• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT Cowboys

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goose Gosselin just said he thinks Dunbar will become our Sproles this season and the odd man out is Randle (dependent on draft).

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He certainly isn't the type of high integrity locker room guy I thought Jerry was looking for these days

Winning cures all. Those 90's Cowboys always had issues but the room in general was strong. If you win it's ok to absorb these players, if they don't then all hell will break loose but that's just the nature of the beast.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winning cures all. Those 90's Cowboys always had issues but the room in general was strong. If you win it's ok to absorb these players, if they don't then all hell will break loose but that's just the nature of the beast.

This is true, winning does mask other issues.

I do have the concerns with the 6 game or so, suspension that Hardy may be facing. If they were to re-sign McClain, I'm pretty certain he's gonna miss 2-4 games or so as well. Thats quite a bit of time for significant impact guys to miss.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is true, winning does mask other issues.

I do have the concerns with the 6 game or so, suspension that Hardy may be facing. If they were to re-sign McClain, I'm pretty certain he's gonna miss 2-4 games or so as well. Thats quite a bit of time for significant impact guys to miss.

I agree completely.

I heard Hardy's looking at no less than 4, probably no more than 6. But this just illustrates your point.

It's hard to put many eggs in a guys basket when he might be gone for a 3rd of the season. By then, who knows, we might have fallen back to earth, or suffered a few injures, which would totally negate having him on the team at that point.

And I promise ya, Hardy is a bad person. He's going to get in trouble again. It's not a matter if, it's when.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree completely.

I heard Hardy's looking at no less than 4, probably no more than 6. But this just illustrates your point.

It's hard to put many eggs in a guys basket when he might be gone for a 3rd of the season. By then, who knows, we might have fallen back to earth, or suffered a few injures, which would totally negate having him on the team at that point.

And I promise ya, Hardy is a bad person. He's going to get in trouble again. It's not a matter if, it's when.

Clairvoyant are we?

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clairvoyant are we?

If you're referring to my "prediction" on Hardy it doesn't take a crystal ball to figure out a guy who has been in trouble for pretty much his entire life, that he'll likely do it again.

When he was coming out of HS (West TN) many a school backed off of him due to his off field "issues." He ended up going to Ole Miss and had 2nd round talent but went in the 6th due to his off field "concerns."

He's considered a bad influence in the locker-room, and is headed toward a suspension - at least this appears imminent - and he's a mental midget. Maybe I shouldn't mention mental and Hardy in the same sentence.

Make of it what you will.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DE Greg Hardy agrees to one-year deal with Cowboys

Free agent defensive end Greg Hardy agreed to a one-year deal with the Cowboys, the team announced. The deal has a minimum base salary, but Hardy can earn up to $13.1 million, according to Pro Football Talk.

The contract includes a stipulation that Dallas cannot put the franchise tag on Hardy in 2016, per ESPN.com.

Hardy, 26, spent most of last season on the commissioner's exempt list due to a domestic violence case. The prolific pass rusher, who racked up 26 sacks for Carolina in 2012 and 2013, is expected to receive an NFL suspension.

It's unclear how long the suspension might be, though the Cowboys' website says it's widely expected to be 4-6 games.

The Cowboys notched 28 sacks last season, fifth-worst in the league.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Copied from the Main Cowboys Board:

The contract is as follows:

$0.00 guaranteed/signing bonus: Cowboys can cut him whenever they want with zero issue.

$745,000 base salary (earns if with the team).
$578,437 per game played (so if he plays 10 games he gets $5.8M). This is important in wake of his possible suspension for 6 games + any other issues he has.
$1.3M workout bonus (gets this if he participates April-May)
$1.1M roster bonus (no idea when this will take effect but prob. April 2016 or something)

$11.3M if he plays ALL 16 games and works out with additional bonuses if he generates 8 sacks+.

So what to take away from this... the per game played is split between LBTE (likely to be earned) and NLTBE (not likely to be earned). For Hardy this year, only 2 LBTEs of the 16 possible were counted in the contract. So if he plays all 16 games, the 14 NLBTEs (not likely...) will count against the 2016 salary cap and Dallas will receive less money to spend.

All said, the $1.3M might as well be guaranteed since it's in Hardy's interest to DEFINITELY not miss the workouts this year and get some cash in his pocket.

