• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Palmer to the Raiders getting close?

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
you've traded away most of your 2012 draft and now your 2013 1st rounder, that isn't mortgaging the future? it will be if this team is only good enough to make the play-offs, but lose round 1?

i would agree with you if the Raiders were a legit SB contender, cause its like adding a top FA to fill the final piece(s). but since you're only going so far as saying 'just to make the play-offs', you're implying they're not SB contenders.

so you lose two years in a row cause your TEAM wasn't good enough, then in 2013 you haven't added a 1st round prospect last two years? you haven't even added a 2nd and 3rd from 2012?

BUT, you got Seymour, Palmer, and Pryor.........are you on the upswing or downswing? is that message you sent to fans now still good enough in 2013?

The Raiders traded most likely a lower first round pick and a a first or second rounder. That isn't mortgaging the future. Any playoff team should be a SB contender and choosing to not make the playoffs to have the opportunity to pick Balmer, Harris or Carter isn't going to sweat me that much. Teams that have a long history of suck need to show fans that they can make the playoffs. A team like the 49ers and Raiders should never expect fans to come out and see a rebuilding team when they have failed in every one of their rebuild attempts over the past decade.
The Raiders are going to get some compensatory picks, no?

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Palmer will now have 2 weeks to digest the playbook.... let's see what he can do...

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Raiders traded most likely a lower first round pick and a a first or second rounder. That isn't mortgaging the future. Any playoff team should be a SB contender and choosing to not make the playoffs to have the opportunity to pick Balmer, Harris or Carter isn't going to sweat me that much. Teams that have a long history of suck need to show fans that they can make the playoffs. A team like the 49ers and Raiders should never expect fans to come out and see a rebuilding team when they have failed in every one of their rebuild attempts over the past decade.
The Raiders are going to get some compensatory picks, no?

if your TEAM is good enough to make the play-offs, they'll make the play-offs. if you need to use your high draft picks to do it, thats being Daniel Snyder.

now you're downplaying the 1st round picks (note the plural)? yeah it ain't top 10 picks but any fan of any team will take 1st round picks versus giving it away. yes, you still have to draft the right player, but thats another matter not to used here to downplay the pick.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is somewhat related, but I hope Palmer's nosedive after sitting out for so long, with no practice time with his new team, and what has already been a declining career... would shine light on the reality of bringing in Terrell Owens at this stage of the season.

The odds of that being a positive outcome are very slim. Would you really want to wager the great locker room chemistry and atmosphere just in hopes that Owens might behave after he doesn't get 10 TDs in 10 games?

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This is somewhat related, but I hope Palmer's nosedive after sitting out for so long, with no practice time with his new team, and what has already been a declining career... would shine light on the reality of bringing in Terrell Owens at this stage of the season.

The odds of that being a positive outcome are very slim. Would you really want to wager the great locker room chemistry and atmosphere just in hopes that Owens might behave after he doesn't get 10 TDs in 10 games?

I heard on KNBR today that the 49ers are not attending his workout in California tomorrow and are not interested in signing him. Probably a good indicator that they think Edwards is healthy now.

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
if your TEAM is good enough to make the play-offs, they'll make the play-offs. if you need to use your high draft picks to do it, thats being Daniel Snyder.

now you're downplaying the 1st round picks (note the plural)? yeah it ain't top 10 picks but any fan of any team will take 1st round picks versus giving it away. yes, you still have to draft the right player, but thats another matter not to used here to downplay the pick.

Some teams might not be good enough to make the playoffs with Boller but are good enough with a better QB, no?

I would trade draft picks for the right player.

Geraint

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We could have dealt Alex to the Raiders for the two 1st round picks. He would be an upgrade on Campbell. From here we only need two or three division wins to make the playoffs and any QB could achieve that. We combine the two picks with our 1st round pick and trade for Luck, making the Superbowl winning team complete. :cheer2:

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Originally Published: October 18, 2011

Draft implications in Palmer dealRaiders better positioned than some acknowledge, and Cincy simply scores big

EmailPrintComments60 By Mel Kiper Jr.
ESPN Insider
Archive

Frank Victores/US Presswire
The Raiders can afford to give up a lot of draft value to land quarterback Carson Palmer.

