• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Disney buys Lucasfilm, plans to release Star Wars episode VII

DChero

Out of Work Superhero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm really psyched about this. I actually starting re-reading I-Jedi (I know) the other day on the plane. Hadn't picked up a Star Wars book in about 10 years, but luckily the wife let me keep them anyway.

I'm really excited for this move. Disney did a great job in getting the Avengers out, why would this be any different? It will still be Lucasfilm doing the work, Disney's just paying the bills. I'm so glad that the plan is go beyond beyond the timeframe of the six movies. That era's been done to death.

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When do they use it as a measure of time? When Han boasts he did the Kessel Run in under 12 parsecs? That's actually correct. The Kessel Run is an 18 parsec smuggling route through a region of space densely populated by black holes (the Maw). By cutting his safety margins, Solo managed to fly closer to the black holes and shave off over six parsecs of distance. The question you should be asking is not why Han uses the wrong measurement, it's how fucked up does space look near the Maw that Han managed to cut a third of the trip out without anyone else trying it.

Not that I really understand all this but......

If we're going to believe this, then we have to believe that the Star Wars definitely existed in our universe, thus following our physical laws. So if that's the case, then dig this: 12 parsecs is about 39 lightyears. So if Han Solo was traveling at the speed of light this run would take him about 40 years, and Harrison Ford is not that old in the movie.

BUT WAIT! Han says that the ship can travel .5 past light speed. Okay. EVEN if we are to accept that the Millennium Falcon could travel 1.5 times the speed of light (not possible) through the concept of hyperspace (not plausible) then it's still 26 years.

And sure, he won't age that much because he's following the laws of special relativity, but he'll still age... and if he travels this fucking much and claims to do the Kessel Run so much than he has done it numerous times... and really, if he were that old than the love story wouldn't work. So I'm not buying this either.

Now, here's the problem... a parsec isn't a unit of time, in fact it's a unit of distance. 1 Parsec is equal to 3.262 light years, another distance. I know what you're thinking, you're thinking, "But wait? Parsec sounds like a unit of time... so does lightyears..." Well, you're wrong. Cause those motherfuckers are units of distance. A lightyear is the distance covered by something going the speed of light for a year, and a parsec is a the motherfucking distance from the Earth to a star that has a parallax angle of one arc-second.

Making Sense of the Millennium Falcon's Kessel Run

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gangnam-style-star-wars-gif.gif

SWHoloDance.gif

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank you Kessel (clap clap clapclapclap)
Thank you Kessel (clap clap clapclapclap)

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't remember if I said it's good to have you back posting here, IPW, but it is damn good to have you back.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is some conceptual art for the next Darth Vader:

2528270-dr_doom_cup.jpg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Carl Sagan said that traveling at 0.9 the speed of light, you could circumnavigate the entire universe in something like 38 years proper time. I'm going to go ahead and say Han would not have aged all that much going 1.5 the speed of light over just 12 parsecs.

The time a remote observer would observe is the longest possible time observed by the person on the craft, but in this case, I would estimate the time observed by Han to be much shorter.

DChero

Out of Work Superhero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Expanded Universe puts forth the most interesting and thorough explanation to the "parsec problem": the Kessel Run was normally an 18-parsec route. A popular travel route for smuggling operations, the Kessel Run went around the Maw, a cluster of black holes.

Han's claim to have made the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs was therefore not just a boast about his ship's speed, but also his skills and daring as a pilot. Han shaved a third of the distance -- and precious time -- off the normal route by flying dangerous close to the black holes.

How Did Han Solo Make the Kessel Run in 12 Parsecs - Star Wars FAQ - Kessel Run in Under 12 Parsecs

Duh... :nerd:

Last edited by a moderator:

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to bump my own work while tooting my own horn, but does anyone see the 2 'shops in this pic, and what they are?

Disney Castle and well the building on the right looks like a bottle of scotch to me which indicates I need an intervention but I cant find the second piece

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

right the urban legend of some sex image in every movie. is that what Im looking at for the bottle of scotch building... :D

that one with the scroll I saw the Sex right away. lol

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The New Star Wars Trilogy Will Be an Original Story - ComingSoon.net

E! Online has learned from a source at Lucasfilm that the new films won't be an adaptation of the books. Their source says "it's an original story."

so I guess they will just write from ideas. I wonder if they will do a continuation of the Skywalker story?

fascinating to see where they go and how they do it.

Last edited by a moderator: