• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT - London Olympics thread

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
for the right price, I too, could be a synchro swimming judge :noidea:

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember that, in 1992, Mexican-American boxer Oscar De La Hoya held up both the U.S. and Mexican flags after winning a gold medal in Barcelona. But that was largely symbolic since De La Hoya was born in the United States. He wasn't an immigrant caught between two countries.

I dont get how he is ok with this but not with what this guy did. if Oscar was BORN in the US and represented the US why is it only symbolic when the other athlete is posing some form of insult to America. I dont get the difference. I have no problem with it at all. he was 4 when he was taken not his decision. but what I want to know is did someone hand him that flag and in the emotion he just carried it as if you grab it no matter what DONT drop it man that would be disrespectful or maybe he could have taken it from the fan given it a quick wave and gave it back however when emotion is kicking in it makes it tough to make logical decisions. also could you imagine if someone wrote about someone that was born in quebec and was raised in BC and did both english and french on twitter and carried both flags then was lambasted for it.

RACISM.... SEPERATE..... ALL CANADA HATES THE FRENCH...

ah flag waving.. better to wave your dick instead to show your point and not offend anyone

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey matty, have you ever seen the ESPN "30 for 30" about the relationship between Vlade Divac and Drazen Petrovic? They were the best of friends until after winning a basketball championship for Yugoslavia, a fan handed Vlade a Croatian flag and Vlade threw it aside.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey matty, have you ever seen the ESPN "30 for 30" about the relationship between Vlade Divac and Drazen Petrovic? They were the best of friends until after winning a basketball championship for Yugoslavia, a fan handed Vlade a Croatian flag and Vlade threw it aside.

no I did not see that one. they play them alot on TSN so Ill look for that. Once Brothers is the title

I think burning a flag or stomping on it or throwing it on the ground is pretty disrespectful to me.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no I did not see that one. they play them alot on TSN so Ill look for that. Once Brothers is the title

I think burning a flag or stomping on it or throwing it on the ground is pretty disrespectful to me.

Yeah, it's called "Once Brothers" - It was very well done and quite a sad story (as Drazen is no longer with us (died in a car accident in the early 90's)

Last edited by a moderator:

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

but Vlade didnt really want to offend croats with that move (tough not to do though) ... thats what made that docu so good ... because both sides had a point

Petro was a staunch croat nationalist and Vlade was more about the basketball first and wanted everyone to be about just being Yugoslavian first ... i dont think he was doing it out of horrible malice ... more llike a "what the fuck are you doing drazen ... why are you politicizing this celebration" ... he wanted everyone to be brothers (meanwhile a brutal civil war was breaking out)

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and imo, i dont like what that runner did there ... he's there representing the USA ... he's there to fly their flag

blindbaby

i want to bang on the drum all day
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My wife is Serbian so I know a lot about the Serbian-Croatian relationship. In general they hate each other, even before the war in the 90's started. They were forced to become a country with each other after WW1 so I can understand some of the hate. If I was Serbian and someone handed my a Croatian flag (or vice versa) I don't think I'd be too happy about it, although I would probably not throw it on the ground.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but Vlade didnt really want to offend croats with that move (tough not to do though) ... thats what made that docu so good ... because both sides had a point

Petro was a staunch croat nationalist and Vlade was more about the basketball first and wanted everyone to be about just being Yugoslavian first ... i dont think he was doing it out of horrible malice ... more llike a "what the fuck are you doing drazen ... why are you politicizing this celebration" ... he wanted everyone to be brothers (meanwhile a brutal civil war was breaking out)

just watched the short segment of it. I agree with you

Last edited by a moderator:

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its almost as bad as

why_so_serious_jack_nicholson_joker_autograph_heath_ledger-s453x634-39510.jpg

ok Im kidding. again without the context of how he got that flag I cant really say if it was a bad thing. he cant drop it thats terrible. if he went to get it himself thats kinda a slap I guess. I just dont get bent out of shape when born in one country and raised in another even if they got that country to train them. its heat of the moment. its like I dont get mad that an american girl that was born in Canada got the gold and flew EVERYTHING USA. Im 100% ok with that.

now Brett Hull now that is different. lol

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its almost as bad as

why_so_serious_jack_nicholson_joker_autograph_heath_ledger-s453x634-39510.jpg

ok Im kidding. again without the context of how he got that flag I cant really say if it was a bad thing. he cant drop it thats terrible. if he went to get it himself thats kinda a slap I guess. I just dont get bent out of shape when born in one country and raised in another even if they got that country to train them. its heat of the moment. its like I dont get mad that an american girl that was born in Canada got the gold and flew EVERYTHING USA. Im 100% ok with that.

