• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Guitar Talk

Bizzle McDizzle

all of your teams suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

This dude's 10K guitar got smashed by an airline...

can't trust shit these days

Couldn't carry on a 10K guitar, but I'm sure some business travel douchbag on that flight had two oversized carry on's, saying one was his "personal item" and put them in the overhead sideways instead of wheels first to take up the entire bin because he/she is an entitled prick.
Then probably took off his/her shoes, and played words with friends during takeoff.

blindbaby

i want to bang on the drum all day
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is an interesting instrument, that's for sure. It has quite a few sounds I like messing with, but I need to really learn how to use it technically, and get some of the patches for it. I know they have some good "moog" patches out there that I really want to get.

This thing has a ton of different sounds that are great for electronica and hip hop, but it's capable of getting the sounds I want. Regardless, it's fun to mess around on. I definitely need to work on my playing skills. Haven't recorded anything yet.

Sounds a bit (logistically speaking) like my Roland Gaia. The stock patches are really geared towards the dance/techno/electronica crowd. But after spending some time editing, I'm able to conjure up quite a few proggy/fusion type Weather Report, Genesis, ELP, Rick Wakeman'ish patches.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^ I def need to check those out later.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saweet. I know I've talked about it a million times, but it's official. I am starting jazz guitar lessons on Tuesdays. So fucking amped.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Saweet. I know I've talked about it a million times, but it's official. I am starting jazz guitar lessons on Tuesdays. So fucking amped.

good luck, should be fun. that shit is over my head.
I have enough trouble remembering triads, let alone endless inversions.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
good luck, should be fun. that shit is over my head.
I have enough trouble remembering triads, let alone endless inversions.

Thanks man. Hopefully this gets me to where I want to be. I am not trying to become Pat Metheny... I just want to be able to freely play jazz chords and just know the fretboard like the back of my hand. Improvisation is something I am not happy with lately. I just use the same old licks all the time.

blindbaby

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I took an entire year of jazz at G.I.T. -- your head will spin soon.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol... I'm looking forward to it. I have the mind for jazz. I just need to stop being lazy and actually learn notation and theory.

I've been playing for 12 years now. I've only played by ear and used tabs here and there for real hard shit. Kind of hard to consider yourself a musician when you don't even read music.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Allan Holdsworth is fucking amazing. That is all.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy fuck... Puck, you ever hear Guthrie Govan? He is the guitarist in Steven Wilson's solo project, I started looking into his previous work and found this "supergroup trio" that he is a part of called The Aristocrats... Holy fuck is all I have to say. I think you'll dig this, it's a little "noodly" as far as guitar playing.

Last edited by a moderator:

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
yeah, Govan is pretty amazing.
master of a whole bunch of styles.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
558157_10151316259549261_1267837367_n.jpg

/David Byrne art installation

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everything with my income taxes is now correct and I'm actually getting some dough back. They had me down for having three chldren last year, so I actually owed, lol, fucking assholes in HR. Just placed my order for some Mojotone pickups, time to upgrade this strat o' mine. I'm still up in the air on the pickguard, but now that I am swapping out the pups, I need to make a decision.

I know for a fact I am going to be getting a Steinberger ZT3 towards the end of spring.

BadMotoWeazal

Got Dirt?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OT: I love music but I never learned to play anything.... My brother on the other hand is the musician. He bought a game for his xBox called Guitarsmith. I was checking it out the other day & it was pretty cool. Just throwing it out there if you have not seen it.

Last edited by a moderator:

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn guitar repair dude at Guitar Center just told me he is having a hard time getting my bridge and middle pickup to work with my s-1 switch...

I really didn't want to bring it there, but every other "notable" person in my area for guitar repairs and shit had ridiculous wait times.

I really can't wait to hear these new MojoTone pickups.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn guitar repair dude at Guitar Center just told me he is having a hard time getting my bridge and middle pickup to work with my s-1 switch...

I really didn't want to bring it there, but every other "notable" person in my area for guitar repairs and shit had ridiculous wait times.

I really can't wait to hear these new MojoTone pickups.

So... Everything is installed and supposedly sounds great. However, he claims the action has been lowered as much as it possibly can because my truss rod is slightly bowed. :L

Fuck.

Not a huge deal because I am used to playing with high action. I asked him if taking all the strings off at once to change them may have caused that,a nd he said no. Most likely just changes in weather and storing it in a room that isn't really temp neutral. Either way it is my fault. For years I kept it in the room I played in when living at my parents home, and the room had a shitty sliding door outside so the temperature in there was always up and down all year long.

Not sure if I want to replace the neck in the future as it will pretty much destroy the 60th anniversary authenticity. However I did just throw custom pickups in there and change the pickguard, lol.

I think I am just going to keep it the way it is for the time being and use it as my more vintage tones guitar. I plan on getting a Steinberger soon (probably late Spring) which they don't have issues with intonation and shit because they're all futuristic and shit, lol. That'll be good for the more experimental jazzy shit I do.

And that's that.

I'll post pics tomorrow after I pick her up.

blindbaby

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, you'll probably appreciate the higher action when you start playing some psycho jazz voicings. You might also want to switch to a higher string gauge (assuming you're 0.10 or less right now).

My minimum was always 0.11 but never felt great until 0.12