• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Palmer to the Raiders getting close?

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is the restructuring setup:

2.5 mill for the rest of this year
12.5 2nd year - 7.5 mill guaranteed for the 2nd season
13 3rd year
15 fourth year

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he flops he'll walk away with 10 mill.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Now there is waffling on the 2013 pick being first roundable. It might be a 2nd set in stone.

Twitter

Saying the condition is if the Raiders play in the AFC championship game either of the next two years.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
No worries. I figured I'd do the same thing, but lucked out.

It does seem like a LOT to give up for an aging QB who is coming of an injury and may not be ready to play right away since he doesn't know the system.

This is proof in itself that Al Davis (rest his soul) was not the culprit behind all those awful and ridiculous trades / draft picks the Raiders were making throughout the years.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Like I said last week, I think Al Davis has a list in his "will" on all the player he wants to have in a Raiders uniform and Palmer was one of them. "who does that" they will suffer from years to come because they cant unload any guys they have to get those picks back. Raiders are dumb

On the other hand, these are the types of trades that can take Cinci to the top within a short period of time. If Dalton continues to develop with his young receiving corp, the sky will be the limit for this ball club.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah ok, being a legit SB contender has subjectivity to it. so let me put it this way, if you had to lay your money (with odds) on an AFC making the SB TODAY, would you lay it on the Raiders?

would they be the first team in your mind? second? third?

this is a HUGE commitment (mortgaging the future) just to make a push?

If any ONE position were to make a team a SB contender would be the QB position(at least being the root), however not saying it's SB for them, but a playoff push. They could've made a push with Campbell at QB, but with the injury to him making him out for them, they weren't going to let a 4-2 start go to waste when they are a game back of SD. They got a QB, with past success(subjective) & experience, so they're going for it.

Pot committed indeed. Mortgage a future? well in a sense they've started that process already but in football, you can still get players to contribute to the team more so in FA and late rd draft picks vs other sports IMO.

when was the last time they were in the playoffs? or how close? right now a gm back, give Carson a 2-3 week run through of the playbook and hope for the best if you're a raider fan. But, IMO, it shows they're not tanking it or calling it quits.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the other hand, these are the types of trades that can take Cinci to the top within a short period of time. If Dalton continues to develop with his young receiving corp, the sky will be the limit for this ball club.

easy deal to make for Cincy, the sky is the limit.... Add another WR, or improve OL and Dalton has a chance.

Geraint

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is proof in itself that Al Davis (rest his soul) was not the culprit behind all those awful and ridiculous trades / draft picks the Raiders were making throughout the years.

Alex Smith told Al who to draft. He likes speed.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If any ONE position were to make a team a SB contender would be the QB position(at least being the root), however not saying it's SB for them, but a playoff push. They could've made a push with Campbell at QB, but with the injury to him making him out for them, they weren't going to let a 4-2 start go to waste when they are a game back of SD. They got a QB, with past success(subjective) & experience, so they're going for it.

Pot committed indeed. Mortgage a future? well in a sense they've started that process already but in football, you can still get players to contribute to the team more so in FA and late rd draft picks vs other sports IMO.

when was the last time they were in the playoffs? or how close? right now a gm back, give Carson a 2-3 week run through of the playbook and hope for the best if you're a raider fan. But, IMO, it shows they're not tanking it or calling it quits.

i'm fine with what you're saying in theory, i get the 'push' and you gotta make a move sometime? it comes down to what you think of the current Raider team, my opinion is its too early to mortgage the future.

so what i was trying to get you to do is play GM of the Raiders, if given this decision to make NOW, what say you? cause explaining the theory is one thing, pulling the trigger is another.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm fine with what you're saying in theory, i get the 'push' and you gotta make a move sometime? it comes down to what you think of the current Raider team, my opinion is its too early to mortgage the future.

so what i was trying to get you to do is play GM of the Raiders, if given this decision to make NOW, what say you? cause explaining the theory is one thing, pulling the trigger is another.

No fucking gracias.

trancemeister

Niner Faithful
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hue Jackson calls the Palmer trade the greatest trade in football! Wha what?! I want what he's smoking!

