• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Plaxico Burress and Brandon Jacobs came to my high school

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, i think a friend of mine has one and he loves it. I'm actually hoping to find something in a smaller caliber though.... the ammo for these .45's are getting outrageous.

Most of your govt issued pistols for agencies like the Secret Service and the likes are .357 compatible. Also a good round.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Yea, i think a friend of mine has one and he loves it. I'm actually hoping to find something in a smaller caliber though.... the ammo for these .45's are getting outrageous.

If your looking for something with decent stopping power but that wont kill your pocket book, id suggest a 9mm. I've owned one for years and couldnt believe the price difference when i recently purchased a 40.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most of your govt issued pistols for agencies like the Secret Service and the likes are .357 compatible. Also a good round.

Are prices better for .357 ammo than .45?

I thought most gov't issued sidearms for like fbi/cia use were Glock 23's or 21's

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If your looking for something with decent stopping power but that wont kill your pocket book, id suggest a 9mm. I've owned one for years and couldnt believe the price difference when i recently purchased a 40.

Yea that's more what I was thinking..... 9mm ammo is pretty cheap compared to this .45 ammo i have to buy

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Are prices better for .357 ammo than .45?

I thought most gov't issued sidearms for like fbi/cia use were Glock 23's or 21's

Not sure about those exact 2 but you can usually figure the bigger the round the more expensive it is, unless its just something out of the norm like a 41 or or something like that.

If your looking for cheap to shoot but a decent size round id go with a 9mm or 380. If your just looking for cheap to shoot buy a 22 or 22mag. I've got a browning 22 that i shoot as much as anything.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure about those exact 2 but you can usually figure the bigger the round the more expensive it is, unless its just something out of the norm like a 41 or or something like that.

If your looking for cheap to shoot but a decent size round id go with a 9mm or 380. If your just looking for cheap to shoot buy a 22 or 22mag. I've got a browning 22 that i shoot as much as anything.

Yea i think i'm going to go with a 9mm. I want more stopping power than a .22. I wan't something with decent stopping power to c&c with me, but also something cheap on ammo to target practice with. A 9mm seems to be right down my alley.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Take a serious look at glock 26, 19, and 17

26= very small compact

19= a little longer barrel but still pretty compact

17= full size 4.5" barrel

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea if I go Glock (which is definitely in the cards) i will most likely go with the 17. I'm not a big fan of the compacts/subcompacts.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Yea if I go Glock (which is definitely in the cards) i will most likely go with the 17. I'm not a big fan of the compacts/subcompacts.

Havnt actually fired it myself but my buddy just got the 26 and absolutely loves it. I own the 17 and hear really good things about the 19 so that is why those were the ones i listed.

FTR though i've got a 'knock off' 9 that i paid less than $200 for that shoots as good as any. Thats usually what i carry to the farm and stuff like that. As long as you dont buy cheap shells it never jams and is plenty accurate for what i need it for. The other guns are really just investments/toys maybe get fired a few times a year at most.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
If you feel that you need to carry around a gun for protection wherever you go, then obviously you are doing some shady things and know how to piss the wrong people off.

People get killed/hurt every day in this country for doing nothing more than minding their own business. I wonder how many less car jackings, armed robberies, rapes, etc etc etc would take place if more people carried. BTW i know 2 people that have had to use a gun to protect themselves. 1 was a mother @ home with her children while her husband was working night shift. Her home was broken into and if she hadnt had a gun who knows what would have happened. The second one was a guy that was camping with his wife. Two guys come in off the river to their camp site in a canoe and at first make nice, they offered the guys some food and the guys shared their beer. Later in the night the guys beat the shit out of the dude and tried to r*pe his wife. Luckily he had a hand gun in his tent. edit: actually i know 3 people but you get my point.

I dont find it shady at all that a high profile person would carry a gun, especially in NYc. Their are crazy people in this world and you have to realize that athletes/celebrities are approached by hundreds of people every time they are out in public. Next time your in a crowded mall imagine that every one you see is wanting your picture/autograph, i'd want some protection too.

