• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Jonathan Martin checked into looney bin

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
If you don't know what would have happened to you without the experience, you can't say it made you better or worse. All it did was make you "you."

This seems intentionally contrarian even for you 'mac.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, you could apply that logic to any discussion on any topic ever. Nothing is certain. Your memory of what happened 5 minutes ago is not 100% guaranteed to be accurate.

One thing's for certain; your life is more than 1% over.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, it isn't certain.

Medical research into anti-aging could progress quickly enough that I live to be thousands of years old.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Richie Incognito really isn't in a position to be big timing other players, cause he was like a sieve on that Rams OL.

I also don't like hearing that he treats team personnel poorly to the point management has felt the need to step in.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally think everyone needs some exposure to assholes/bullies as a kid. I view it like an immune system. If you live in a sanitized bubble your entire life, your first exposure to any type of virus is going to wreck you, while people who get exposed to it fight it much better.

There is a kid in my family who was a only child, and she grew up in a neighborhood that didn't really have any kids to play with. She only knew adults who treated her nicely, and had no idea of how shitty kids can be until she ran into them school. She didn't handle it well at all.

I grew up with a bunch of shit talkers and we constantly fought, so I developed really thick skin at a young age. I've actually pissed off some petty people over the fact that they couldn't get under my skin.

We are never going to eradicate bullies. It's more effective to teach people the truth and prepare them for it.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, it isn't certain.

Medical research into anti-aging could progress quickly enough that I live to be thousands of years old.

OK. You win.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally think everyone needs some exposure to assholes/bullies as a kid. I view it like an immune system. If you live in a sanitized bubble your entire life, your first exposure to any type of virus is going to wreck you, while people who get exposed to it fight it much better.

There is a kid in my family who was a only child, and she grew up in a neighborhood that didn't really have any kids to play with. She only knew adults who treated her nicely, and had no idea of how shitty kids can be until she ran into them school. She didn't handle it well at all.

I grew up with a bunch of shit talkers and we constantly fought, so I developed really thick skin at a young age. I've actually pissed off some petty people over the fact that they couldn't get under my skin.

We are never going to eradicate bullies. It's more effective to teach people the truth and prepare them for it.

This. I had a period of homeschooling when transitioning between schools, and the home schooled kids that had "lived in a bubble" could not handle emotional strife, even as adults.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This. I had a period of homeschooling when transitioning between schools, and the home schooled kids that had "lived in a bubble" could not handle emotional strife, even as adults.

Try telling that to these religious nuts.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

I've known a lot of home schooled kids in my life, and not a single one of them "lived in a bubble." That's usually what people think when they see home schooler for some reason, but it almost never happens. Especially in the age of the internet where kids & parents can communicate with each other 24/7.

Meanwhile, home schoolers test in the 84th to 89th percentile in every single subject, and they do it with zero state money. So if you see a home schooling parent, tell him or her thanks for saving the state around $16,000 per kid (in CA at least).

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I've known a lot of home schooled kids in my life, and not a single one of them "lived in a bubble." That's usually what people think when they see home schooler for some reason, but it almost never happens. Especially in the age of the internet where kids & parents can communicate with each other 24/7.

Meanwhile, home schoolers test in the 84th to 89th percentile in every single subject, and they do it with zero state money. So if you see a home schooling parent, tell him or her thanks for saving the state around $16,000 per kid (in CA at least).

My brother home schools his kids and by accounts they seem just as normal as kids that go to public education. So I agree with this account.

It really comes down to how you raise them as parents. Sure if you home school them and only allow them limited interaction with the outside world than of course they are going to struggle transitioning into the real world. But my nieces are involved in sports and having plenty of interaction with kids their own age so they are just fine.

I will say in terms of the education aspect of it they noticeably ahead of their grade level and if they were in public schools they would be towards the top of their class in almost all subjects. Of course understandably results will vary in that case depending on the child and how much time and how well the parents teach the subjects themselves.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I think the idea that home-schooled kids live in a "bubble" is because they're the ones who really stick out. One meets a normally adjusted home schooler, and they learn of the home schooling, and they think nothing of it. They meet a weirdo home schooler who has no idea how behave around people (which rarely ever happens), and they take notice.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK. You win.

The original statement wasn't serious (although I honestly will invest in research on the subject a little down the road), but I'm kind of making the point now that nothing is truly absolute.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I think the idea that home-schooled kids live in a "bubble" is because they're the ones who really stick out. One meets a normally adjusted home schooler, and they learn of the home schooling, and they think nothing of it. They meet a weirdo home schooler who has no idea how behave around people (which rarely ever happens), and they take notice.

To add to this, there are kids who go to public school and are not well adjusted socially. Private schools have 'em too.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would homeschool my kids (although I'm not sure I would have them), but I'd be sure they have social involvement as well .

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've known tons of home school kids in my years and I would say it would be about half weirdos and half normal. It honestly depends on the family and that people who the kid is around. Although it is impossible for ANYONE to make a blanket statement about all homeschool kids because there aren't really any numbers out there that I would trust on the subject. People judge from the people who they know and guess that it is the same everywhere else.

I can assure you that a homeschool kid in Kansas (nearly Amish) would be different then home school kids from California.

That being said; these is no way in hell that I would ever want to homeschool my kids.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Home schooling is good as long as they have contact with kids their own age and have friends

Playing sports or joining clubs. Dancing karate gymnastics joining a play boy scout ect..... Will help kids social skills

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
That being said; these is no way in hell that I would ever want to homeschool my kids.

Not everyone has the energy / ability or inclination to do so. It's also something not everyone can afford to do because it means one parent is home with the kids all day. And despite the fact that the same service (usually a better one) is being provided that schools do, they don't get reimbursed by the state like schools do. Same with private schools even though every private school for kids I've ever seen runs on far less money than public schools do (always with much better student-teacher ratios).