• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT - I'm bored, Part Pangos & Bell!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just because a lot of baseball fans are sexist doesn't mean the manager should be too.

He owes an apology at the very least, and the "well my wife and daughters thought it was funny" line reads like a racist saying "I can't be racist, I have black friends!".

Does MLB have the power to fine or suspend Gibbons for comments detrimental to the game of baseball?

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What would be an appropriate protest by fans on Friday? Maybe the men should wear dresses? Anyone got any ideas?

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah - I've never been a big fan of Gibby, but hey, he did manage the Jays to the post-season last year.
He did.

He also over-managed the fuck out of them and kept sending David Price to warm up in the bullpen and then not use him, or did use him in dumb situations. Jays went far in spite of Gibbons, not because of him.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wanted Terry Francona when he was available, alas it was not meant to be.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see an issue here. Baseball is full of primadonna characters, so what's the big deal? :D

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damien Cox is pretty fired up about Gibby's 'dress' comments.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just because a lot of baseball fans are sexist doesn't mean the manager should be too.

He owes an apology at the very least, and the "well my wife and daughters thought it was funny" line reads like a racist saying "I can't be racist, I have black friends!".

The thing is, this isn't a funny comment because it was never, ever funny to begin with. It's a comeback used by 10 year olds in The Sandlot. It belongs to 10 year olds with crippling masculinity issues. It's uncreative and unoriginal as a joke at the very least, and at the worst you show young girls that you think they're less.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing is, this isn't a funny comment because it was never, ever funny to begin with. It's a comeback used by 10 year olds in The Sandlot. It belongs to 10 year olds with crippling masculinity issues. It's uncreative and unoriginal as a joke at the very least, and at the worst you show young girls that you think they're less.
Wow, girls really can't take jokes.

Kidding, its something I grew up saying - along with gay. I mean no harm and I still slip up now and then but I try not to use those terms in regards to sports insults any more.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
pix, if it makes you feel any better, Gibbons is on a very short lease this season, if the Jays are under .500 on May 1st, I wouldn't be surprised to see him canned.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, girls really can't take jokes.

Kidding, its something I grew up saying - along with gay. I mean no harm and I still slip up now and then but I try not to use those terms in regards to sports insults any more.

And when you're growing up it's just the way it is. I mean, I grew up with boys. We were the ones battling it out for backyard glory all summer. And they said the stupidest shit because they're just young and stupid (thinking back to the stuff we did...crikey it's a miracle none of us got hurt routinely), and ultimately they just want to use a remark that they know will strike right at the insecurity of the other young stupid boy they're using it against. So, you insult masculinity. I get it, but I also kicked the asses of multiple of those boys I grew up with. I always took the comment a bit more personally because, especially growing up, I felt like I could beat just about any boy in a feat of athleticism. I don't get too up in arms about it now, because it's just a sad attempt at humor and shows insecurity, but I do think about young me and she'd be irate.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And when you're growing up it's just the way it is. I mean, I grew up with boys. We were the ones battling it out for backyard glory all summer. And they said the stupidest shit because they're just young and stupid (thinking back to the stuff we did...crikey it's a miracle none of us got hurt routinely), and ultimately they just want to use a remark that they know will strike right at the insecurity of the other young stupid boy they're using it against. So, you insult masculinity. I get it, but I also kicked the asses of multiple of those boys I grew up with. I always took the comment a bit more personally because, especially growing up, I felt like I could beat just about any boy in a feat of athleticism. I don't get too up in arms about it now, because it's just a sad attempt at humor and shows insecurity, but I do think about young me and she'd be irate.
The boys probably just wanted to kiss you, though. We're mean to girls we wanna smooch.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The boys probably just wanted to kiss you, though. We're mean to girls we wanna smooch.

Well...yeah, that also was a thing. The best part is remembering how young kids handle crushes and their friends crushes. It was like a grand exchange of information. "Okay, you tell me about Suzy, and I'll tell you who Ben likes."

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well...yeah, that also was a thing. The best part is remembering how young kids handle crushes and their friends crushes. It was like a grand exchange of information. "Okay, you tell me about Suzy, and I'll tell you who Ben likes."
And then going and telling those people who go ewwww and spit and ruining your friends' lives.

Man, we should really be giving kids reality shows. Shit would be dramatic AF!

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And then going and telling those people who go ewwww and spit and ruining your friends' lives.

Man, we should really be giving kids reality shows. Shit would be dramatic AF!

I think it's more boring now that it's just kids on iPads playing games forever. Also, this show would make me think of Wonder Years. I may have grown up in a very different era, but that was still pretty close to my childhood in the earlier years of that show. High school? Yeah, a lot more tame.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's more boring now that it's just kids on iPads playing games forever. Also, this show would make me think of Wonder Years. I may have grown up in a very different era, but that was still pretty close to my childhood in the earlier years of that show. High school? Yeah, a lot more tame.
Yep. Wonder Years kinda made it seem like childhood was the same for everyone.

Today, my kid cousins and friends' kids just sit and swipe. They're really getting the hang of Tinder!

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't love the call, but it's called correctly as the rule is written. He turns away from the bag with both hands reaching to the fielder. I get people not liking the rule, and the Jays for being mad, but live and learn. That's the rule, get used to it. Ultimately I think it's a good thing. I'm biased for assorted reasons (still hate you Cubs), but when you think about the game, take out slides were stupid to begin with. It's not a thing anywhere else, so why is it suddenly okay to go out of your way to take out a fielder simply because there's a double play? Your job as a runner is to get to the base safely, stay in the base path, and if the fielder comes into your path you still have to avoid them. So I guess overall I like the new concept, and hopefully players catch on and adjust accordingly. Also, Gibbons...I can rock a dress and hit bombs, so stop with that.

Yeah, the rule was called exactly as written, which is how all rules should be called all the time. You'll get ticky-tack calls like that, sure, as a result, but the specificity of the rule is important in making it easy to call when it could be a dangerous situation, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.