• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Jonathan Martin checked into looney bin

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
You don't think trying to remove the "challenges" of life is why all of our country is turning into whining pussies?

Let kids be kids.

In general I agree with this sentiment and I hate the whole "Everybody is a winner" mentality that schools shove down kids throats and the overall sterile feel schools are trying to take. Instead of preventing kids from failing schools (and parents) should be teaching kids how to cope and learn to grow from failure.

When it comes to bullying though I will say I do sympathize with kids a little more these days because social media has taken bullying to a whole new level. Before you took your licks at school from a few of the jerks and you went home and that was it. With social media you take your licks at school and now you can be harassed at home by even more people through facebook, twitter, etc.

So I will say it's harder for a kid to deal with it today but again part of the issue goes back schools again. You're not going to get rid of bullying so everyone is attacking it the wrong way by trying to stop it. But you can help those that are getting bullied to better cope with it and most importantly is surround them with friends that can be there for them. I think that's a far better approach than what they have now.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
As far as Martin goes having played football as a kid and through high school IF he's getting bullied it's most likely because his teammates perceive him as not being tough and/or lazy.

Not everyone likes each other in a locker room but if you grind it out like everyone else usually there is a mutual respect for other guys even if you're not buds.

The guys that always get picked on were the guys that were always "injured" or "lazy" and amounted to being viewed as tackling dummies for the rest of the team.

So if Martin is getting picked on especially if it's by someone in his own position group the offensive line position group it's almost likely because they think he's soft.

Like Sick said Martin likely has other issues that are unrelated to his teammates.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In general I agree with this sentiment and I hate the whole "Everybody is a winner" mentality that schools shove down kids throats and the overall sterile feel schools are trying to take. Instead of preventing kids from failing schools (and parents) should be teaching kids how to cope and learn to grow from failure.

When it comes to bullying though I will say I do sympathize with kids a little more these days because social media has taken bullying to a whole new level. Before you took your licks at school from a few of the jerks and you went home and that was it. With social media you take your licks at school and now you can be harassed at home by even more people through facebook, twitter, etc.

So I will say it's harder for a kid to deal with it today but again part of the issue goes back schools again. You're not going to get rid of bullying so everyone is attacking it the wrong way by trying to stop it. But you can help those that are getting bullied to better cope with it and most importantly is surround them with friends that can be there for them. I think that's a far better approach than what they have now.

Just don't let your kids use social networking and teach them not to be complete pussies, and I guarantee you that even if they get bullied they will be better for it.

And the school should only think about getting involved if it is very extreme.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

I wasn't a kid when myspace / facebook became popular, so this doesn't apply to me. But this is just another reason I think those websites are stupid 95% of the time (FB is great if you're a business owner, etc). I've never had one of those things, and I never will.

However, the crap talking on facebook is now a new phenomenon. It's called disparaging someone behind his back. Say Billy has a FB; he doesn't have to let jerks be his "friends" there, so they can't post on his FB. They can, however, post on other people's facebooks, which is called talking crap about someone behind his back. That's been going on since humans were humans. Don't cry like a bitch about it. People have always been jerks, and they're always going to be jerks. Deal with it.

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
As far as Martin goes having played football as a kid and through high school IF he's getting bullied it's most likely because his teammates perceive him as not being tough and/or lazy.

Not everyone likes each other in a locker room but if you grind it out like everyone else usually there is a mutual respect for other guys even if you're not buds.

The guys that always get picked on were the guys that were always "injured" or "lazy" and amounted to being viewed as tackling dummies for the rest of the team.

So if Martin is getting picked on especially if it's by someone in his own position group the offensive line position group it's almost likely because they think he's soft.

Like Sick said Martin likely has other issues that are unrelated to his teammates.

You bring up some good points. Thanks for the insight. Much more productive than some people here ranting about how we stop being pussies and man up.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Exactly!

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if you are what you eat, wouldn't being a pussy be a good thing?

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any evidence that America is actually becoming "pussified?" Are kids these days actually worse because they are protected from bullies and don't walk 20 miles in the snow each way when walking to school?

Or are you guys just turning into your grandpas? If so, it's ok, that shit's inevitable so might as well embrace it.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I got "bullied" by what they consider it now and it made me better. Just let the shit go unless it's absurd.

Seriously, how can anyone ever say that? In the alternate universe - where child-you was not bullied - what did you grow up like? Did you become a crack head?

Anytime anyone says "XXXX happened to me and it made me better" they're talking out of their ass.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Anytime anyone says "XXXX happened to me and it made me better" they're talking out of their ass.

