• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Justin Williams

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was just strolling down memory lane and decided to check him out - 4 points in 20 games. Ouch.

Justin Williams: ‘It’s been certainly a tough start to the year for me’

I was in favor of letting him go in 2015 because I thought he was about to hit the skids, and he proved me wrong with a 52 point season including 20 goals.

I'm not sure what it is with me but I usually see these things ahead of time, a combination of their play and little things like maybe effort, avoiding a hit whereas a player would usually take the hit to clear a puck, tenure, tendencies, things like that that don't show up on a score sheet. I assumed he was going to regress last season but was happy to see he didn't, he will always be one of my favorite LA Kings, but was happy to see Washington wiped out - I still can't stand that franchise.

Looks like I was a year too early.

=)~~

King Mensa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Justin Williams update:

upload_2017-1-6_12-44-37.png

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't look like he is done yet, the guy is a winner.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Old man turning it up!

Always liked him in LA, glad to see he turned his season around. I know LA could use those 15 goals in 23 games for sure.

Vegas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,631.83
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's at his best in the playoffs. Wish the kings had been able to keep him.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess its fitting he gets another in the route against the Kings. LA still only has 2 players in double digit goals, while the Caps have 8. We all know that doesn't mean championship but you do need to reach the playoffs to have a shot.....Kings have control of their destiny and by the moves Deano has made of late I would assume something is cooking up. I have a gut feeling its Martinez, which sucks as we saw this team in the playoffs last season without him. I really don't want him to go.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I won't say zero chance, but there's zero chance they trade Martinez. I would trade Muzzin before Martinez, and the analytics guys LOVE Muzzin. I mean Love-Love Muzzin. They were saying the reason he made Team Canada is because he's actually better than Doughty, which is comical. But if his trade value is somehow that high, and you could get a King's ransom in return, he would be the guy (I mean if it's a trade you just can't refuse, like getting a bonafide stud forward to be with LA for years).

That being said, I really like the Kings D this year, and feel far more confident in this squad than last year's. This team struggled mightily without Martinez (As Kings4OT alluded to). This team seams better equipped to deal with that this year, thought losing him would still be devastating.

Scoring is still an issue, but that Caps game was a fluke. I really thought LA looked good, they just made some monster defensive gaffs (Carter on that first goal. That 3rd goal was neutral zone turnover, but Gravel was also bent over trying to get to the bench. 4th goal just ramped off the defender's stick).

Kings did just rattle off 5 in a row before that game, so we'll see how the trip through Florida goes.

I personally do not see any major trades for LA. Something smaller maybe, but definitely not involving the big 3 LA defensemen. That would be a huge mistake to deplete that backend.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess its fitting he gets another in the route against the Kings.

Williams schooled Zatkoff to. He gets the puck and Crapkoff was already on his knees, he dropped way too soon. One quick stick handle and Williams put it right past him.

My oldest son loves hockey, and enjoys the Caps but we were gone so we didn't see the game but I saw the highlights late last night and was just saying at least Williams didn't score...and then saw the 5th highlight.

Color me shocked.

=)~~

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I won't say zero chance, but there's zero chance they trade Martinez. I would trade Muzzin before Martinez, and the analytics guys LOVE Muzzin. I mean Love-Love Muzzin. They were saying the reason he made Team Canada is because he's actually better than Doughty, which is comical. But if his trade value is somehow that high, and you could get a King's ransom in return, he would be the guy (I mean if it's a trade you just can't refuse, like getting a bonafide stud forward to be with LA for years).

That being said, I really like the Kings D this year, and feel far more confident in this squad than last year's. This team struggled mightily without Martinez (As Kings4OT alluded to). This team seams better equipped to deal with that this year, thought losing him would still be devastating.

Scoring is still an issue, but that Caps game was a fluke. I really thought LA looked good, they just made some monster defensive gaffs (Carter on that first goal. That 3rd goal was neutral zone turnover, but Gravel was also bent over trying to get to the bench. 4th goal just ramped off the defender's stick).

Kings did just rattle off 5 in a row before that game, so we'll see how the trip through Florida goes.

I personally do not see any major trades for LA. Something smaller maybe, but definitely not involving the big 3 LA defensemen. That would be a huge mistake to deplete that backend.

That’s pretty laughable about Muzzin (Doughty). This whole advanced statistics thing has gotten out of control, it is cited as the be all end all far too often in regards to players.