If Hardy is suspended 6 games and plays the other 10 we're likely looking at the following (excluding the sack bonus):

Let's say Hardy DOESN'T re-sign with Dallas in 2016:

2015: $745,000 + $1.3M + $1.15M(LBTE) = $3.2M cap hit.
2016 (if they don't resign) and roster is forfeit = $4.6M hit to cap (8 * $578K NLBTE)

Ultimately it's a pretty good deal since if the Cowboys just stick with him for 10 games they're getting just a $7.8M cap hit (spread over 2 years) for a VERY good pass rusher who would attend workouts (important since he's been out a year) and would have him for playoffs which Hardy is.

Hardy is one of the better pass rushers in the league so getting him for 1 year @ $7.8M total hit against cap is a sweet deal (barring any incentives, he needs 8 sacks to get $500K which is monstrous for 10 games). If he sucks or starts to throw a tantrum the Cowboys can just cut him mid season and basically incur nothing against their cap for 2016.

I havent checked for 100% accuracy, but if this is correct it looks like a great deal for the Boys

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Actually, it's typical of Dale. He's looking - always has - for a soapbox on which to tell his tale whenever he can. Even when I agree with him, his point starts and ends with him being self serving.

Hardy is a bad guy. There's no debating this. After all, how many guys have ever come outta college (Ole Miss) and their former coaches bad mouthed em to NFL teams? Did you know back in 2010 he was predicted by SI to be the NUMBER ONE player taken in the draft? Granted, he did get hurt. But his head hurt him more than the physical injury, from a draft standpoint. Went in the 6th round.

But in fairness to the Cowboys, the following is true: (1) No team is more need of a pass-rusher than them? (2) They only signed him for a one year deal, so apparently even this man/beast understands this is his chance to either resurrect his career or burn himself down. (3) And most importantly, if what was published yesterday is correct, the contract is so full of loopholes which favors the team is like no contract I've ever seen. Again, if it's accurate, the Cowboys are on the hook for very, very little and can release Hardy for anything, at anytime they so choose and not pay him squat. (See Murph's post above).

I wish we hadn't signed him. But desperate times calls for desperate measures as the old saying goes.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, it's typical of Dale. He's looking - always has - for a soapbox on which to tell his tale whenever he can. Even when I agree with him, his point starts and ends with him being self serving.

Hardy is a bad guy. There's no debating this. After all, how many guys have ever come outta college (Ole Miss) and their former coaches bad mouthed em to NFL teams? Did you know back in 2010 he was predicted by SI to be the NUMBER ONE player taken in the draft? Granted, he did get hurt. But his head hurt him more than the physical injury, from a draft standpoint. Went in the 6th round.

But in fairness to the Cowboys, the following is true: (1) No team is more need of a pass-rusher than them? (2) They only signed him for a one year deal, so apparently even this man/beast understands this is his chance to either resurrect his career or burn himself down. (3) And most importantly, if what was published yesterday is correct, the contract is so full of loopholes which favors the team is like no contract I've ever seen. Again, if it's accurate, the Cowboys are on the hook for very, very little and can release Hardy for anything, at anytime they so choose and not pay him squat. (See Murph's post above).

I wish we hadn't signed him. But desperate times calls for desperate measures as the old saying goes.
Dale has always been a very arrogant individual. I can remember when his sports segment would come on and even in baseball season would talk about the Cowboys and at the very end would say something like oh yeah, the Rangers won 5-4.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dale has always been a very arrogant individual. I can remember when his sports segment would come on and even in baseball season would talk about the Cowboys and at the very end would say something like oh yeah, the Rangers won 5-4.

:pound:.....I'd forgotten this. Really, I had. Good pick up sir!

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eagles sign Miles Austin

He'll probably miss 8 games due to an "injury".

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Berman just called the Bucs decision a 10-12 year one...haha They will be drafting a new QB in 5 years more than likely. Good luck with Winston.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unsurprisingly Jameis and Marcus go 1 and 2. Have a feeling both teams will have top 10 picks again next year. Rookie qbs can only do so much for a team that has lots of issues.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unsurprisingly Jameis and Marcus go 1 and 2. Have a feeling both teams will have top 10 picks again next year. Rookie qbs can only do so much for a team that has lots of issues.

Neither are NFL QB's IMO.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Neither are NFL QB's IMO.
Yeah, I don't really think so either. Marcus has a better shot, because to his credit he's actually quite smart. Winston is Vince Young kind of dumb.

Now the Jags make a a non flashy pick. Good pick for them.