was under a tarp was lame.
What is the deal with CP3os red arm. They made a point of it but tossed it aside
The visit to Luke could have been saved for the next movie. It is like they put it in this one so they could say he was in the movie.
The even bigger Death Star bugged me a lot. Why a Death Star? Because the previous ones worked so well?
It powers up by draining the sun. But they used it twice ( or tried to) does that mean that planet had two Suns? What do they do next time?
Finn said he worked in sanitation. Why was he fighting on the planet?

That said I loved the movie. Was it perfect? Nope but neither were the first ones. I didn't feel like they were forcing a girl hero, just because she was a girl. I like Finn and the good guy storm trooper. The best pilot in the galaxy guy could have died in the beginning and it wouldn't have mattered to me or the story. I actually think they tried to put too much into this film. They want to show all these cool ideas, knowing they have two more movies (or more with spin offs) to flesh the ideas out.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spent months avoiding spoilers, reviews, opinions and anything Star Wars. Saw it last night. Still can't say anything really surprised me. I knew when Han and Liea hugged, Han was going to be killed by Ren/Ben. I too think Rae is Luke's kid. BB8 is R2D2. He(it) brings the same thing to the movie. So many parallels to the first movie that it almost seemed like a remake instead of a sequel. Still trying to figure out where they are going with Finn. Had him using a light saber, and holding his own for a while. I think they will have him free the storm troopers by the end. I like that the storm troopers are no longer clones but slaves from childhood. I have a feeling the money loaning character will play a bigger part in the next movie. Why show that he lived if he is a throw away person. The fact that there are two more movies already paid for made this seem like it was a little introduction more than story telling.

The fact that the R2D2 had the rest of the map the whole time but was under a tarp was lame.
What is the deal with CP3os red arm. They made a point of it but tossed it aside
The visit to Luke could have been saved for the next movie. It is like they put it in this one so they could say he was in the movie.
The even bigger Death Star bugged me a lot. Why a Death Star? Because the previous ones worked so well?
It powers up by draining the sun. But they used it twice ( or tried to) does that mean that planet had two Suns? What do they do next time?
Finn said he worked in sanitation. Why was he fighting on the planet?

That said I loved the movie. Was it perfect? Nope but neither were the first ones. I didn't feel like they were forcing a girl hero, just because she was a girl. I like Finn and the good guy storm trooper. The best pilot in the galaxy guy could have died in the beginning and it wouldn't have mattered to me or the story. I actually think they tried to put too much into this film. They want to show all these cool ideas, knowing they have two more movies (or more with spin offs) to flesh the ideas out.

Finn's assignment changed from sanitation on the Starkiller base to foot soldier, and Jakku was his first action. I assume he was in sanitation while he was still training as a stormtrooper, then his training was finished and he was deployed.

I'm also not sure R2D2 had the map the whole time. If he did, I'm sure someone would have known. C3PO also said when R2D2 came back online that he had "found" the rest of the map, so maybe he was plugged into the Imperial Archives while in low-power mode, searching for the rest of the map. If R2 did have the map the whole time, he could have saved a lot of worry and effort.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am working on some fanfiction about Finn's days in the sanitation department, particularly concerning a major clog. When done I will post it here.

IndyAndy

I can't reMember
Paddock Stand, Section 23, Row QQ, Seat 4
Hoopla Cash
$ 545.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Color me underwhelmed.

It's basically 80% "A New Hope" with just enough MINOR character/plot/local variations to allow them to get away with calling it it's own movie, as opposed to a full-on remake.

Jared

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Check out Emo Kylo Ren on the Twitters. Good times.

For instance:

fine I will go to the dance dad but I will not dance I will wear a dark peacoat and stand in a corner with hux passing judgment on everyone

and

my dad owns too many vests

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw it, enjoyed it quite a bit. As already stated, it's basically a new version of A New Hope, which isn't the worst thing ever. The whole Death Star 3.0 deal was a little weak, especially the way it was destroyed. However, I do like all of the new characters and really hope they nail the character development in the next installment.

My only real big complaint is how did Rae/Rey? know how to do all the Jedi tricks? How did she know how to do a Jedi mind trick? How did she know how to use the force for telekinesis? And how did her and Fin manage to fight Kylo Ren so effectively? I understand he's not Vader and he's probably still training but I would imagine he would've handled them pretty easily considering they've never used a lightsaber.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll also add, I was very impressed with how they were able to integrate all of the old characters into this one without it being an over the top fan serving wink at the camera.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw it, enjoyed it quite a bit. As already stated, it's basically a new version of A New Hope, which isn't the worst thing ever. The whole Death Star 3.0 deal was a little weak, especially the way it was destroyed. However, I do like all of the new characters and really hope they nail the character development in the next installment.

