• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Name some things that drive you fucking nuts

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, I'm just now seeing the exchange/pics. What an asshole. Here I went praising him for his eulogy on FB (even though I can't stand the guy) and he's being a douche in the background.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, I'm just now seeing the exchange/pics. What an asshole. Here I went praising him for his eulogy on FB (even though I can't stand the guy) and he's being a douche in the background.

lol

caman!!! .. was everyone there supposed to have their head down and wailing away in sorrow ... its not like he was the only world leader on the prowl (see the dubya picture in the bullshitting thread)

the serious reactions to these photos (and Michelles reaction) is so fuckin comical

Roberto Schmidt: AFP photog tells story of Obama selfie pic, which he calls a "seemingly trivial image."

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I captured the scene reflexively. All around me in the stadium, South Africans were dancing, singing and laughing to honour their departed leader. It was more like a carnival atmosphere, not at all morbid. The ceremony had already gone on for two hours and would last another two. The atmosphere was totally relaxed – I didn’t see anything shocking in my viewfinder, president of the US or not. ...

I took these photos totally spontaneously, without thinking about what impact they might have. At the time, I thought the world leaders were simply acting like human beings, like me and you. I doubt anyone could have remained totally stony faced for the duration of the ceremony, while tens of thousands of people were celebrating in the stadium. For me, the behaviour of these leaders in snapping a selfie seems perfectly natural. I see nothing to complain about, and probably would have done the same in their place. The AFP team worked hard to display the reaction that South African people had for the passing of someone they consider as a father. We moved about 500 pictures, trying to portray their true feelings, and this seemingly trivial image seems to have eclipsed much of this collective work. ...
I confess too that it makes me a little sad we are so obsessed with day-to-day trivialities, instead of things of true importance.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
seems more people are up in arms that Obama took a selfie than the fact he shook hands with a Castro lol

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good stuff explains a lot maybe not the flirting lol

I captured the scene reflexively. All around me in the stadium, South Africans were dancing, singing and laughing to honour their departed leader. It was more like a carnival atmosphere, not at all morbid. The ceremony had already gone on for two hours and would last another two. The atmosphere was totally relaxed – I didn’t see anything shocking in my viewfinder, president of the US or not. ...

I took these photos totally spontaneously, without thinking about what impact they might have. At the time, I thought the world leaders were simply acting like human beings, like me and you. I doubt anyone could have remained totally stony faced for the duration of the ceremony, while tens of thousands of people were celebrating in the stadium. For me, the behaviour of these leaders in snapping a selfie seems perfectly natural. I see nothing to complain about, and probably would have done the same in their place. The AFP team worked hard to display the reaction that South African people had for the passing of someone they consider as a father. We moved about 500 pictures, trying to portray their true feelings, and this seemingly trivial image seems to have eclipsed much of this collective work. ...
I confess too that it makes me a little sad we are so obsessed with day-to-day trivialities, instead of things of true importance.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wasnt a funeral, and from what I heard it was 4 hours and was light at times with kind of a celebration type attitude.
Geez if I had cameras on me at actual funerals I am sure there would be smiles on my face at times when I am happy I see people I havent for a while or if something strikes me as funny.

I figured 'they' were going to blow the Castro handshake out of proportion and as silly as I think that is, they are harping on this more which is even sillier.

seems more people are up in arms that Obama took a selfie than the fact he shook hands with a Castro lol

You beat me to it.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good stuff explains a lot maybe not the flirting lol

it was a funny set of stills ... but again ... a moment in time ... who knows... maybe Michelle noticed cameras on her and thought "oh shit ... look dour ... this is a funeral, right?"

It's also worth pointing out that Schmidt refutes the general narrative that Michelle Obama was upset that her husband was taking part in the selfie. "In reality, just a few seconds earlier the first lady was herself joking with those around her, [British Prime Minister David Cameron and Danish Prime Minister Helle Thorning-Schmidt] included," the photographer writes. "Her stern look was captured by chance."

blindbaby

i want to bang on the drum all day
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best wishes for Dash and Matty. I hope all works out well for your sisters.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look long enough for something to be offended about, and you will find it.

dont get me wrong I wasnt over the top offended by the pictures it just seemed more odd to me that he was having such a good time (while Michelle looked so pissed) the guy who took the picture explained it perfectly and I had not read that originally so it all makes sense. he was in his 90s so his passing should be celebrated (although I still think a selfie is over the top in that situation) the castro thing I could care less about. plus it would be bigger outrage if obama blew him off or vice versa.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

thanks. and thanks to the others for the good thoughts. its been very positive for the most part but she still has to battle and fight and go through alot.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

thanks. and thanks to the others for the good thoughts. its been very positive for the most part but she still has to battle and fight and go through alot.

Seconded - Thanks to all - Talked with my sister last night, she's still pretty upbeat considering, the upcoming weeks will determine the next course of action.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
best wishes to you and your families guys

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dont get me wrong I wasnt over the top offended by the pictures it just seemed more odd to me that he was having such a good time (while Michelle looked so pissed) the guy who took the picture explained it perfectly and I had not read that originally so it all makes sense. he was in his 90s so his passing should be celebrated (although I still think a selfie is over the top in that situation) the castro thing I could care less about. plus it would be bigger outrage if obama blew him off or vice versa.

lol would it have made things better if they used a regular camera instead of an iphone (wait BO is taking the picture ... blackberry :) )

and its not a "classic" selfie anyways since it is a picture of a group and there are no duck faces being made :nod:

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol would it have made things better if they used a regular camera instead of an iphone (wait BO is taking the picture ... blackberry :) )

and its not a "classic" selfie anyways since it is a picture of a group and there are no duck faces being made :nod:

well there is a fuck you face to the right at least

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe one day Cubans will be legal in America.

/of course I mean cigars.

Meh... Dominicans can fill the role of Cubans in a pinch.

Last edited by a moderator:

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I gotcha.

The comments about the handshake are more what I was getting at anyway, and in general - not aimed at anyone here. He shook hands with a commie, so he's the devil. But if he had snubbed the guy, the same people would scream about him being an inexperienced ass for snubbing a foreign head of state. There is no winning.

As for the other pics, it seems to me that Mrs Obama just has one of those "usually looks mad" faces when she is not outwardly smiling.

It's amusing on the surface, but some people are just going too far with it. Because they have been waiting desperately for this moment. Any moment.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gotcha.

The comments about the handshake are more what I was getting at anyway, and in general - not aimed at anyone here. He shook hands with a commie, so he's the devil. But if he had snubbed the guy, the same people would scream about him being an inexperienced ass for snubbing a foreign head of state. There is no winning.

As for the other pics, it seems to me that Mrs Obama just has one of those "usually looks mad" faces when she is not outwardly smiling.

It's amusing on the surface, but some people are just going too far with it. Because they have been waiting desperately for this moment. Any moment.

yeah I see that.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gotcha.

I was thinking about this in reference to the last funeral I was at earlier this year. Funerals are weird in that obviously they are somber occasions where you are mourning losing someone. But I think you are also seeing family and friends you don't get to see very often and they are exciting and fun sometimes for that reason. It's a real swirl of emotions. I remember at a reception seeing some second cousins, chatting, and feeling bad that we were having a good time.

As a general note - it's going to be increasingly hard to be President because WAY too big a deal is made of WAY too many things. I think that goes to your larger point, 43.

But I digress...