• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Name some things that drive you fucking nuts

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My take away about Pittsburgh drivers/roads after 6 years living there as a DC resident:

Pittsburgh drivers freak out when they see a tunnel and slow the fuck down to a crawl. I am not sure if they think it ACTUALLY gets smaller the farther in you go or just a general fear of roads with ceilings but my word do they crush the brakes going into them for no reason, especially the Sq Hill and Liberty.

They call tunnels tubes. Hmm.

The civil engineers have decided to put stop signs at the end of some on ramps. This is a terrible idea.

Traffic can get congested but generally moves at least. It was a vacation from DC traffic which just blows. Traffic happens but generally you can get where you are going at a reasonable rate. This excludes 28. Fuck that road. Fuck that road straight to hell!

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just wait until they move into more HOT lanes - High Occupancy Toll.

We're supposed to get some of those in Charlotte in the next couple years. Essentially the government doesn't fund the building of the road. Instead, a private company funds the building and then signs a contract to collect tolls for X number of years.

The lane is free if you have enough people in the car (not sure if it's going to be 2 or 3 here) but you pay a toll to use it otherwise. Basically you get to pay to go faster. I think they maybe already have them in SoCal.

i think they have those around DC.. the company i used to work for handled the construction if i'm not mistaken

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Driving in the New York Metroplitan area at any point around rush hour is just a joke. Too many people, not enough roads. Forget it if it's raining out. You want to know why people in this area of the country have no patience? It's because they have about 2 hours of their lives completely wasted every single day.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My take away about Pittsburgh drivers/roads after 6 years living there as a DC resident:

Pittsburgh drivers freak out when they see a tunnel and slow the fuck down to a crawl. I am not sure if they think it ACTUALLY gets smaller the farther in you go or just a general fear of roads with ceilings but my word do they crush the brakes going into them for no reason, especially the Sq Hill and Liberty.

The civil engineers have decided to put stop signs at the end of some on ramps. This is a terrible idea.

Traffic can get congested but generally moves at least. It was a vacation from DC traffic which just blows. Traffic happens but generally you can get where you are going at a reasonable rate. This excludes 28. Fuck that road. Fuck that road straight to hell!

pittsburgh roads/traffic can be summed up with 1 word. construction.

they worked on 79 from wexford passed neville island (5 miles-ish?) for my entire college career.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The worst for me is I get to choose between 28 or 79 to McKnight(mare). That said, North Hills traffic<<<<<<South Hills Traffic

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

they worked on 79 from wexford passed neville island (5 miles-ish?) for my entire college career.

Yeah, they're still doing that pretty much every year.

sbb122

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 2 things that I despise on my 14 mile commute through approximately 50 traffic signals on rte 65 daily are these.

People who hit their brakes going UPHILL. Happens every morning right past Camp Horne Rd.

And the fucktards who are approaching a GREEN light and decide to tap their brakes like they are having an epileptic seizure in their foot.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This excludes 28. Fuck that road. Fuck that road straight to hell!
The only frequent reference to "tubes" is the Liberty Tubes. Mostly due to their shape. Fort Pitt Tubes? nah, Squirrel Hill Tubes? nope

+1 on 28.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

People in Buffalo joke that they have 4 seasons: Almost Winter, Winter, Still Winter, and Road Work.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This was in my post replying to sabresfan. It's always under construction and the road sucks ! When I said "sucks" I was not referring to traffic (there are a lot of cities with worse traffic problems than Pittsburgh) I was saying that the I-79 is the shittyest interstate I have driven on (trust me I've been on a lot of them) the road surface is terrible !! Even the I-90 in PA, down to one lane because they are working on it half the time but again I-90 in NY, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois .....is in pretty good shape as far as road surface, in PA it sucks.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People in Buffalo joke that they have 4 seasons: Almost Winter, Winter, Still Winter, and Road Work.

Same joke used in Michigan too.

pittsburgh doesn't even care about the weather. they'll have roads under construction all year round. and by 'under construction' i mean barreled off so you can't drive on that side of the road all winter, even though they make no progress.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
pittsburgh doesn't even care about the weather. they'll have roads under construction all year round. and by 'under construction' i mean barreled off so you can't drive on that side of the road all winter, even though they make no progress.

I think that's better than NC where they finish the roadwork but leave the construction zone signs and reduced speed limit (with, not coincidentally, higher fines) for months after they're done working on it.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone has been putting protest signs about road work up in this area. Almost any place there is construction someone will put these signs up as a protest.
end-road-work.jpg

I usually shake my fist and say "I hear you buddy" as I pass one.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone has been putting protest signs about road work up in this area. Almost any place there is construction someone will put these signs up as a protest.
end-road-work.jpg

LOL, I see those here too, I always wondered why people would look happy and start driving faster...all this time it was a protest !?!.....Cool

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
end-road-work.jpg

Am I the only person who has "going green this time by, we're going green this time by...." Running through their head when they see this sign.