My only real big complaint is how did Rae/Rey? know how to do all the Jedi tricks? How did she know how to do a Jedi mind trick? How did she know how to use the force for telekinesis? And how did her and Fin manage to fight Kylo Ren so effectively? I understand he's not Vader and he's probably still training but I would imagine he would've handled them pretty easily considering they've never used a lightsaber.

Based on Kylo Ren's interrogation of Rey, I assume she learned from him. She turned his brain probe thing against him. Perhaps feeling him in her head, using the Force in that way, having that direct experience, gave her the idea that she could do it to someone else. It took her a few tries, but she seems to have a pretty strong connection to the Force, and there's some speculation she had been training before she was sent away, so some of the skills may have been in there already, just needed some remembering.

But I think the lightsaber duel can be explained by a few things. For one, Kylo Ren did get shot in the gut with a bowcaster. That can't be easy to fight through, and probably limited him quite a bit. I also assume he's only roughly competent with a lightsaber, given how much his sputters and spits. He just kind of threw it together, so his training is obviously not complete. But Finn and Rey, while not skilled specifically with a lightsaber, do have some experience with melee weapons, so they probably transferred those skills. Finn likely used it like the club that stormtrooper he fought had (I assume they get at least cursory training in everything, then assigned based on their skills and affinities), and Rey was capable with that staff she always carried around. So two folks who are roughly competent with similar weapons could probably hold their own against a guy whose skills aren't completely polished and who just got shot in the stomach with a pretty serious-business sort of weapon.

A fully healthy Kylo Ren, though, probably would have slaughtered them.

RangersReds03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on Kylo Ren's interrogation of Rey, I assume she learned from him. She turned his brain probe thing against him. Perhaps feeling him in her head, using the Force in that way, having that direct experience, gave her the idea that she could do it to someone else. It took her a few tries, but she seems to have a pretty strong connection to the Force, and there's some speculation she had been training before she was sent away, so some of the skills may have been in there already, just needed some remembering.

But I think the lightsaber duel can be explained by a few things. For one, Kylo Ren did get shot in the gut with a bowcaster. That can't be easy to fight through, and probably limited him quite a bit. I also assume he's only roughly competent with a lightsaber, given how much his sputters and spits. He just kind of threw it together, so his training is obviously not complete. But Finn and Rey, while not skilled specifically with a lightsaber, do have some experience with melee weapons, so they probably transferred those skills. Finn likely used it like the club that stormtrooper he fought had (I assume they get at least cursory training in everything, then assigned based on their skills and affinities), and Rey was capable with that staff she always carried around. So two folks who are roughly competent with similar weapons could probably hold their own against a guy whose skills aren't completely polished and who just got shot in the stomach with a pretty serious-business sort of weapon.

This. I agree with this 100%. Only thing I'll add is even though he wants to be Vader, I think he's more like Episode II Anakin at this point.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Good enough for me, thanks.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
I think Han and Leia had twins and they sent the girl away to keep her safe (kind mirroring Luke and Leia).
That's why the old dude was there to mentor her. Much like Luke, on a dusty shithole of a planet with a kindly uncle Obi Wan.
Also kind of ties in with why the M Falcon just happened to be nearby.

So she's not Luke's daughter, but leia's (therefor Kylo Ren's sister)
Otherwise you've got to introduce some new chick that Luke has been Skyshagging, and frankly that's too much sex for a Disney film.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumors swirling of Rosario Dawson playing Ahsoka Tano, too, which is very exciting to me.

Not a rumour that's happening as well

The big rumours that I haven't found legs for is Hayden Christensen returning as Darth Vader for the Obi Wan series...

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a rumour that's happening as well

The big rumours that I haven't found legs for is Hayden Christensen returning as Darth Vader for the Obi Wan series...
I hope they actually let the man act this time, if true.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope they actually let the man act this time, if true.
Same.. we just watched the prequels and they were not as horrible as I remembered.. they have so many good elements in them but the acting is just stunted... Controlled.. he had so much promise In Revenge of the Sith ... What I wouldn't give for a mini series on him alone

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
40 years ago today, I was in the Stanley Theatre watching this mind blowing film to my 10 year old eyes.. I'll never forget the experience of this. It was my first sequel of any movie I saw and truly is the best of the franchise.. May the Force be with you!

SW_-_Empire_Strikes_Back.jpg