now Brett Hull now that is different. lol

i dont really get mad ... im more like "youre dead to me" lol

/what i hate alot these olympics is CTV just fawning all over that US swimmer Missy whatever her name is that won all those golds ... she's not cdn ... she's not ours ... so she spent summers in Pictou ... big whoop ... i dont care about her lol

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes indeed ... i could be a synchro swimming judge :eyebrows:

SYNCHRO1.gif

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BREAKING: Chinese coaches discover a new form of massaging their athletes. Seriously WTF

Az7FFpMCAAAWntx.jpg

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
i dont really get mad ... im more like "youre dead to me" lol

/what i hate alot these olympics is CTV just fawning all over that US swimmer Missy whatever her name is that won all those golds ... she's not cdn ... she's not ours ... so she spent summers in Pictou ... big whoop ... i dont care about her lol

I thought both of her parents were Canadian.
Haven't really been paying attention to that saga though.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WTF???? lol ... thats not legit mattola?

/btw ... whats the name of that pron site? lol

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought both of her parents were Canadian.
Haven't really been paying attention to that saga though.

so she is dual citizen? ok CTV gets a pass, i guess lol

but still shes winning golds for USA so th less of her on my tv screen the better

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the story I posted yesterday said there was an 3 year statute of limitation but this story says "8 year deadline"

:noidea:

The IOC is set to formally strip American cyclist Tyler Hamilton of his gold from the 2004 Athens Games and reassign the medals after his admission of doping, according to an Olympic official familiar with the case.

With the eight-year deadline approaching, the official told The Associated Press the IOC executive board will meet Friday to readjust the standings from the road race time trial and award the gold to retired Russian rider Viatcheslav Ekimov.

The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the decision hasn't been announced yet.

After years of denials, Hamilton told CBS's 60 Minutes last year that he had repeatedly used performance-enhancing drugs. The IOC asked for documents from the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency before reallocating the medals.

The gold will now go to Ekimov, a former teammate of Hamilton and Lance Armstrong.

American Bobby Julich will be moved up from bronze to silver, and Michael Rogers of Australia from fourth to bronze.

The Russian Olympic Committee has repeatedly pressed for Ekimov to be upgraded to gold.

Ekimov already has two Olympic gold medals — the track team pursuit at the 1988 Seoul Games and the road time trial at the 2000 Sydney Olympics.

The Russians failed in a 2006 appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport to have Hamilton's gold given to Ekimov.

Ekimov rode with Armstrong on the U.S. Postal and Discovery Channel teams. He retired from cycling at the end of the 2006 season but remained in the sport as a director of the Discovery and RadioShack teams.

The case has gained urgency because the IOC's eight-year statute of limitations runs out at the end of this month.

USADA said at the time of Hamilton's doping admission that he had turned over his gold medal to the doping agency, but the IOC had not received it and the race result had not been officially overturned.

Before adjusting the results and reallocating the medals, the IOC wanted to be certain there was nothing in the U.S. investigation that implicated other riders or their coaches from the Athens cycling competition.

The IOC could have decided to disqualify Hamilton but not readjust the medals.

Hamilton had already come under investigation by the IOC during the Athens Games, when his initial doping sample indicated he had tested positive for a blood transfusion. The case was dropped after his backup "B" sample was mistakenly frozen and couldn't be properly tested.

Hamilton tested positive a month later at the Spanish Vuelta. After serving a two-year suspension, he returned to cycling but tested positive again for a banned substance in 2009 and was banned for eight years.

Hamilton, who helped Armstrong win the Tour in 1999, 2000 and '01, accused Armstrong in the CBS interview of doping. Armstrong has denied using performance-enhancing drugs.

USADA officials brought charges of doping against Armstrong in June, threatening to strip him of his Tour de France victories from 1999-2005. A federal grand jury investigation of the cyclist ended four months earlier without indictments.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"As we conclude our Olympic broadcast, we recap some highlights. The U.S. just edges out China in total medals. Michael Phelps brings home a number of golds. Usein Bolt is the fastest man in the world. May/Walsh continue to be the Olympic gold medal winners in beach volleyball. A U.S. gymnast continues to be the Olympic all-around champion.

So, for all of us at NBC, goodnight one last time from Beijin.... errrr, London."