• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Guitar Talk

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
yeah, those are sweet pedals.

reminds me of this: (No, I don't have one)
quinnDE.jpg

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lmao... The tone of the Jekyll and Hyde pedal is very diverse. I'm diggin' it. For 150 bucks you cant go wrong. Just wish I had a damn tube amp for it to really scream. Hopefully in a month or so.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got a Martin acoustic and a '66 walnut-finish SG with a line 6 spider IV 150W head and an Ibanez 4x12 cabinet, works for me.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got a line 6 III combo... While it is good for what it is... I need that tube tone. Line 6 is just too digital sounding for me.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got a line 6 III combo... While it is good for what it is... I need that tube tone. Line 6 is just too digital sounding for me.

I've spent most of my time playing acoustic so I don't know all the technical aspects of amps. I like my line 6 though, although I don't like the clean tones all that much.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Line 6 Spider series are solid state amps with built in effects processors. My whole life I have played solid state and didnt know shit about amps. But when I plugged my strat into 70's era Marshall amp, I nearly jizzed my pants (I actually did). That tube tone is just so smooth and warm and really accents your guitar true tone. There is a drastic difference, only thing that sucks is a real nice tube amp is big bucks. But even a middle of the road tube amp and even some cheap ones if you do enough research are better than most of the top notch solid state amps.

Martin acoustics are nice so I dont blame you. I got my eyes on a Jet City amplifier... They are designed by Soldano but built in China. I try to stay away from Asian built amps cause they can be cheaply made, but I have heard nothing but good reviews on these amps. I would love to get a Soldano amp at some point, but they are 1500-4000, lol. So I figure for the time being, a Jet City amp for 800 bucks just might do the trick.

I had my eyes on a Blackstar, but I hear the cleans are horrible. The Jet City can get some real nice tone if you change the stock tubes it comes with.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although I also have my eyes on one of these thanks to puck...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is the technical difference between a tube amp and digital?

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its hard to describe, you gotta hear it for yourself. Some people like solid state amps better. All depends on the sound you as a player are looking for. I dig that vintage sound, not the digital sounding distortion.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heres a video, I havent watched it though, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

blindbaby

i want to bang on the drum all day
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's all subjective tone, but here are my thoughts:

- Solid state tends to sound better when using lots of effects such as delay, chorus, and flange.

- Tubes have a warmer tone, especially for a clean tone or slight break up.

- Solid state amps are much better for keyboards and vocals

- Tube amps are much better for harmonica; maybe even sax and trumpet?

The type of player you are generally determines the type of amp you should use; well, so does finances, but that's another issue. If you're a jazz player, you'll definitely want a tube amp; if you like that 80's type rock tone, you might find solid state your best option.

I find the tube have more of a pronounced ring too them, especially when you play a chord; even more pronounced with a single strum, or sparse rhythm. If you're really chonking on the guitar, you might prefer the solid state sound as the extra ringing might just make your sound too muddy and less defined. Again though, those are just my thoughts and I wouldn't be surprised to see some 180 degrees opposite thinking on the subject.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1

tubes:
tube_amp_1.jpg

solid state:
picresized_1254273516_th_d13d0c9e0330878588b39f670eb2a7b9.jpg

essentially the difference is like analog sound vs digital.
digital can do largely the same things, but they just don't have the warmth (organic nature) of the original.
I like to start with a basic tube amp, and then build whatever layers of effects on top of that.
The amp you are starting with has to sound good in an of itself (cleans and with some gain) for the final product to sound good.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow thanks for the knowledge there ya'll, I'm about to sell my amp and cab cuz I need the money, my next one will probably be a tube amp. Anyone got any recommendations for a good dirty southern rock tone?

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Wow thanks for the knowledge there ya'll, I'm about to sell my amp and cab cuz I need the money, my next one will probably be a tube amp. Anyone got any recommendations for a good dirty southern rock tone?

depends on how loud you need to be.

like Jeff had posted, I am partial to the Traynor line. Canadian made, and criminally under-priced.
I picked up a used YCV50 out of New Hampshire for about $400.
clean and dirty channel, each of which sound pretty strong.

my favourite dirt is just to throw a ProCo Rat in front of the amp. (look for the older ones with the LM308 chip).
these can still be had for well under $100, and are just a great dirt pedal.
everyone from David Gilmour to Andy Summers, Thurston Moore, Jerry Cantrell, Joe Perry to James Hetfield have used them heavily.

220px-ProCo_Rat_2.jpg

blindbaby

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deviating a bit from the discussion - but since digital vs analogue has been mentioned - it's a fallacy that for recording, one is always better than the other. It's a known fact that analogue doesn't really capture the fidelity of a classical concert; whereas digital (although not perfect) captures much more of the true fidelity. For rock though, the opposite is generally true in that analogue captures much more of the warmth in a recording.

blindbaby

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think you can go too wrong with the Traynor that Puck recommended. It's a great amp; definitely under-priced and under-rated.

You might also want to check out the Fender Hot Rod and Blue Deluxe.

I also think the Peavey classics are a good choice, too. Peavey :: Classic Series These Peavey's are very reliable amps which won't kill your budget.

BTW, I own a Fender Deluxe Reverb and Seymour Duncan 84-40; definitely not what you're looking for, though.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of the Vox's are good for that "plucky" country sound, I just forget which models, not my style of music. I'm really diggin the tone on that Traynor YCS90, for 100w of damn good clean/gain tone for about 800 bucks... and its a combo so I dont need to lug around a head and cab... I think I am sold.

I'm also liking this Visual Sound line... I may pick up the H2O pedal by them (echo/chorus), I'll pretty much be set for effects. I dont use flange or wah that much. So the distortion/OD pedal and the echo/chorus pedal should carry me for a while till I pick up prolly the EVH flange by MXR, and the MXR Wah pedal. I'm not a huge effects person. Distortion to add to the amp and some OD for soloing and I am good.