• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT - I'm bored, Part Pangos & Bell!

Status
Not open for further replies.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough on your comments being directed at the media, not me. I misread that. But I don't agree that is what this about overall.

That encapsulates a lot of guys thoughts, and it's bullshit. Think baseball players would make that many "American dollars" without the excitement of Latin born players? Would the league be as popular? His use of "we" is concerning. Get over yourself, Bud.

Well, as to whether the Major Leagues would still be exciting without Latino players - yes, they would be. When I was a kid the Majors was mostly black and white players and it was still exciting. Today it is largely Latino and it's still exciting. I don't think the racial composition of the teams is important. But I don't think that's really the issue as I think this is an individual personality issue, not a cultural one. The only thing racial in baseball that I can see is the walk-up music selection by the players.

That said, all places/businesses/countries/etc. have a culture to them that demands some level of conformity. I would prefer dressing casually at work (jeans,hoodie). But my workplace demands at least some level of dressiness, so I conform to that standard regardless of my upbringing, personal preference, culture, etc.

I think Dash is right that this has to do with individuals and their reputation. I don't think Pujols would have taken the same heat Bautista did because of his rep as a person, despite them both being from the Dominican Republican.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No wonder Canadians can't catch, we're doing it all wrong...

In this guy's defense, do we know those aren't his hands? It's very possible he accidentally ate his real hands and uses baseball gloves instead of hooks.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough on your comments being directed at the media, not me. I misread that. But I don't agree that is what this about overall.

Well, as to whether the Major Leagues would still be exciting without Latino players - yes, they would be. When I was a kid the Majors was mostly black and white players and it was still exciting. Today it is largely Latino and it's still exciting. I don't think the racial composition of the teams is important. But I don't think that's really the issue as I think this is an individual personality issue, not a cultural one. The only thing racial in baseball that I can see is the walk-up music selection by the players.

That said, all places/businesses/countries/etc. have a culture to them that demands some level of conformity. I would prefer dressing casually at work (jeans,hoodie). But my workplace demands at least some level of dressiness, so I conform to that standard regardless of my upbringing, personal preference, culture, etc.

I think Dash is right that this has to do with individuals and their reputation. I don't think Pujols would have taken the same heat Bautista did because of his rep as a person, despite them both being from the Dominican Republican.

You can't tell me you don't want more of this in baseball.

If you do tell me that, I refuse your reality and substitute my own. My own reality is glorious bat flips.

Also, the KBO has the best bat flip environment in the world. I wish Kang, who bat flipped gloriously himself in the KBO, could feel comfortable doing so in the American game without fear of retribution. He's already super fun to watch, and that would just add to it for me.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe someone here can explain it to me better because I'm at a complete loss but why are the Jays still leading off with Ben Revere, he of the .263 OBP, while Kevin Pillar (.333 OBP) is batting 8th?

Hell, even Tulo is a better option than Revere at this point. Why must I be subjected to the Jays' best bats being automatically down an out before they even get a PA?

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe someone here can explain it to me better because I'm at a complete loss but why are the Jays still leading off with Ben Revere, he of the .263 OBP, while Kevin Pillar (.333 OBP) is batting 8th?

Hell, even Tulo is a better option than Revere at this point. Why must I be subjected to the Jays' best bats being automatically down an out before they even get a PA?
Gibby.jpg

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't tell me you don't want more of this in baseball.

There is a variety of difference in the flips in those videos. Some are just functional or part of him running to the bag. It's the grandstanding ones I'm not a fan of.

And here is the difference...when someone scores a goal in hockey or soccer, they go to the side and celebrate. They don't stand around the goalie and yell "why didn't you stop that!?!" In football, some players do the Lambeau Leap - cool! But the dicks like Desean Jackson turn around and taunt their defender as they cross the line backwards. All those moments do is fuel guys to take actions PURELY to harm you.

Posing after a home run is the same as the latter. It's a taunt, a fuck you. Most of the bat flips you showed didn't even have that intent. That's the point at which I find it annoying and disrespectful.

I'm not gonna agree with some of you on this issue. I've explained my reasons clearly - when a balls in play and when it's done as a fuck you, I don't particularly like it.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Showboating in the MLB is getting almost as bad as in the NBA.

:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.