• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Name some things that drive you fucking nuts

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People who steal co-workers lunches out of company refrigerators.

Or the folks who take the last cup of coffee from the machine then don't make a new pot of coffee or don't turn off the power to the coffee machine.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
from last week ... http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/22/upshot/rent-or-buy-the-math-is-changing.html#

the never ending real estate proviso ... location location location

And timing....right before the bubble burst a co-worker sold his house in Palm Springs. He bought his Palm Springs house in the 80's for roughly 200,000 and sold during the housing craze for 1.1 million. Moved to Atlanta, rented because he wasn't sure how long he was staying. Then the housing market burst and paid $250,000 for his lake front house. Best part he paid cash for a house that today is now worth 650,000 again.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah, daily occurrence here.

No kidding. I was playing golf with a friend at a course down there and we were facing one direction towards the green. Then a cell phone tower between us and the next hole got hit by lightning. We turned around and had about 10 seconds to run before we got drenched. It was sunny where we were looking.

Ten minutes later, it was fine.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And timing....right before the bubble burst a co-worker sold his house in Palm Springs. He bought his Palm Springs house in the 80's for roughly 200,000 and sold during the housing craze for 1.1 million. Moved to Atlanta, rented because he wasn't sure how long he was staying. Then the housing market burst and paid $250,000 for his lake front house. Best part he paid cash for a house that today is now worth 650,000 again.

That's one lucky SOB.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

yup ... true for the majority of markets ... but some markets are materially immune from "timing"

but I "alledgedly" live in what the New York Times calls a "global super-city" (game 7 riots and all) which possibly may never (thats a long time) see another housing bubble burst ... so there is a pretty onerous (no pun intended) barrier to new home ownership here

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I got lucky on the bubble, although not on the same scale.

Bought our house in MD just before the rocket took off and sold it 6 years later for double. Then bought double the house (sq ft wise) here for less.

I wish I could say it was planning. But it was all dumb fucking luck.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got unlucky on the bubble, and will just leave it at that. Burns me to talk about it.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got unlucky on the bubble, and will just leave it at that. Burns me to talk about it.

Thats why that co-worker of mine made out. Around north Atlanta they threw up housing faster than you can count to 1. So too many houses and not enough folks that could buy. It screwed me over also because my timing was like yours with my house in Pittsburgh so when the time came to try and get a cheap house down there I couldn't.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bought our house in MD just before the rocket took off and sold it 6 years later for double. Then bought double the house (sq ft wise) here for less.

Midwest pricing is the bomb diggity. Family in Fort Wayne has a home they got for about $50k more than my parents place in Pittsburgh, and it's double the footage. Pittsburgh was never really hit by the market collapse like others were though.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thats what he said also! :)

And the fact he lived in Palm Springs and moved to Atlanta that isn't really what you call a step up or desired move at anytime.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Midwest pricing is the bomb diggity. Family in Fort Wayne has a home they got for about $50k more than my parents place in Pittsburgh, and it's double the footage. Pittsburgh was never really hit by the market collapse like others were though.

True my issue was the timing of buying and then the bubble burst I am still ok but can't move or I would lose out on my house since the value hasn't fully recovered.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a neighbouring city near me where enrollment is way up, theyve been known to build new schools and, upon opening for the school year, they need to bring in the portables

great planning!

Happens around here all the time too. I live about a mile from a high school that was operating at 170% capacity the day that it opened :L Had to re-zone again a couple years later because they ran out of space for more portable classrooms and because the students parking all over every street for a 2 mile radius was creating a huge safety and crime hazard.

Didn't help that they re-zoned a couple of (very) wealthy neighbo(u)hoods to this school because they build million dollar homes in one of the 4 school districts that were under control by the state for being so far below minimum test scores.

But when a bunch of white helicopter parents start screaming, they get their way.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Parts of the southeast are nice too.

You know, like Charlotte for instance. I love comparing the size/price/land of my house to places in DC, San Fran, NY, etc.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you go on the other side of the Malahat on Vancouver Island, you can find some pretty nice land for a pretty good price.

/That's what I did :D

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Parts of the southeast are nice too.

You know, like Charlotte for instance. I love comparing the size/price/land of my house to places in DC, San Fran, NY, etc.

Texas too. My sister in laws house is huge and beautiful for half of what ours cost.

Its in Texas though so I still win.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But when a bunch of white helicopter parents start screaming, they get their way.

White helicopter parents? Never heard that term before. You really do learn something new everyday.

Thanks, Sabres. You know, senior citizens, although slow and dangerous behind the wheel, can still serve a purpose.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When the Ravens and Cowboys play each other, I root for Natural Disaster.