• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Racist Math questions for 3rd graders in Georgia

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fair enough. I'll accept that. Or even 207. But even 192-207 days a year is pretty good if you're effectively making about $107K a year with the pension. I think you got a little carried away after that, but any way you slice it the total hours for the year are not that much.

By the way I don't personally know anyone in the private sector who makes that much money without averaging AT LEAST 10 hour days. Minimum.

Now you're back to hours instead of days. I didn't get carried away at all. That's what a teacher's schedule looks like. If you don't think that's the case, you're in for a surprise if and when you realize your dream. Conservatively, I worked 80 hours a week during the school year, and spent much of my "time off" during breaks catching up on grading.

If we're including benefits in the discussion, at least retirement benefits, I know an awful lot of people who work 40-50 hour weeks consistently and do better than that. Especially my friends who work for Microsoft, Google, etc. I also know lots of people who work 60-80 hour weeks and make three to four times what teachers do, with comparable or less education.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If everyone went to home school, 50% would score in the bottom 50 percentile or worse, 15% would score in the bottom 15% percentile or worse, and so therefore your numbers of home schoolers scoring in the 84 percentile or better would surely be erased. Yes, I am kidding. So I shouldn't expect a tirade on how I don't understand the argument. I know you expect everyone's overall scores to raise, not the percentiles. (My humor is skewed, though I do wonder, will someone react before reading that I was kidding?)

But it reminded me of a protester that told me 1% of the population makes more than 99% of us (!) and it was clear that he didn't mean 1% made more than the agregate of 99%, he meant what was by definition - the top 1% make more the bottom 99%. He was repeating what he thought he heard. Obviously that movement has some of the smartest, some of the dumbest, and many in between, so don't get me wrong, I'm not siding with anyone, just thought it was funny.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm not worried about NinerSickness going in to teaching. He flunked out of programming - err - "found it boring" - and now wants to teach kids. Yeah right...

I can accept we've been trolled.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I'm not worried about NinerSickness going in to teaching. He flunked out of programming - err - "found it boring" - and now wants to teach kids. Yeah right...

I can accept we've been trolled.

I was open enough to share what I did for a living. My company moved its operations to the East Coast & layed off about 500-600 people. But thanks for piling on.

It was my plan to finish school & go into teaching all along. I've just been paying off debt & saving up for college for 6 years. No I don't want do programming for a living.

If people kept track of the dollars in the public Education system like I do they wouldn't support it. But it's a boring subject, so people don't pay much attention to it.

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I was open enough to share what I did for a living. My company moved its operations to the East Coast & layed off about 500-600 people. But thanks for piling on.

It was my plan to finish school & go into teaching all along. I've just been paying off debt & saving up for college for 6 years. No I don't want do programming for a living.

If people kept track of the dollars in the public Education system like I do they wouldn't support it. But it's a boring subject, so people don't pay much attention to it.

Sorry to hear that. Good luck to you.