• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT - I'm bored, Part Pangos & Bell!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When did the Jays accuse them of sign-stealing?

That would be funny considering the Man in White...

RedSox did that last series ... bautista said "circumstances" ... i guess theyre calling next already ??? lol

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe the Jays will play the Cleveland Indigenous People tonight at Rogers Centre?

TORONTO — A court hearing is underway as an Ontario activist attempts to bar the Cleveland Indians from using their team name and logo in the province.

The legal challenge by architect and indigenous activist Douglas Cardinal is being heard just hours before the U.S. baseball team takes on the Blue Jays in Toronto in Game 3 of the American League Championship Series.

Monique Jileson, a lawyer for Cardinal, is telling an Ontario judge that the combination of the Cleveland team's name and logo — which she calls a caricature of an indigenous person — is racial discrimination.

She says the use of a racially discriminatory caricature and name is a violation of the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Human Rights Act.

She is asking the court to issue an injunction which would result in the Cleveland team wearing jerseys which do not have the "offending" team logo and name.

The legal application also asks the court to bar the usage of the name and logo by Major League Baseball and Rogers Communications, which broadcasts the game.

Jileson notes that the action is not seeking to cancel the game or its broadcast, nor is it seeking to stop fans from using the team name or logo.

The Cleveland team's logo, called Chief Wahoo, is a cartoon man with red skin and a feather in his headband.

Cleveland is leading Toronto in the playoff series 2-0.

Court hearing begins on potential Ontario ban of Cleveland Indians name and logo
Cleveland plays in T.O. minimum of, what, 4 times a year? If this was such an issue for him why didn't he speak up in July? Or last year? Or any other time?

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cleveland plays in T.O. minimum of, what, 4 times a year? If this was such an issue for him why didn't he speak up in July? Or last year? Or any other time?

lotta new jays "fans" coming out of the woodwork ... just look at the tv ratings spike

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ironically, the original name for the Cleveland Indians team is the Cleveland Bluebirds.

From wikipedia:

In 1900 the American League was still considered a minor league. In 1901 team was renamed the Cleveland Bluebirds when the American League broke with the National Agreement and declared itself a competing Major League. The Cleveland franchise was among its eight charter members.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ironically, the original name for the Cleveland Indians team is the Cleveland Bluebirds.

From wikipedia:

In 1900 the American League was still considered a minor league. In 1901 team was renamed the Cleveland Bluebirds when the American League broke with the National Agreement and declared itself a competing Major League. The Cleveland franchise was among its eight charter members.
Well, that woulda been awkward!

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i had one such non-baseball-fan-turned-blue-jay supporter recently ask me if im "watching the baseball" and then say "how about that Indians logo, how do they get away with that in this day and age"

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Rogers Communications thinking of Canadian baseball fans or advertising dollars?

Rogers Communications released a statement in advance of the hearing, saying "it would be virtually impossible" to broadcast the game and not have people see the team's name or logo.

"We understand that the Cleveland name and logo is a concern for a number of Canadians," the statement reads. "The playoff series between the Jays and Cleveland is also significantly important to millions of passionate baseball fans across Canada. Punishing these fans by blocking the broadcast of the games doesn't seem like the right solution."

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think casual fandom is okay, so long as you don't over-extend it to trying to talk about BABIP and UZR.

If somebody tries to sound all smart with fancy stats ask them what is the player's batting average on balls not in play and see what kind of an answer you get.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Rogers Communications thinking of Canadian baseball fans or advertising dollars?

Rogers Communications released a statement in advance of the hearing, saying "it would be virtually impossible" to broadcast the game and not have people see the team's name or logo.

"We understand that the Cleveland name and logo is a concern for a number of Canadians," the statement reads. "The playoff series between the Jays and Cleveland is also significantly important to millions of passionate baseball fans across Canada. Punishing these fans by blocking the broadcast of the games doesn't seem like the right solution."
Let's put it this way: I will personally throw acorns at this prick if somehow this game were to not be shown.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No fucking wonder championships avoid Toronto the way Trump's daughters avoid physical contact with him - a little bit of success and we have stars bitching publicly about refereeing and bleeding hearts filing lawsuits.

If the Leafs ever sniff the Cup finals we'll probably have some asshole ask Matthews to prove he wasn't really born in Mexico.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if the "Kershaw can't pitch in the playoffs" narrative is going to end this year. He's been good, and last night was at his absolute best.

Even his "bad" start was six really good innings, trotted back out for a 7th despite being on short rest (which screamed mistake, especially since his pitch count wasn't exactly super low), and then someone else coming on to give up the runs.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cleveland Baseball Browns has a nice ring to it.

/Like the New York Football Giants.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jays lineup for tonight's game:

JB
JD
EE
Tulo
Martin
Saunders
Pillar
Zeke
Goins

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about you BBB, but I've been offended watching the Vancouver Canucks play on several occasions.

:D
I was more offended I watched damn near that entire game last night and didn't see them throw it to Murph once for a Safeway product promo (I may have missed it)

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was more offended I watched damn near that entire game last night and didn't see them throw it to Murph once for a Safeway product promo (I may have missed it)

I missed it as well, it was probably Kraft peanut butter.

Status
Not open for further replies.