Just a few days ago, I was tweeting away on the topic of former first-round picks that ended up with the Raiders. I couldn't believe all the names that were popping up: Rod Woodson, Jeff George, Lincoln Kennedy, Warren Sapp, Tyrone Wheatley, Regan Upshaw, Ronnie Lott, Jerry Rice, Jim Plunkett, Greg Bell, Brian Holloway, Mike Haynes, James Lofton, DeAngelo Hall, Mike Williams, Richard Seymour, Kyle Boller, Jarvis Moss, Javon Walker and Aaron Curry. I could go on -- really. But so can the Raiders, apparently.

Time to add another one to the list.

Carson Palmer is the latest former jewel draft pick for one team that has landed with the Raiders. My initial thought? The Bengals have landed a major draft haul and deserve a ton of credit, while the Raiders are better positioned to "go for it" than some give them credit for. And in both cases, it has a lot to do with the draft.

Raiders implications

Before you simply gasp at how empty this makes the Raiders' 2012 draft appear, let's remember that they deserve a lot of credit for creating draft flexibility by landing so many great value picks over the last few years. I've talked about this trend, as have my colleagues -- the team has built solid depth with late gets. I often get Raiders fans riled up because I question the team's sense of draft board value, but I always give Oakland credit for the talent it keeps finding late.

The last few drafts have netted plenty, and already this year they have guys like Denarius Moore, Stefen Wisniewski, DeMarcus Van Dyke and even Taiwan Jones getting major reps and playing key roles -- and the Raiders didn't have a first-round pick in April. When you're building so much roster depth out of picks past the first round (with wins to go with it), you can be a little more flexible in taking a big shot on a guy like Palmer. Then consider the raw value debate. If you can make the deal, you assume you are going to be more competitive. More wins means a lower draft pick that you're trading away. Don't get me wrong, I hate seeing draft picks sent away. But frame this around the position involved here. Even if the Raiders stood pat and tried to survive with the quarterbacks they have now, they still wouldn't have been in a position to pick one of the top QBs in next year's draft.

Palmer is a guy they feel is still a major talent at quarterback. The combination of good drafting in recent years and the value proposition of getting a solid QB might have made this an easier call than some think. And lastly, don't forget that Oakland should pick up several compensatory picks due to free-agent departures, so the cupboard isn't totally bare for 2012.

Even if this appears to be based on desperation following the Jason Campbell injury, it's still a trade idea that could have been considered. Factor in Palmer's experience with Hue Jackson, something the Raiders clearly feel can make this an easier transition, and the trade looks aggressive, not merely desperate.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bengals implications

You have to give the Bengals serious credit here. Back at the draft I praised them with a high grade for seemingly addressing the pending concerns about Palmer by drafting A.J. Green and Andy Dalton in the first two rounds. Here we are months later, and not only are the Bengals off to a 4-2 start with both of those players grading out extremely well, they've now taken what was essentially a sunk asset and flipped it for a major draft haul.

Now you're looking at a Bengals team with a lot of young talent, underrated continuity in its transition and a bounty of draft assets in the next two years. The trade as constructed sends Cincinnati a certain first-round pick in 2012 and either a first or second in 2013. The Bengals have essentially doubled their selections in the range where you expect to get your impact talent. Consider what they did with their first two picks this year and there's plenty of reason to be excited in Cincinnati.

And just look at how the circumstances lined up. They see Campbell get hurt for a team with a coach who knows and respects Palmer, they had to have David Garrard turn down overtures from Oakland, and they had to have a team in the rare spot of being without a serious option at quarterback while in the midst of a push for the playoffs in a vulnerable division.

It just all worked out. Their patience was rewarded. And suddenly, fellow AFC North teams have to be looking at the young core Cincy has, plus the bounty of early picks over the next two years, and wonder if there might be a developing bully in the division. And that statement is no more odd than anything else that took place today.

Mel Kiper has been the premier name in NFL draft prospect evaluations for more than three decades. He started putting out his annual draft guides in 1978 and started contributing to ESPN as an analyst in 1984. For more from Mel, check out his annual draft publications or his home page. He can also be found on Twitter.