• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Guitar Talk

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
I'm really on a prog kick though... Puck, is this out of your musical realm? I have fallen in love with these guys.

It was pretty good. didn't really grab my attention the way it has for you though.
thanks for the effort, I always like listening to something new.

Last edited by a moderator:

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Warren Haynes is the fuckin' man!

I could run this clip on repeat all day long (Neil Young tune originally, which is awesome in its own right)

[YOUTUBE]aCiLCo-LoUg[/YOUTUBE]

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im thinking about going to the DMB Caravan in NY in late August.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I only wanna go for one day though... Sucks, Saturday has Moe., and Sunday has Bela Fleck.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Puck, that is a really awesome tune...

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been racking my mind whether I want to buy a new guitar or not... But I decided to just upgrade my strat. I'm gonna throw a Bare Knuckle set in there (Black Dog Humbucker in the bridge / Slow Hand SC's in the mid and neck slots). These fuckers are expensive, but the sound is amazing. After the delivery fee from the UK, they'll be about 380 bucks.

Take a listen though... The mids are awesome. Really diverse, I love the crunchy tone as well as the metal tone from this pick up, ideal for classic rock and metal. The Slow Hand SC's have a great clean sound. Prolly going to get them in like 2 weeks or so, and have them installed when I get my strat intonated and set up/cleaned.

Bare Knuckle Pickups, UK - Black Dog Humbucker
Bare Knuckle Pickups, UK - Slow Hand Single Coil

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I definitely want another strat in the Spring though, some new upgrades to play with will hold me over till then. I prolly should invest in a nice tube amp before I go buying another guitar though.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
~$400 is pretty steep for new pups if it's just to hold you over until spring.
you can get your decent tube amp for that.

blindbaby

i want to bang on the drum all day
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I definitely want another strat in the Spring though, some new upgrades to play with will hold me over till then. I prolly should invest in a nice tube amp before I go buying another guitar though.

Just my opinion, but an amp is infinitely more important than pick ups; I'll even go as far to say as the amp is more important than the guitar in the overall picture. In fact, it's pretty much proven that a cheap guitar can actually sound not bad through a first class amp, but even a 10,000 dollar Gibson 175 will sound like puke through a cheeseball amp.

blindbaby

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You actually can get something not too bad for that price. I'm guessing though, that Jeff probably wants 200 watts or so; he's probably looking at around $1800 or so for that.

blindbaby

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been racking my mind whether I want to buy a new guitar or not... But I decided to just upgrade my strat. I'm gonna throw a Bare Knuckle set in there (Black Dog Humbucker in the bridge / Slow Hand SC's in the mid and neck slots). These fuckers are expensive, but the sound is amazing. After the delivery fee from the UK, they'll be about 380 bucks.

Take a listen though... The mids are awesome. Really diverse, I love the crunchy tone as well as the metal tone from this pick up, ideal for classic rock and metal. The Slow Hand SC's have a great clean sound. Prolly going to get them in like 2 weeks or so, and have them installed when I get my strat intonated and set up/cleaned.

Bare Knuckle Pickups, UK - Black Dog Humbucker
Bare Knuckle Pickups, UK - Slow Hand Single Coil

All of those tones came through a tube amp. You'll never achieve anything close to those singing tones without a very nice tube amp. In fact, the clean tone was VERY reminiscent of the tone I can get through my Seymour Duncan 84-40 tube amp with a Weber Blue Dog alnico speaker.

blindbaby

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I prefered the, "slow hand single coil", although, they both sounded great, no doubt.

EDIT: nevermind, just read you're going to get both of those bad oscars -- cool.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yea, after listening to you two, I realize the amp is more important for overall tone. But ultimately I will get these pickups, they are amazing.

Just my opinion, but an amp is infinitely more important than pick ups; I'll even go as far to say as the amp is more important than the guitar in the overall picture. In fact, it's pretty much proven that a cheap guitar can actually sound not bad through a first class amp, but even a 10,000 dollar Gibson 175 will sound like puke through a cheeseball amp.

You actually can get something not too bad for that price. I'm guessing though, that Jeff probably wants 200 watts or so; he's probably looking at around $1800 or so for that.

Actually, I'd rather get a small tube amp just for personal use and tone. And trade in my solid state amp for a solid state half stack to gig with my band. I've actually never owned a tube amp, what wattage is enough to gig with, I know tube is much louder than a solid state. I'm in a hardcore thrashy punk band, but I truly enjoy playing blues and stuff, I just dont play it out, so a small tube amp would be suitable to just really showcase my guitars tone instead of this digital sounding line 6.

All of those tones came through a tube amp. You'll never achieve anything close to those singing tones without a very nice tube amp. In fact, the clean tone was VERY reminiscent of the tone I can get through my Seymour Duncan 84-40 tube amp with a Weber Blue Dog alnico speaker.

Yea my amp sucks. lol, I've been looking at Laney's and Orange amps. Orange is fucking expensive though. Laney has nice tone and is affordable.

I prefered the, "slow hand single coil", although, they both sounded great, no doubt.

EDIT: nevermind, just read you're going to get both of those bad oscars -- cool.

Those SC's do sound nice. The HB would be for my metal playing.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
65ridr2.jpg

Fender Products

I went and tried out this amp, I love the sound... I would def have to buy a tubescreamer to get some distortion out of it, but the cleans were amazing. I've never been a Fender amps person, just the geetars, but this reissue is nice as hell. 1000 bucks though, which is feasible if I sell my Crate and my Line 6. I never realized how much louder tube amps are, that 40w amp sounded way louder than my 100w solid state.

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to get a new amp and Electric (mine is pretty basic, but I don't play it that often anyway...) but I don't have the $$$ to do it

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shit... I really would love to play one of these myself, but I love this way more than the Fender.

The Orange TH30

orange_th30c_combo_amp_f.jpg

PhillyFate48

Pimp by blood
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
65ridr2.jpg

Fender Products

I went and tried out this amp, I love the sound... I would def have to buy a tubescreamer to get some distortion out of it, but the cleans were amazing. I've never been a Fender amps person, just the geetars, but this reissue is nice as hell. 1000 bucks though, which is feasible if I sell my Crate and my Line 6. I never realized how much louder tube amps are, that 40w amp sounded way louder than my 100w solid state.

I have crates of 7inch punk records that i can't do anything with!:mad: