• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Paul George Stepping on Court

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't have anybody else to discuss this with so I brought it here....

Paul George isn't suspended for game 7. I think it is bullshit. Now I know he only took a couple steps onto the court, but the letter of the law is that he should be suspended. I know there is no intent, and all the analysts are talking about that he wasn't instigating or anything....

...but isn't the rule in place to take the judgement of intent out of the equation? It is pretty clear.. you step on the court and you get a suspension. I don't think it should matter what your intent is. Change the rule if you are going to let somebody get away with it for the sake of ratings.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rule also states the player must remain in the vicinity of the bench and since they never left the bench their is no suspension. Also Silver doesn't want the stigma that Stern had when he suspended those Knicks players back in the day.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you, tallglass, but I'm more upset about Big Baby playing Dominoes with O'Neal's leg.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Heard Colin Cowherd talking about this, and as usual his take was stupid and wrong.

He said, "You have to allow people to be human beings."

Uhhh Colin, human beings do all kinds of stupid crap. That doesn't mean the NBA should make a special exception for someone who broke a rule. Don't like it? Change the rule. But whatever rules there are need to be enforced equally & objectively.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
As a Hawk fan, I got to say I'm glad they're not going to suspend PG because it would cheapen the series. Though I wanted some kind of discipline on David West last night. He threw a heck of an elbow on Millsap and came down on Pero Antic's face with both his hands early in the 1st quarter. Pre-game the guy said something to the effect that it was going to be a 'dirty' game. He certainly got his worth on the fouls.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Hawk fan, I got to say I'm glad they're not going to suspend PG because it would cheapen the series. Though I wanted some kind of discipline on David West last night. He threw a heck of an elbow on Millsap and came down on Pero Antic's face with both his hands early in the 1st quarter. Pre-game the guy said something to the effect that it was going to be a 'dirty' game. He certainly got his worth on the fouls.

Larry Bird basically called them soft early in the season, something he no doubt has repeated behind the scenes. There are other ways of being physical. Wear out your opponents, get them distracted, intimidated as far as physical battling but fighting or cheap shots is out of the realm of tough - it's just cheap and dirty. Didn't like when Malone crossed the line and I'm a Jazz fan.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im ok with it. He didn't do anything wrong.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Larry Bird basically called them soft early in the season, something he no doubt has repeated behind the scenes. There are other ways of being physical. Wear out your opponents, get them distracted, intimidated as far as physical battling but fighting or cheap shots is out of the realm of tough - it's just cheap and dirty. Didn't like when Malone crossed the line and I'm a Jazz fan.

Exactly, I get that the Pacers are frustrated they're off their game, but the toughness has to be within the guidelines. Hawks fans just want to win out of spite, this year was a throw away year anyways. Don't go out and attempt to hurt our players Mr. West.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
People love to trash the NFL for trying to make money (gasp!), but when some bull shit like this happens PURELY For the sake of making sure the team that will get more viewers wins in the playoffs, I'm not hearing the outrage.

And I don't even have a favourite NBA team, so this isn't coming from a Hawks' fan.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Hawks fan I'm more upset Mike Scott got called for the foul that started that whole mess despite the Pacers guy shoving him out of bounds during the rebound attempt. Pacers got 2 Free Throws out of that even though they missed them (ball never lies).

In any case the home teams in this series are 1-2 so I'm not sure how much of advantage it is for the Pacers to have Game 7 at home. They have a better winning percentage in Atlanta right now.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im ok with it. He didn't do anything wrong.

NBA suspends Stoudemire, Diaw for leaving bench - NBA - ESPN

Here is an excerpt from the article that absolutely fits here as well...

But NBA executive vice president of basketball operations Stu Jackson told reporters in a conference call after announcing the suspensions that the league's longstanding policy of invoking its leave-the-bench rule without considering additional factors made the Suns' suspensions automatic.

"A precedent wasn't necessary here," Jackson said. "The rule with respect to leaving the bench area during an altercation is very clear.

"Historically, if you break it, you will get suspended, regardless of what the circumstances are."

Now Amare was further away from the bench, but George left the bench and crossed onto the court. If the coaches didn't plush him back he would have kept going, but regardless, he left the bench. Maybe "the bench area" needs to be more clear along with the Drew Brees Neck Area.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NBA suspends Stoudemire, Diaw for leaving bench - NBA - ESPN

Here is an excerpt from the article that absolutely fits here as well...

But NBA executive vice president of basketball operations Stu Jackson told reporters in a conference call after announcing the suspensions that the league's longstanding policy of invoking its leave-the-bench rule without considering additional factors made the Suns' suspensions automatic.

"A precedent wasn't necessary here," Jackson said. "The rule with respect to leaving the bench area during an altercation is very clear.

"Historically, if you break it, you will get suspended, regardless of what the circumstances are."

Now Amare was further away from the bench, but George left the bench and crossed onto the court. If the coaches didn't plush him back he would have kept going, but regardless, he left the bench. Maybe "the bench area" needs to be more clear along with the Drew Brees Neck Area.

But... but.... nobody in the NBA league office gives a shit about the Phoenix Suns! Especially so when the Suns are playing against a Spurs team coached by Big Daddy Pop(ovich), so that instance shouldn't count.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't have anybody else to discuss this with so I brought it here....

Paul George isn't suspended for game 7. I think it is bullshit. Now I know he only took a couple steps onto the court, but the letter of the law is that he should be suspended. I know there is no intent, and all the analysts are talking about that he wasn't instigating or anything....

...but isn't the rule in place to take the judgement of intent out of the equation? It is pretty clear.. you step on the court and you get a suspension. I don't think it should matter what your intent is. Change the rule if you are going to let somebody get away with it for the sake of ratings.

Not me. I think that rule is ridiculous. He did nothing that would warrant a suspension. They'd have looked like fools had they suspended him. The Pacers don't win game 7 without George and the NBA is hoping against hope they can get a Miami-Indy rematch. They aren't going to jeopardize that over a stupid rule.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not me. I think that rule is ridiculous. He did nothing that would warrant a suspension. They'd have looked like fools had they suspended him. The Pacers don't win game 7 without George and the NBA is hoping against hope they can get a Miami-Indy rematch. They aren't going to jeopardize that over a stupid rule.

Why would they want that 4-0 sweep?
The Pacers might not have even taking a game off the Hawks had Al Horford been healthy and playing. They nearly lose a series to a team missing their star player. I doubt anyone is excited to see a Pacers vs Heat right now.