• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Made the Jump to DirecTV

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last week and it got installed Thursday.

So far I like it, although I noticed there are a ton of infomercial channels and we already had something freeze up on us tonight and I had to reboot. The picture quality however is eons better than cable.

My biggest concern was the dish and where it would be placed, I think these things are unsightly on a house but the installers put it on the first floor roof in an obscure south-facing part of the house in the back yard (where the trash cans are) and unless you come into the house and watch TV you will not know we have a dish at all.

Time Warner wouldn't work with us at all, and my bill was about to approach $200 a month for phone, internet and cable and I said that is enough and I started shopping two weeks ago. That was the mid tier cable package with two premium add ons and didn't include HBO or Cinemax.

Total rip off.

pete6835

Buuuuuurp!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Direct TV was good, but bundling is the way to go. DTV starts out good, and then all of a sudden your bill grows, and it more than doubled real quick and that's without internet or phone. Verizon/Fios is great, but they haven't actively ventured into TWC territory, even though they can. Bottom line $150 a month for fiber optic 50mbps internet, phone and a decent TV package for two years. + a $250 visa gift card.

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got DTV and learned a few tricks. Whenever your contract is up, threaten to leave. They lower the bill and throw in free HiDef.
Also, DTV's center ice package can be made free by the same tactic in lie of free HiDef.

They due work with you on your bill if you stay on top of it.
DTV has a partnership with several phone companies, for me it's Century Link, that if you pay through the phone company they knock off an extra $5 per month.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what I heard, Howdy - a buddy of mine has gotten the NFL package free for the last 5 years and talked to me about some tricks of the trade.

My first year will average $167 a month for TV, interwebz and phone. Unfortunately TW has a lock in our area so it was them or DTV. U-Verse just recently has been able to provide internet and phone - who we bundled with on the package - but not the TV service yet.

I'm going to be eating it in the second year from what my buddy told me but he said once past the 24 months I'll be getting a lot more perks than I was with TW.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Direct TV was good, but bundling is the way to go. DTV starts out good, and then all of a sudden your bill grows, and it more than doubled real quick and that's without internet or phone. Verizon/Fios is great, but they haven't actively ventured into TWC territory, even though they can. Bottom line $150 a month for fiber optic 50mbps internet, phone and a decent TV package for two years. + a $250 visa gift card.

Fios was my original pick but like I said, they aren't offered here. We live in a kind of secluded part of Yorba Linda and TW has been the sole provider for almost the last 30 years until DirecTV showed up maybe 3-4 years ago. They reamed people and had it real good in our area. My dad used to bitch constantly and that was 15 years ago but they had no other option and he was like me, he didn't want his house looking like a NASA space station.

Ours is $167/month for the Premiere Package, 3mbps (their tops but fiber optic and we don't share - we currently have 20mbps with TW but share it with the neighborhood) internet and phone service and got a Samsung Galaxy tablet as the promotion.

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Direct TV is fucken horrible that's why I dumped them, I got Uverse now & love it I have Uverse 300 plus Showtime & Stars & Uverse Internet for 20Mbs $110 a month, I don't have a home phone because It dont need It. I have a cell phone already. Uverse is the way to go I never have any signal problems. Ive also gotten $200 reward card

Last edited by a moderator:

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
U-Verse doesn't offer TV in our area yet, just the phone and internet. We had U-Verse at another place a few years ago and had the U450 package and honestly I was not overly impressed, but it was way better than anything Time Warner offered.

Land line is for the kids, they know how to use the touch phones for games, but not to make calls. Hopefully I can ditch that once they are old enough to use one of the smart phones.

When we moved into this house Ms. Puck was irked that TW was basically our only option, she has been a strong AT&T supporter for years. She said their customer service is shit, but who's isn't these days?

Last edited by a moderator:

DOD0083

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep on top of Verizon for their FIOS service, I pestered them for over a year and they finally came out trenches me a line to my house. My bill runs $300/month but that covers EVERYTHING, HD TV package with HD DVR and 3 HD receivers in the bedrooms, landline (we call overseas a lot so kind of important to have), 50mps internet (and No sharing bandwidth) with wi-fi router so we have a dedicated hotspot for all our wireless crap, and our cell phones with 2 smart phones on the plan. It is a lot each month but it pays for all in one bill and the service is impeccable. Had TWC for 10 years and hated it that because we shared bandwidth with our neighbors and paid $40 for internet that during peak times had the speed of dial up service.

oxnardkingsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also switched to Verizon FIOS a couple of months ago after many years with Time-Warner/GTE Americast/Jones Intercable. It's taking me a little time to get used to their menu and channel guide plus all the new station numbers but I love the service. Many more HD stations plus the 50mbs internet is great. All this plus the land line phone for just $20 more than I was paying for just cable TV.

Ox