• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT - London Olympics thread

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL!!

That's BRUTAL!!

So will Canadians remember these games as the Olympics Canada got the SHAFT?

Yeah. Still some memorable performances for Canadians, but way too many judging errors, DQs (valid or invalid), crashes and bad calls to ignore. It was a painful one.

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Olympic torch looks like one of those bloomin' onions from Outback Steakhouse. :shocked:

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw too many events judging wtf's to wonder how legit these results really are. Boxing, fencing, diving, rhythmic gymnastics, you name it - either just shady refereeing, blind or bought off judges, past gold medal winners getting the benefits, and disqualifications that made no sense.

I'll remember these Olympics for these results.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll remember these Olympics for these results.

I think those were mostly exceptions. I thought these were a great Games and I'll remember them for Phelps, the U.S. women's gymnastic team, the many repeated champions that stood tall again, and the same thing the Olympics always gives me... pride in my country, but more than that, hope for us all and the world.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
I think those were mostly exceptions. I thought these were a great Games and I'll remember them for Phelps, the U.S. women's gymnastic team, the many repeated champions that stood tall again, and the same thing the Olympics always gives me... pride in my country, but more than that, hope for us all and the world.

sure, easy for you to say as an American who was on the right side of those questionable calls. :rolleyes2:

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For clarification, you can step on the line in the straightaway, but not on the curve - I did not know that.

Who the heck comes up with these idiotic rules? I thought if somebody stepped on the line it was an automatic disqualification. I guess not.

There's were definately some interesting calls in these games. One that stood out to me was when the US team challenged the score of one of their Gymnasts on the balance beam. The original score put her in 4th place out of the medals. When they said the decision would be made by Nellie Kim who was a Russian Gymnast back in 1980. I'm sure the Romanian team knew they were SCREWED. They were right too.LOL

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
or the British diver who shat the bed, then asked for a do-over because he was distracted by a flashing camera in the crowd. whaddya know, he got the extra dive, and gained significant points on the next dive. why yes, it WAS enough to bump him into bronze medal position. :L

or the silver medalist British boxer who was soundly thrashed by the Canadian (Custio Clayton) in the quarterfinals, yet somehow came away ahead on the scorecards. Robbed Clayton of making the final 4, but hey... the home crowd was happy, so who gives a shit.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
"After the 2012 Olympics , 73 of the current 204 National Olympic Committees have never won an Olympic medal."

guess I shouldn't complain too much about a pile of bronzes

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did this get posted ( if so my bad )

Controversy in Olympic men's freestyle wrestling Sunday - Canada Olympics | Examiner.com

/for me this olympics gave me an even lesser impression of the almost wholly "judged" sports.

Watching team rythmic gymastics sunday morn as i was eating my pancake brekkie and got into it with my wife about how arbitrary judges scoring is ... Why isnt ballet in the olympics. Why not dancing with the stars. Would the mona lisa have won a gold medal if "the arts" were an olympic sport. My wife got kinda peeved and threw a pancake at me ... Albeit ... It was aimed at my plate or else i would have gone ochocinco on her forehead

(what these athletes/performers do is amazing ... Just not down with the judging)

Last edited by a moderator:

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"After the 2012 Olympics , 73 of the current 204 National Olympic Committees have never won an Olympic medal."

guess I shouldn't complain too much about a pile of bronzes

The bronze medals monetary value (if melted down) was $4

/true story

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank You London, Vancouver and Beijing for Fantastic Olympics. Bring it on Sochi and Rio de Janeiro.

olympics.gif

I love these games

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So a question... Every year the NBC Olympics broadcast has a montage at the end of the last broadcast that highlights the best moments. It's always set to Remember the Titans and always stellar.

I recorded the Closing, but never saw this. Anyone see the credits or montage?

Seems like they just ended the closing abruptly and went right into some dumb comedy show.

On a related note, this is a very cool, visually stunning commercial.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
So a question... Every year the NBC Olympics broadcast has a montage at the end of the last broadcast that highlights the best moments. It's always set to Remember the Titans and always stellar.

Seems like they just ended the closing abruptly and went right into some dumb comedy show.

On a related note, this is a very cool, visually stunning commercial.

think I read something about NBC lopping off an hour of the ceremony.

also, this is cute:

cWuYM

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why I like the Cycling races, swimming and the track and field events like javelin.

No judges to screw it up. First one there wins.

I did see some real stinker calls in the Volleyball tourney too. Phantom Net fouls or double hits that didn't happen.

The thing that bothered me the most about these games was the fact that the Russian woman who Phelps took the record away from asked to present the 19th medal to him and was told she could not because a very important sponsor had paid for the privilege or presenting that medal. I heard it for a few days on BBC radio. Really irritated me.

It could have been a pretty great moment when a Soviet Woman literally passed the torch to a young American man with the history between our countries. As it was she was all grace and sportsmanship throughout the whole thing. I'm really surprised it didn't get reported more here. The Brits were a little pissy about it.

The moment of the games for me was Felix Sanchez on the medal stand. Followed closely by Usain Bolt telling the reporter to shut up while an anthem was playing.

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

think I read something about NBC lopping off an hour of the ceremony.

That's correct. NBC expected people to sit through an hour of a sitcom whose time on the air probably won't last 5 episodes in order to see the last 35 minutes of a hastily thrown together wrap up of the Olympics. What a bunch of dumbasses at NBC...how many people lost sleep before a work day to watch a monkey that wasn't even funny? How the fuck can you NOT make a monkey funny, anyway?! Turds.

NBC stands for Not Bro, Cool.