While I think there is a place in the game for them, I am of the school of thought that it’s one piece of the puzzle. A tool in a toolbox if you will, another example is the Kings are possession demons (see what I did there) but that doesn’t mean squat when all you do is pin the puck against the boards, cycle the hell out of it yet don’t get even a shot on goal. That doesn’t even equate into a scoring chance, which is why the Kings are the best puck possession team in the league yet always in the bottom third in scoring. Conundrum solved for all those TSN “experts”, you’re welcome.

I still believe that you have to look at a player/team’s performances in addition to the statistics to really get an idea of what you have. Muzzin as we know, is an analytics darling, but watching the guy we have seen him enough to know what he is – a number 3 or 4 defender - and for whatever reason seems to have regressed this season. I haven’t seen him play this bad since his first 2 years in the league.

From an offensive standpoint he is on pace for 25 points (10G/15A) compared to his 40 points (8G/32A) last season. The funny thing is he has a better shooting percentage this season (5.8%) compared to last season (3.9%) but is on pace for 22 less SOGs (181 vs 203 in 2015-16). He is not shooting enough and he is a team worst -11 for all defenders. You guys know my stance on +/-, it’s not a be all end all stat either but knowing a player over the years tells you an idea of how he is. Granted he has been paired with Martinez most of the season and he is a -8, so it needs a closer look to see who is effecting who in a negative way. My money is on Muzzin. Bottom line: he is having a bad season and invisible, and when he has been visible it’s usually not good. He isn’t J-Blow status but he isn’t godly as some believe.

I’ve always been a huge proponent of Martinez dating back to his rookie season, he has consistently improved or maintained his level of play from Day 1. In my opinion he is the second best defender on this team behind Doughty and not only has to live under his shadow but also Muffin’s. He is smarter, makes better decisions with the puck, better skater which allows him to move the puck out as well as join the attack, and while not as big as Muzzin plays bigger, has a better and more accurate shot, and simply plays a smart solid game. His absence last playoffs was glaring; against a team like SJ who can skate they needed him. Muzzin played and wasn't a difference maker.

Moving Martinez would be a horrible decision (unless something very decent is coming back) but my play would be to sell high on Muzzin - if the media is so enamored with his analytics, play their game. The hype alone could bring in some assets the Kings could use now and in the future.

Also agree, I don’t see any huge deals going on for LA either. I do think they need to make a move for a depth defender now with Greene out and Gilbert gone, unless they plan on using LaDue in that role (he was just recalled no?). Thye need some scoring help and Muzzin could definitely be a big piece in bringing that back to LA.

And while we are at it, please lose McNabb. Even in the quick highlight I saw of the game he once again was burned for a goal. Dumbo needs to admit acquiring him was one of his mistakes and cut ties with him. So far Deslaurier isn’t showing much at the NHL level and Fasching is playing in the AHL but the McNabb experiment should be deemed over in LA.

Keep him for this season and then try and trade him in the offseason or hope Vegas takes him. Gravel and Forbert look like they will be NHL regulars next season.

LoCal Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moving Martinez would be a horrible decision (unless something very decent is coming back) but my play would be to sell high on Muzzin - if the media is so enamored with his analytics, play their game. The hype alone could bring in some assets the Kings could use now and in the future.

Also think that they shouldn't trade Martinez. Doughty has been our only R-shot D-man this season (Greene and Gilbert barely count). Martinez has done a decent job playing that side. Hopefully, LaDue will at least show he can develop into that R-shot d-man role as well. After those guys, I don't think the Kings have another R-shot d-man in Ontario who has realistic shot at the NHL. The only other R-shot d-man I see in the system with a glimmer of NHL hope is Cernak (who is still in Junior).

Muzzin should have been traded as soon as he was named to Team Canada last summer. His stock would never have been higher. Its been dropping ever since. They also have Moverare and Clague in Juniors, both L-shot d-men. Though they might be better suited as trade bait in a year from now.

If no trades, I think the Kings protect 4 d-men in Expansion. That way, they go into next year with a solid defense intact. Doughty, Martinez, Muzz, and Forbort. Plus Gravel and LaDue are exempt. McNabb will be the one exposed. If they go that route, worst case would be to lose one of either Lewis, McNabb, or Budaj. Best case, lose Brown or Gaborik (contracts).