Wait - what???

Any time? People aren't allowed to say an experience made them better? Or worse for that matter? (The subject of bullying notwithstanding)

-I finally went to rehab, and it made me better.
-My parents were strict with me in terms of house rules, curfews, manners, getting homework finished, etc; and it made me better.
-My teacher assigned a lot of reading in my class; I didn't like it at the time, but it made me better.
-When I was a kid my brother was in a gang, and I eventually started running with the same crowd; and it made me worse.

Statements like that come straight from the ass, in your opinion, unless the person has a time machine to do a double-blind study as to what happened in both scenarios?

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Wait - what???

Any time? People aren't allowed to say an experience made them better? Or worse for that matter? (The subject of bullying notwithstanding)

-My parents were strict with me in terms of house rules, curfews, manners, getting homework finished, etc; and it made me better.
-My teacher assigned a lot of reading in my class; I didn't like it at the time, but it made me better.
-When I was a kid my brother was in a gang, and I eventually started running with the same crowd; and it made me worse.

Statements like that come straight from the ass, in your opinion, unless the person has a time machine to do a double-blind study as to what happened in both scenarios?

The difference is that you told us exactly which experiences made you better. While no one is required to go in to such detail, a little bit of insight is nice in order to understand where a poster is coming from. JDM, on the other hand, talks out of his ass most of the time. There is plenty of evidence of this on the NFL general boards.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Wait - what???

Affirmative.

Maybe if you didn't go to rehab you would have had an epiphany and caused change in yourself and the self-discovery would have led to someone that positively impacted the world moreso than the rehab you?

Maybe if your parents had a looser leash you would have developed better social skills, had a sense of personal responsibility and independence and weren't reliant on others to make sure you took care of your responsibilities?

Maybe you would have ended up in a different gang, or your brother's gang would have killed you for not running with them?

If you don't know what would have happened to you without the experience, you can't say it made you better or worse. All it did was make you "you."

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your logic is terrible.

Yes, some experiences objectively improve you as a person. If I strictly remove that experience from my life, I wouldn't have learned from it. It's really not that complicated.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Affirmative.

Maybe if you didn't go to rehab you would have had an epiphany and caused change in yourself and the self-discovery would have led to someone that positively impacted the world moreso than the rehab you?

Maybe if your parents had a looser leash you would have developed better social skills, had a sense of personal responsibility and independence and weren't reliant on others to make sure you took care of your responsibilities?

Maybe you would have ended up in a different gang, or your brother's gang would have killed you for not running with them?

If you don't know what would have happened to you without the experience, you can't say it made you better or worse. All it did was make you "you."

A fair point. Hard to argue with that.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Your logic is terrible.

Yes, some experiences objectively improve you as a person. If I strictly remove that experience from my life, I wouldn't have learned from it. It's really not that complicated.

My logic is terrible?

How do you know what type of person you would have become had you not gone through this experience?

In this alternate dimension are you miserable?

Or are you assuming that your life is better than the lives of those who weren't bullied?

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My life will be better than everyone here's, and it's less than 1% done :thumb:

Are you not capable of projecting consequences of actions today? Can you not say, that with reasonably certainty, if a then d, if b then e, if c then f? This is a basic skill required for any type of planning, and can just as intelligently be applied in retrospect.

Nothing, literally nothing, is an absolute to our knowledge. It is all on a range of certainty, and if something has a relatively high probability, in conversation you treat that as fact. Even the basic laws of physics is only what we understand of them so far, and as more information is acquired they have the potential to change. But we treat them as absolutes because it is easier than adding qualifiers to every sentence.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
My life will be better than everyone here's, and it's less than 1% done :thumb:

Are you not capable of projecting consequences of actions today? Can you not say, that with reasonably certainty, if a then d, if b then e, if c then f? This is a basic skill required for any type of planning, and can just as intelligently be applied in retrospect.

Nothing, literally nothing, is an absolute to our knowledge. It is all on a range of certainty, and if something has a relatively high probability, in conversation you treat that as fact. Even the basic laws of physics is only what we understand of them so far, and as more information is acquired they have the potential to change. But we treat them as absolutes because it is easier than adding qualifiers to every sentence.

You can say your life is likely better for what happened, but you obviously can't say it definitively. Since no one, even you, knows the path your life would have taken without the bullying experience you cannot say it made you a better person.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, you could apply that logic to any discussion on any topic ever. Nothing is certain. Your memory of what happened 5 minutes ago is not 100% guaranteed to be accurate.