• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT - I'm bored, Part Pangos & Bell!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So that Papelbon is a hell of a teammate, isn't he?

Last edited:

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It used to be the saying the best team didn't win the World Series; now the best team(s) don't even make it that far. It's all about catching fire at the right time in baseball these days.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's even funnier is Arrieta is indeed having an excellent NL second half and he still might lose the Cy to Grienke.

Grienke has been incredibly consistent since day one. Arrieta was good first half, unbelievable second half. Sorry, you're letting your bias dictate this argument. Price has been great, Arrieta has been sincerely other worldly. This 10 game (I was looking at 11 game) run has never happened before. A comparable was Bob Gibson going 8-0 with a 0.25 ERA throwing 8 complete games in a row. Other than that, we pretty much have Arrieta. I'm not talking about who had a better year, I'm talking who is hot now.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grienke has been incredibly consistent since day one. Arrieta was good first half, unbelievable second half. Sorry, you're letting your bias dictate this argument. Price has been great, Arrieta has been sincerely other worldly. This 10 game (I was looking at 11 game) run has never happened before. A comparable was Bob Gibson going 8-0 with a 0.25 ERA throwing 8 complete games in a row. Other than that, we pretty much have Arrieta. I'm not talking about who had a better year, I'm talking who is hot now.
I am talking who's hot now too, and Price is throwing more K's, walking fewer batters and allowing a comparable number of hits as Arrieta despite throwing in the more offence-oriented league.

You can say Arrieta is hotter right now, and that's fine. I'm not even saying he isn't necessarily. I'm just saying that you saying "it's not even close" is nonsense. Likewise with your "he isn't going to win the Cy" without presenting any argument whatsoever about who in the AL is more deserving than him. That isn't bias, just recognizing a pitcher who has been everything he's been advertised as since coming to Toronto.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am talking who's hot now too, and Price is throwing more K's, walking fewer batters and allowing a comparable number of hits as Arrieta despite throwing in the more offence-oriented league.

You can say Arrieta is hotter right now, and that's fine. I'm not even saying he isn't necessarily. I'm just saying that you saying "it's not even close" is nonsense. Likewise with your "he isn't going to win the Cy" without presenting any argument whatsoever about who in the AL is more deserving than him. That isn't bias, just recognizing a pitcher who has been everything he's been advertised as since coming to Toronto.

I admit the Cy Young comment was unfounded, I honestly thought Kuechel's numbers were better than they were. But when I look at the value in a pitcher, runs is pretty dang high on the list. Ks are nice and all, but it's about getting a guy out. And he's not walking fewer guys, he's pitching fewer innings. Again, when I look at runs: 4 runs in 11 games. Price still not close there.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I admit the Cy Young comment was unfounded, I honestly thought Kuechel's numbers were better than they were. But when I look at the value in a pitcher, runs is pretty dang high on the list. Ks are nice and all, but it's about getting a guy out. And he's not walking fewer guys, he's pitching fewer innings. Again, when I look at runs: 4 runs in 11 games. Price still not close there.
No, he isn't close on the runs but quality of opposition matters so much. Price is facing batters hitting on average almost 40 more runs than Arrieta has during this span. That is a massive amount of extra power he has to deal with.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As good as Arrieta has been, he's got some work left to do to match Pedro in 99-00.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, he isn't close on the runs but quality of opposition matters so much. Price is facing batters hitting on average almost 40 more runs than Arrieta has during this span. That is a massive amount of extra power he has to deal with.

I hear you...but if we want to talk competition, 4 runs against Tampa Bay. Major league hitters are major league hitters, and I simply think that trying to put someone else in the discussion when it comes to this Arrieta run short sells what it is: an all-time performance.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear you...but if we want to talk competition, 4 runs against Tampa Bay. Major league hitters are major league hitters, and I simply think that trying to put someone else in the discussion when it comes to this Arrieta run short sells what it is: an all-time performance.
But there are good hitting teams and bad hitting teams. Arrieta has faced more bad ones than Price.

Like I said, Arrieta has been better over that span but Price hasn't been as far behind as it would seem.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear Steve Bartman is planning a return to the friendly confines...

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear Steve Bartman is planning a return to the friendly confines...

I'll totally make a cardboard cutout of him and bring it to the Wild Card game. That needs to happen.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, now it appears to be a foregone conclusion. Good luck to the Cubs in their series with the Cards.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm honestly dumbfounded at how anybody can back him in this. It seems like on the hierarchy of sports controversies and feuds this would be at the very bottom of the open and shut level.

Status
Not open for further replies.