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If I were Raiders GM, would I make the move?
For yes;
- Lost my starting QB(but not someone who can't be replaced)
- My backups aren't exactly ready nor trust worthy
- it's still borderline feasible in terms of getting Palmer(any) to digest most of the playbook in time w/o hampering the offense.
- He's a credible QB despite his flaws
- at 4-2, am I going to sit here and do nothing? Roll with Redman(or whoever) or Pryor as the QBs for the rest of the season and most likely miss out the playoffs? Or go for a high risk(losing high draft picks) high reward(maintain playoff chances)? If I miss out on the playoffs, I, as an owner, can say that I tried to help my team by giving them a chance.
- Creates a new image. Once so often viewed as sellers or the last stop for a player's decline, reaching out for talent(relatively young) shows I'm not waiting and trying to win now or "just win".
- Take advantage of a difunctional and winnable AFC West now rather than wait for rivals to get healthy and recoup to proper performances.
- Give Al Davis a reason to smile from the heavens, make a bold move for a bold owner.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If I were Raiders GM, would I make the move?
For yes;
- Lost my starting QB(but not someone who can't be replaced)
- My backups aren't exactly ready nor trust worthy
- it's still borderline feasible in terms of getting Palmer(any) to digest most of the playbook in time w/o hampering the offense.
- He's a credible QB despite his flaws
- at 4-2, am I going to sit here and do nothing? Roll with Redman(or whoever) or Pryor as the QBs for the rest of the season and most likely miss out the playoffs? Or go for a high risk(losing high draft picks) high reward(maintain playoff chances)? If I miss out on the playoffs, I, as an owner, can say that I tried to help my team by giving them a chance.
- Creates a new image. Once so often viewed as sellers or the last stop for a player's decline, reaching out for talent(relatively young) shows I'm not waiting and trying to win now or "just win".
- Take advantage of a difunctional and winnable AFC West now rather than wait for rivals to get healthy and recoup to proper performances.
- Give Al Davis a reason to smile from the heavens, make a bold move for a bold owner.

ok, and of course your opinion is fine.

again, it comes down to this current Raider team, we'll see how it goes?

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If my favorite team has a chance to make the playoffs by making this trade and does not without making this trade and that team hasn't made the playoffs in a long time, I am good with it.
We don't think it is worth the money or a mid first round pick or two, lets wait for next year doesn't cut it when you need to prove something to me as a fan.
I don;t think they are mortgaging their future either. Their coach got a QB he wanted for the next few years and their fans get to remain hopeful. And, the Raiders have been selling out more, that would not continue with Kyle B under center.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If my favorite team has a chance to make the playoffs by making this trade and does not without making this trade and that team hasn't made the playoffs in a long time, I am good with it.
We don't think it is worth the money or a mid first round pick or two, lets wait for next year doesn't cut it when you need to prove something to me as a fan.
I don;t think they are mortgaging their future either. Their coach got a QB he wanted for the next few years and their fans get to remain hopeful. And, the Raiders have been selling out more, that would not continue with Kyle B under center.

you've traded away most of your 2012 draft and now your 2013 1st rounder, that isn't mortgaging the future? it will be if this team is only good enough to make the play-offs, but lose round 1?

i would agree with you if the Raiders were a legit SB contender, cause its like adding a top FA to fill the final piece(s). but since you're only going so far as saying 'just to make the play-offs', you're implying they're not SB contenders.

so you lose two years in a row cause your TEAM wasn't good enough, then in 2013 you haven't added a 1st round prospect last two years? you haven't even added a 2nd and 3rd from 2012?

BUT, you got Seymour, Palmer, and Pryor.........are you on the upswing or downswing? is that message you sent to fans now still good enough in 2013?

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Honestly Cal, the Raiders could have made a push with Campbell, but that would have been difficult considering the Raiders are betting on Campbell and his inconsistencies in managing an offense. The Raiders are essentially built like old school teams such as the 85 Bears and the Crimson Tide of years past: solid defense and bruising running game. However, with Campbell there, teams were loading up the box with 8 men shutting down the run.

Getting Palmer is a risk at his age and considering what the Raiders gave up, but he can also give the Raiders a legitimate passing attack for the first time since Gannon was their QB back in '02. With the speed the Raiders have on the outside (Moore and Ford) and with good possession receivers (Schillens, Murphy, and TE Boss), they have a legitimate passing attack. It will take Palmer some time to get acclimated (and he shouldn't start this Sunday against a weak Chiefs team), but he also has experience working with Hugh Jackson at USC and at Cincinnati.

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Considering the Raiders gave up a 3rd rounder for Pryor and two potential first rounders for Palmer, there's no question they're mortgaging their future. If I can use the analogy of what the Sharks are doing in the NHL, they are trading away picks to sure up their holes on the team.

However, getting a QB (despite being 31 years of age, not playing football for a good period, and having injuries) of Palmer's caliber is something the Raiders needed to do. They have Seymour who anchors that solid front 4, a solid LB core, an OL that is actually pretty good, one of the top 3 RB's in the league, spectacular kickers on their special teams, and a good group of wideouts, the timing was right for this move. Even if Campbell had not gotten hurt, this is the move that I feel most definitely puts the Raiders on top in the AFC West and probably puts them in a discussion with other teams in the AFC.