• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT - London Olympics thread

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
mexico about to pull the upset on brazil in mens soccer final

2-0 15 mins to go

mexico scored 29 seconds into the game

way to rep' concacaf mexicans!!!

/canada lost to them in concacaf qualifying semi's

Brazil still looking for that elusive gold medal in Olympic men's soccer...

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
At least five with the bronze today (Silver in both men's and women's rowing eights, AVK with the silver in K-1 1000, and Oldershaw with the bronze in canoeing).

Ahhh, thx. I've been subject to USA coverage this week.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USA gets bronze in the mountain biking. That looks utterly grueling.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Scott was going to pull out that match, but he just couldn't finish his takedowns. Pity, he was wrestling so well.

He can still get a bronze, though.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Canadians probably won have done better in the kayak events if they would have removed all the camping equipment from the storage compartments prior to the race...

/those sleeping bags etc. aren't light...

this stat surprised me. does the medal haul feel like a bit of a disappointment to anyone else?
maybe because it's a bit heavy on 3rd place finishes vs only one lonely gold.

‏@mirtle
Canada's 18th medal today ties them with Beijing. One more would be second highest total ever in non-boycotted Summer Games. (Best is 22.)

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this stat surprised me. does the medal haul feel like a bit of a disappointment to anyone else?
maybe because it's a bit heavy on 3rd place finishes vs only one lonely gold.

‏@mirtle
Canada's 18th medal today ties them with Beijing. One more would be second highest total ever in non-boycotted Summer Games. (Best is 22.)

I don't know puck, I think this could well be remembered as the Games where 'Canada got hosed'. Aside from the women's semi-final soccer game, one of our boxers was denied a medal where he clearly won a fight, and our synchronized swimmers fell victim to bizarre judging. Having said that, there were several athletes that were favoured to medal, and they didn't deliver, but we also have some nice surprises as well (including strong showings that just fell short of the podium).

Oh well, it was still a very entertaining Games to watch.

Edit: Canada DQ'ed in the 4x100 men's relay (would have had another bronze as they finished 3rd), but one of our dudes stepped out of our lane :L

Last edited by a moderator:

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know puck, I think this could well be remembered as the Games where 'Canada got hosed'. Aside from the women's semi-final soccer game, one of our boxers was denied a medal where he clearly won a fight, and our synchronized swimmers fell victim to bizarre judging. Having said that, there were several athletes that were favoured to medal, and they didn't deliver, but we also have some nice surprises as well (including strong showings that just fell short of the podium).

Oh well, it was still a very entertaining Games to watch.

Edit: Canada DQ'ed in the 4x100 men's relay (would have had another bronze as they finished 3rd), but one of our dudes stepped out of our lane :L

Yeah, Canada's had a number of rough breaks this year, I think you highlighted most of them. Also some very impressive performances that didn't medal (the decathlete really showed a lot of potential finishing fifth, when he obviously had minimal experience or technique).

A lot of Canada's supposed "elite" athletes have a shitty attitude, though. Not negative - in fact the opposite. Too positive with shitty performances. Milos looked ecstatic when he lost to Tsonga because he played him close. World champs and gold-medal favourites Van Koeverdan (kayak) and Catherine Pendrel (mountain bike) seem so blase about disappointing finishes. I prefer to see athletes pissed off when they perform under expectations.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
yeah, we got hosed out of a few more medals, or chances at medals, or in soccer's case an upgrade of a medal.
bad luck like a toe-violation over 400m costing a bronze, to having a freaking horse DQ'd.
Pendral was coming off of a broken collar-bone, the dude who ran the 5k today had the flu since Tuesday....

still - our lowest Gold total since 1976. feels empty-ish.
here's a good read by Mirtle: Encouraging signs for Canada?s Olympic future - The Globe and Mail

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The countdown to 100 medals is on people.

We did it!

100! :ipw:

american-flag.jpg

Michelle Jenneke wants to congratulate us with a dance...

Last edited by a moderator:

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL...Eloco...did you have any idea that someone photoshopped a guy into that vid?