Last edited by a moderator:

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
oh and i dont know how i almost forgot this (it happened within 10 miles of my house)

Randall Lee Smith - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On May 6, 2008, Smith attempted to kill two fishermen less than two miles from the site of the 1981 murders.[10] He befriended the two fishermen, who shared their dinner with Smith, before opening fire on them without warning. Both men were shot twice, but survived.[11] Smith was arrested that day after attempting to escape in one of the victim's trucks and subsequently crashing.[12] He died in jail four days later as a result of injuries sustained in the crash

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Camfantasy;1690407 This was actually the worst mass murder in Alabama history and happened about 10-15 miles from me...[url=http://articles.cnn.com/2009-03-10/justice/shooting.alabama_1_shooting-spree-gunman-alabama-department?_s=PM:CRIME said:
At least 10 dead in two-town Alabama shooting spree - CNN[/url]

"He was shooting at just ordinary people going about their business," Smith told CNN,

another example of people being hurt/killed for minding their own business.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"He was shooting at just ordinary people going about their business," Smith told CNN,

another example of people being hurt/killed for minding their own business.

Yep, horrible situation. I believe a police officer's wife and infant child was murdered, and another daughter was wounded.

Fun fact on Mrs. Smith that you referenced in the last post..... she is currently in a federal court being charged with accepting/offering bribes to pass an electronic bingo bill a few years ago.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't keep up a whole lot with Plax's story at the time, but for some reason I thought he mentioned that a teammate's home had gotten broken into earlier that evening and called him. Evidently his wasn't the only home that had gotten burglarized in that area and Plax went over to be with his friend while bringing his gun. They ended up going out to get his mind off of it and Plax forgot he was carrying the gun until once he got inside. Wasn't he walking up a flight of steps when it fell out of his pants? I don't remember much, but for some reason that 'story' seems to be what I remember. It may have been total BS though.

As far as personal protection, my 21st birthday present from my father was a S&W Tactical 45. I got my carry permit a few weeks later.

IM002712.jpg

Whenever the alarm went off at the family business and I had to go up there to let the police in, I had it drawn and by my side. At first the police were like "Woah!, what are you doing?". However, after informing them that if I was going to be the first person through this door, you better believe I'm going to have my own protection. After that, they were pretty cool and even tried to convince me to get night sights because as they said it, you could hit a guy 50 yards away in pitch black. I laughed and said there is no way I could claim self-defense if I'm trying to hit a guy 50 yards away.

Since I'm a teacher though, I can't legally carry it onto campus, including leaving it in my car. So it stays in the nightstand drawer or floor safe when we babysit my nephews/nieces.

I'm going to teach my wife how to shoot, but honestly, I'd rather get a small/light shotgun that she could use for protection when I'm not home preferably with a pistol grip. There would be no need for her to aim, just point and pull the trigger. Something along the lines of the following, but maybe an auto instead of pump for her to use easier:

super_shorty_870.jpg

Anyone have suggestions for a home defense shotgun that is ideally suited for a woman to use easily?

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont know Cobra, with the recoil and her being a woman and all, she might only be able to get off one round before falling back. Those things pack a punch.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scatterguns are the best bet when you are woken out of deep sleep by a potential home intruder. As Cobra mentioned, no need to aim.

I have two very loud pit bulls and a sign saying as much prominently displayed on my front and back door. I would hope that would make the home invader head next door, but if not.....well.....

10172928.jpg

I am not worried though.... the best home invasion deterrant, and it has been proven time and again, is a loud barking dog. Burglars/robbers just don't want to deal with the hassle. They sleep in the room with us too, so no worries about desensitation over time. I don't have enough enemies (yet) in my line of work to ever expect to have to go any further than that.

My dogs would lick them to death probably:

pit+bull+smile.jpg

But what people hear is this:

images

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont know Cobra, with the recoil and her being a woman and all, she might only be able to get off one round before falling back. Those things pack a punch.

I was thinking that too, but I know my father still has his own shell reloading equipment and I bet we could reduce the powder and still keep the stopping power. If an intruder did break into our house, they would have to go down a long narrow hallway to get to the bedroom. All she would have to do is point down the hallway and pull the trigger. I'm sure once we practice with it, she would be used to any recoil, at least enough to not drop it or fall backwards. And if an intruder actually got hit with one round, I don't really see them continuing to advance without taking time to recover (if they weren't already fatally wounded), which in turn would give her time to send another round down the hallway.

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you feel that you need to carry around a gun for protection wherever you go, then obviously you are doing some shady things and know how to piss the wrong people off.

If you feel the need to disavow the Second Amendment, then obviously you aren't American.

See how making uninformed blanket statements is fun? Thought you geniuses at UVA knew better...