• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT - London Olympics thread

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently an American Cyclist was stripped of his Gold Medal from the 2004 Olympics because he admitted to doping. If they have proof could they take Lewis's Gold from 1988 away?

I'd have to think that if they had proof, they would have done so already. Tyler Hamilton (the cyclist) admitted to doping, so they took his away. I have a hard time Carl Lewis would EVER admit to it.

Lol did u read the article ... He admitted to it

Article also says ioc has a 3 year statute of limitations so if they didnt try and change that policy in 2003 when carl lewis admitted to drug use. Why would they now

apachef4

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol did u read the article ... He admitted to it

Article also says ioc has a 3 year statute of limitations so if they didnt try and change that policy in 2003 when carl lewis admitted to drug use. Why would they now

Oh wow, no I didn't see it. Yeah, that's an admission, no doubt. I wonder how they got around that with Hamilton, then, since 2004 would be outside the 3 year statute of limitations as well?

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

apachef4

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
congrats on Soccer Gold US fans.. Wonderful show of Colours for the Flag Bearing after the Win... WELL DONE WOOHOO

11uf0ur.jpg

:D

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok Im sorry. I mean it Congrats.

wlmiq.jpg

wOOO USA USA USA

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol did the norwegian ref get a medal too, mattola

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All Canadians are sore losers! ;)

(PS - Matty are those your work? If so, nice work. :thumb:)

Last edited by a moderator:

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol... seriously they are the best they got gold congrats. I am quite proud of the Canadian women in bronze. its a great accomplishment.

The truth is the gold medal...is mostly made of silver! The joke is on us.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The truth is the gold medal...is mostly made of silver! The joke is on us.

fucking plated gold.... :D we found out the bronze is actually plated bronze with solid gold underneath. thats why we want so many of them....

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, if the Japanese had the athleticism of the US players, they would just be dominant. Their control, passing and creativity is outstanding.

The US isn't hated when they win. It's when they're assholes. Wambach counting seconds to the ref. Hope Solo giving absolutely no credit to Sinclair. Arrogant t-shirts - you'd think they might have some humility considering the calls in their favour along the way. I know that a lot of the most succesful people of all time are arrogant like that, but at least learn to hide it a bit better from the public.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The US isn't hated when they win. It's when they're assholes. Wambach counting seconds to the ref. Hope Solo giving absolutely no credit to Sinclair. Arrogant t-shirts - you'd think they might have some humility considering the calls in their favour along the way. I know that a lot of the most succesful people of all time are arrogant like that, but at least learn to hide it a bit better from the public.

I don't like the t-shirts, but I think the U.S. is typically a pretty class squad. I think the Canada-US game was pretty atypical of what I've seen from them in recent years.

apachef4

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, if the Japanese had the athleticism of the US players, they would just be dominant. Their control, passing and creativity is outstanding.

I'm not a big fan of the t-shirts. Greatness has been found? Did somebody lose it? When did they lose it?

The Wambach thing? Meh, it's gamesmanship, no doubt. But if you don't think that Canada (and every other team) doesn't bark at the ref at some point then you're kidding yourself. All she was doing was complaining to the ref like every other athlete does. I don't like to see it, but it happens. The worst part about it is that it worked...that ref...:L

As for the calls going in the US's favor? Yeah, they don't give two shits about that, nor should they. Sometimes things go your way, sometimes they don't. Athletes (and fans) have an amazing ability to remember the things that go against them and completely forget anything that goes their way. The US had some major things go their way, that's for sure.

Hope Solo? She's just an ass.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I hate to agree, as a very objective voice, but this current US squad for the better part of the past three years has been far tougher to root for than previous squads. I particularily don't like her or Solo. Wambach is essentially what Sidney Crosby was his first couple of years in the league.

I look at it from a parent's perspective. If I had a daughter (and I'm assuming I don't as father's days around here are relatively uneventful), then I wouldn't mind if she looked up to these stars as role models - nothing wrong with a strong positive female influence. But then she gets old enough to stop drinking the kool aid they feed you in the US regarding women's soccer and you realize, that while they are great players, they are not the most sportswomanlike. Sure, there's a fine line here, but it just seems to me like some on the US have crossed it. The US Women's team plays a men's style game - and it usually gets them the results.

At least when you have competent announcers, this bias isn't quite so painfully obvious - but when you have former players using the term "us" to describe the US team, then it is. I wouldn't want my daughter to have to come to this realization - that her sports idols are female Joey Bartons.