• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT - I'm bored, Part Pangos & Bell!

Status
Not open for further replies.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bat flips are the best. There's an aesthetic and a pure emotion to them that I feel aligns with the spirit of the game. And I have no problem standing at the plate and watching a true no-doubter (like Joey Bats's), since there's nothing to gain by hustling.

I love it when Greinke flips his bat after hitting a gap shot, or Puig's on singles, or Shane Robinson, who just lets go of the bat by flipping it as a natural reflex. It looks awesome, and the game should be fun anyway, even for the pros.

America is the only place where it's frowned upon. Regarding the same, this excellent article regarding the same by manbearwolf John Baker:

Playing the right way?

"Me" culture. It also leads to guys getting beaned (which is also stupid imo), which makes it not worth it. (btw, flip/toss/whatever - talking about posing and throwing it as a fuck you to the other team, not the best method to discard of a bat)

I'm fine with celebrations in sports when the play is OVER or after you've scored - touchdown dances, players jumping on each other, etc. - but not while there's a ball in play. A true great is focused on the game and situation, not on posing. And even if you "know" its gone, it's about HABITS. But then again, I grew up watching this guy...

PHP4E17996239CE2.jpg

/old man rant! ;)

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know, I think it all depends all the likeability factor (conversely the prick factor) of the player executing the action. If Russell Martin hits that 3-run homer and does a bat flip, my guess is it's no big deal because pretty much everybody likes Russell. However, Bautista can be standoffish and surly at times with the media and because he did it, he's being disrespectful to the game.

/Heard a former pitcher on the radio last night, he said if you don't like the celebration, don't serve up the gopher ball. Pretty much spot on, in my opinion.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know, I think it all depends all the likeability factor (conversely the prick factor) of the player executing the action. If Russell Martin hits that 3-run homer and does a bat flip, my guess is it's no big deal because pretty much everybody likes Russell. However, Bautista can be standoffish and surly at times with the media and because he did it, he's being disrespectful to the game.

/Heard a former pitcher on the radio last night, he said if you don't like the celebration, don't serve up the gopher ball. Pretty much spot on, in my opinion.

is he unlikeable because hes standoffish with the media or because that lil bitch whines about as much about things as the pitchers who whine about him flippin bats

no one is allowed to throw inside to King Bautista ... NO ONE!!! (as per king bautista)

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
is he unlikeable because hes standoffish with the media or because that lil bitch whines about as much about things as the pitchers who whine about him flippin bats

no one is allowed to throw inside to King Bautista ... NO ONE!!! (as per king bautista)

Well, you make a good point jstew - Get ready for lots of chin music in the ALCS.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It was Donaldson who bitched about the Royals throwing inside.

The only time I can recall Bautista complaining about inside pitches, it was because this happened and the Shitbirds got mad because he stared at his home run after:

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only time I can recall Bautista complaining about inside pitches, it was because this happened and the Shitbirds got mad because he stared at his home run after:

seems to me ive seen him go all tough guy more than a handful of times when a pitcher has gone inside on him ... may not have complained to the media ... but he still has that stupid HAAAAANGry face

the at bat when he hit the winning dong v the rangers ... turns and complains about strike 1 to the umpire ... then watched strike 2 and gets all angry at himself (alledgedly ... if not still stewing over the strike 1 call) ... more power to him for channeling the angry to clutch up but what a fuckin wanker that guy is

go have another booster juice jose

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On a related note jstew, the further the Jays go in this post-season, the more it's going to drive Moj crazy.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On a related note jstew, the further the Jays go in this post-season, the more it's going to drive Moj crazy.

more crazy?

/knowing that im on "team moj" with this is the only thing making me think i should cheer for the Jays

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's an excellent point, Dash.

I'm sure some of this has to do with it being Bautista who is a horse's ass, a .257 career hitter, and I'm pretty sure a 'roids user.

Last edited:

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's the while the play is still going that bothers me in the end. I was trying to think where else you'd see that and thought of this kind of thing...

hester.gif

And this idiot...

BMySPzr.gif

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
seems to me ive seen him go all tough guy more than a handful of times when a pitcher has gone inside on him ... may not have complained to the media ... but he still has that stupid HAAAAANGry face

the at bat when he hit the winning dong v the rangers ... turns and complains about strike 1 to the umpire ... then watched strike 2 and gets all angry at himself (alledgedly ... if not still stewing over the strike 1 call) ... more power to him for channeling the angry to clutch up but what a fuckin wanker that guy is

go have another booster juice jose

Bautista plays better angry. For the benefit of the Jays, he should be as angry as often as possible. And he should wear it on his sleeve, because that's how it works best for him, and the Jays are trying to win the World Series.

I don't know how I'd feel about him as a person if I met him, or if I was his opponent, but if we are going to charge our athletes with performing at their best, and if this is how he performs at his best, then this is how we should expect him to be. But he never goes off about this stuff in the media, and he doesn't charge the mound. Yeah, he'll stare a guy down or admire a moonshot off a pitcher who did something he didn't like, but if an opponent does do something you don't like, beating them and making sure they know you beat them is the best way to get that revenge. It's a heck of a lot better than a bean ball or charging the mound or spouting off to the media.

(For the record, I'm fine with what Dyson said, too, since he, too, was speaking from intense emotion and frustration.)

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And this idiot...

nfldeseanjackson.gif

And this moron...

1239023890_showoff-touchdown-fail.gif

Honestly, all of these different people I've shown are good examples.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's the while the play is still going that bothers me in the end. I was trying to think where else you'd see that and thought of this kind of thing...

View attachment 41037

And this idiot...

View attachment 41038

When a slugger hits a home run that reaches the second deck comfortably and quickly, that ball isn't in play, and the play isn't still going on. Standing and admiring a gap shot or a single doesn't help your team (though it seldom actually hurts them), but there was no way that ball Bautista hit wasn't getting way out of play.

I mean, heck, when Giancarlo hit a ball completely out of Dodger Stadium, he took a moment to admire it. And he should have. That ball deserved his and everyone else's undivided attention.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And this guy too...

866581734.gif

Man, so many different players in football being idiots.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(For the record, I'm fine with what Dyson said, too, since he, too, was speaking from intense emotion and frustration.)

The only problem I have with Dyson (and other AL pitchers) is that they never have to face the music so to speak by going up to the plate and answering for plunking a player on the opposing team. They can start the fireworks by clearing the dugouts, but they never put a Louisville Slugger in their hands at the dish.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When a slugger hits a home run that reaches the second deck comfortably and quickly, that ball isn't in play, and the play isn't still going on. Standing and admiring a gap shot or a single doesn't help your team (though it seldom actually hurts them), but there was no way that ball Bautista hit wasn't getting way out of play.

I mean, heck, when Giancarlo hit a ball completely out of Dodger Stadium, he took a moment to admire it. And he should have. That ball deserved his and everyone else's undivided attention.

I think you make good points, D'stone, I just have a different opinion of the matter. :thumb:

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only problem I have with Dyson (and other AL pitchers) is that they never have to face the music so to speak by going up to the plate and answering for plunking a player on the opposing team. They can start the fireworks by clearing the dugouts, but they never put a Louisville Slugger in their hands at the dish.

Not true, Dash. Sometimes in the AL a crazy old man in the stands doesn't like it and leaps out of his seat and rushes the pitcher.

tumblr_mc0b3eHIxw1rp7k5oo6_250.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.