• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Guitar Talk

BigBlueNation111

Let The Games Begin!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of the Vox's are good for that "plucky" country sound, I just forget which models, not my style of music. I'm really diggin the tone on that Traynor YCS90, for 100w of damn good clean/gain tone for about 800 bucks... and its a combo so I dont need to lug around a head and cab... I think I am sold.

I'm also liking this Visual Sound line... I may pick up the H2O pedal by them (echo/chorus), I'll pretty much be set for effects. I dont use flange or wah that much. So the distortion/OD pedal and the echo/chorus pedal should carry me for a while till I pick up prolly the EVH flange by MXR, and the MXR Wah pedal. I'm not a huge effects person. Distortion to add to the amp and some OD for soloing and I am good.

Hey Sly,i'm looking to learn how to play the guitar,i can sing my ass off and everyone tell's me if i can learn the guitar it would be a big help in maybe a future career.Anyway do you know any good sites to get started on? Not that it matters...but i sing mostly country.:becky:

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as the amps I am pretty much down to... It's either going to be:

JCA100HDM - Jet City Amplification
JCA100HDM.jpg

or

Traynor Amps: All Tube Guitar Combos
Traynor_ycs90-custom_special_90.jpg

I'm leaning towards the latter... Canadian product (I like to stick to North America), plus its a combo and that tone really is sweet for the price.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Sly,i'm looking to learn how to play the guitar,i can sing my ass off and everyone tell's me if i can learn the guitar it would be a big help in maybe a future career.Anyway do you know any good sites to get started on? Not that it matters...but i sing mostly country.:becky:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/

This site is free and can be very helpful... Lot of reading though. Do you own a guitar yet? Start with the beginner stuff before you try rushing into country tunes. You're gonna wanna learn the basic chords and blues scale, and how to read tab (I am assuming you don't know how to read music). Then start some beginner country and blues lessons. It'll take a little bit to get used to, but don't get discouraged. I taught myself how to play.

BigBlueNation111

Let The Games Begin!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guitar Lessons @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com

This site is free and can be very helpful... Lot of reading though. Do you own a guitar yet? Start with the beginner stuff before you try rushing into country tunes. You're gonna wanna learn the basic chords and blues scale, and how to read tab (I am assuming you don't know how to read music). Then start some beginner country and blues lessons. It'll take a little bit to get used to, but don't get discouraged. I taught myself how to play.

Thank you very much bud! You saying you taught yourself really makes me feel better about it.No i don't know how to read music yet,but i'm ready and willing to learn! I'm left handed..but i strum with my right hand,does it really matter?

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope, whatever feels natural to you. I know people who are left handed but play guitar right handed. You don't need to know how to read music... I can very little. Just learn to read guitar tab at first, its like the cheap and easy way to learn songs.

BigBlueNation111

Let The Games Begin!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope, whatever feels natural to you. I know people who are left handed but play guitar right handed. You don't need to know how to read music... I can very little. Just learn to read guitar tab at first, its like the cheap and easy way to learn songs.

We have a pawn shop here in Lex,KY right by the house that has guitar's from 60$-on up.I'll have to look and see what they have.Just starting out,i'll probably get a cheap one!But i'll take ur advise on everything you've told me so far.If ya don't mind i'll keep ya posted on my progress!:becky:

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds good man, good luck. Start with something cheap, preferrably an acoustic. It'll help build hand strength and help you be more accurate. An electric guitar can hide your fuck ups.

BigBlueNation111

Let The Games Begin!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds good man, good luck. Start with something cheap, preferrably an acoustic. It'll help build hand strength and help you be more accurate. An electric guitar can hide your fuck ups.

I guess amps are good for that?
guitar.gif

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you pretty much learn on-line?

I furthered my knowledge online as I got older. But I started playing at 14. Bought some books and a few VHS tapes, and did nothing but play. As funny as it sounds, I was actually much better at improvisation in high school. My knowledge of music was more vast then. I went through a perid of like 2.5 years where I didn't even pick my guitar up... Kinda sad, but I was just going through a ton of shit. But lately, music is all I care about. I'm even drifting away from extreme metal and more into prog music. I do nothing but listen to like 60's/70's prog rock and instrumental guitarists like Joe Satriani and Steve Vai. You don't need to become fascinated with them yet, although they do help to give you a kick in the ass to really push yourself to learn. Their creativity and sound is just amazing.

I'm trying to get into fusion guitar playing... I am going to need a teacher for that though. Jazz is a bitch.

BigBlueNation111

Let The Games Begin!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I furthered my knowledge online as I got older. But I started playing at 14. Bought some books and a few VHS tapes, and did nothing but play. As funny as it sounds, I was actually much better at improvisation in high school. My knowledge of music was more vast then. I went through a perid of like 2.5 years where I didn't even pick my guitar up... Kinda sad, but I was just going through a ton of shit. But lately, music is all I care about. I'm even drifting away from extreme metal and more into prog music. I do nothing but listen to like 60's/70's prog rock and instrumental guitarists like Joe Satriani and Steve Vai. You don't need to become fascinated with them yet, although they do help to give you a kick in the ass to really push yourself to learn. Their creativity and sound is just amazing.

I'm trying to get into fusion guitar playing... I am going to need a teacher for that though. Jazz is a bitch.

When i was a kid around 7 or 8, me and my dad would sit around on Sunday's and listen to music on the floor model sterio"8track"..slash turntable contraption..lol and he would plug his electric guitar into it and i would strum an old regular guitar with him and we would do that for hr's at a time,he passed away 11yrs ago to cancer,so i would like to get into playing and singing.I'm doing it for myself but i know he would be proud of me to try and see what i can do.I'm going to be 41 oct 30th...better late than never!! lol

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol, never too late to play music. Sorry to hear about your Dad. I'll be playing music till the day I die. 41 is not old.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
We have a pawn shop here in Lex,KY right by the house that has guitar's from 60$-on up.I'll have to look and see what they have.Just starting out,i'll probably get a cheap one!But i'll take ur advise on everything you've told me so far.If ya don't mind i'll keep ya posted on my progress!:becky:
bring someone with you know knows what to look for in a decent guitar. Cheap is OK, but if you get a difficult guitar to start with (crooked or bowed neck, dead frets, etc), that could really make it harder than it needs to be.

this guy is excellent, too Free guitar lessons : Justin Guitar
more advanced stuff from this guy riffoftheweek's Channel - YouTube
(he's Steve Vai's guitarist)

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks puck, site looks good, I'll have to check this out, never heard of it myself.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I returned that Jekyll and Hyde pedal, and upgraded to the Fulltone GT-500

Fulltone-GT-500-red.jpg

Fulltone Musical Products, Inc. | pedals | GT500

This thing is sweet. I didn't get any metal tone out of that last one. This GT-500 covers a lot of ground for one pedal. Very happy with this one.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, I just listed my amps for sale on craigslist to upgrade. I am going to go with something that wont break the bank. The Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue.

FenderBluesDeluxeReissueAmp__290x290.jpg