• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Spurs Fined for Sitting Players

SY8goat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is an article on it:

NBA fines San Antonio Spurs $250,000 for sitting players - ESPN

This is ridiculous. Spurs were fined $250,000 for not playing Duncan, Parker, Ginobli and Danny Green against the Miami Heat. The Heat game was the Spurs' 6th road game in a row, while the Heat were coming off 4 days rest (Great scheduling by the NBA).

Could this lead the NFL to impose similar sanctions on NFL teams? I think this could be a strong possibility if the NFL does expand the schedule to 18 games.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ha I was going to post this too.

Absolutely ridiculous. I dont like the Spurs but how the hell can you fine a team that is doing a strategic play?

Just crazy, Stern cant retire soon enough.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Also just to add, the game was actually really close and the Spurs damn near won. I dont get how Stern has any ground to stand on.

freaak

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Aren't healthy players "in the best interest of the NBA"? Isn't putting together a competent schedule "in the best interest of the NBA"? Absurd.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is an article on it:

NBA fines San Antonio Spurs $250,000 for sitting players - ESPN

This is ridiculous. Spurs were fined $250,000 for not playing Duncan, Parker, Ginobli and Danny Green against the Miami Heat. The Heat game was the Spurs' 6th road game in a row, while the Heat were coming off 4 days rest (Great scheduling by the NBA).

Could this lead the NFL to impose similar sanctions on NFL teams? I think this could be a strong possibility if the NFL does expand the schedule to 18 games.

Absurd.

JMedlock5186

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stern is the biggest piece of shit in pro sports. Fuck you stern, retire already.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stern is almost as big of an idiot as Goodell. Almost.

abaskin18

Oilman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sW3CP.gif

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd take him over Bettman

That just made me sad face. I need hockey back!

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully the Spurs fight this decision. I don't see how this should be allowed to stand.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Frankly, dumbest-shit, fucktard move by a league I've ever witnessed.

The SEC is probably licking their chops over this one.

Prediction: Stern realizes how illegal this move is, and rescinds the fine by Monday.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Devils advocate.......As stupid as it is, I get the reasoning. It is a business. When it comes time for TV contracts and ticket sales, stars playing in the games is important. Networks don't want a bunch of backups playing in a game, especially a big game against another marquee team. People pay to see big names, not scrubs. I was at my friends and the second he saw that those guys were out, he changed the station. Little things like that come up when negotiating starts.

That being said, the coaches job is to win championships. The best chance is to rest the older guys and let the other guys get playing time. It seemed to work pretty well for him last season so why question his methods? Not to mention Pop is a 4 time champion. If I were him I would just have those guys suddenly get "sick" when he wants to rest them. Stern was just pissed he didn't get his way and he is trying to make an example. Problem is, you end up like Goodell and next thing you know you are making an example on a weekly basis.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Devils advocate.......As stupid as it is, I get the reasoning. It is a business. When it comes time for TV contracts and ticket sales, stars playing in the games is important. Networks don't want a bunch of backups playing in a game, especially a big game against another marquee team. People pay to see big names, not scrubs. I was at my friends and the second he saw that those guys were out, he changed the station. Little things like that come up when negotiating starts.

That being said, the coaches job is to win championships. The best chance is to rest the older guys and let the other guys get playing time. It seemed to work pretty well for him last season so why question his methods? Not to mention Pop is a 4 time champion. If I were him I would just have those guys suddenly get "sick" when he wants to rest them. Stern was just pissed he didn't get his way and he is trying to make an example. Problem is, you end up like Goodell and next thing you know you are making an example on a weekly basis.

Stars playing in the post season is important. The regular season is irrelevant in the NBA as there are way too many games. There is precedent here. Aside from which, I doubt more than 1,500 Heat fans even know who the Spurs' starters are.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The problem is that even without their stars the Spurs still almost won the game. It's not like it ended up being a bad game that the Heat ran away with. The Fans that were there and that watched on TV still got a great basketball game. I'd be more inclined to see Stern's point of view if the Spurs lost by 20+ points.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NBA is a joke. This doesn't do much to help their image

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
David Stern is the reason why the NBA sucks anymore... This guy thinks he is God of the hardwood...

I can't stand the Spurs... But even as a Spur hater, I think this is BS...

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stupid. Each team should have the right to do what they want as far as who they play and when (as long as they are healthy of course). The funniest part of this whole thing is the Spurs almost won.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wanna make the games relevant?

Contract New Orleans, Charlotte, Milwaukee, Toronto, Cleveland, Minnesota, Indiana, Washington, Atlanta and the Clippers (I realize they have a few good players at the moment, but they're never going to compete for a Western Conference Championship, let alone a Finals Championship), and shorten the season to 40 games.

NBA: fixed.