• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT Cowboys

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PTI just reported that Ryan Matthews is still going to sign with the Eagles. What on earth is going on here?

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PTI just reported that Ryan Matthews is still going to sign with the Eagles. What on earth is going on here?

They need two backs in that system. I wouldn't use Matthews as a feature back if I wasn't forced to like the Chargers were.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If DeMarco doesn't fumble and the Cowboys go to the NFC championship game do you think it would be any different?

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They need two backs in that system. I wouldn't use Matthews as a feature back if I wasn't forced to like the Chargers were.

So you wouldn't consider Sproles a very good second back?

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you wouldn't consider Sproles a very good second back?

I forgot he was even an Eagle to be honest. They are crowded now. I always liked Sproles as a quick back for screens and draws.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just read up on the number of comp picks Dallas is due for losing all these free agents. It's pretty nice. The article suggested Dallas will likely end up with 4 extra picks, including one third rounder. Good deal for a team that needs more defense right?

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just read up on the number of comp picks Dallas is due for losing all these free agents. It's pretty nice. The article suggested Dallas will likely end up with 4 extra picks, including one third rounder. Good deal for a team that needs more defense right?

That's excellent actually.

I also heard this afternoon the contract with Murray only cost the Eagles 2 mil toward the cap in 2015.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's excellent actually.

I also heard this afternoon the contract with Murray only cost the Eagles 2 mil toward the cap in 2015.

I will never understand how the salary cap works in the NFL. It might as well not even exist with all the little loopholes. If you give a dude a bigger pile of guaranteed money you get away with a smaller cap number. I don't really like that. Either have a hard cap that you are set on policing and maintaining or get rid of the dang thing.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I did not realize that. Not too bad.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will never understand how the salary cap works in the NFL. It might as well not even exist with all the little loopholes. If you give a dude a bigger pile of guaranteed money you get away with a smaller cap number. I don't really like that. Either have a hard cap that you are set on policing and maintaining or get rid of the dang thing.

Saying it leaves us "laymen" in want of how does this cap work?, would be an understatement for sure.

But the guaranteed money comes into play somewhere over the next 4/5 years.

No one wants to hear it, but I swear, I wouldn't have given DM this much guaranteed money, and we'll see how this all shakes out when it's all said in done.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saying it leaves us "laymen" in want of how does this cap work?, would be an understatement for sure.

But the guaranteed money comes into play somewhere over the next 4/5 years.

No one wants to hear it, but I swear, I wouldn't have given DM this much guaranteed money, and we'll see how this all shakes out when it's all said in done

I don't get why any NFL teams pays a RB that much money. The work load is just too punishing and the ROI is low because of that. That's why I don't blame Demarco for taking the money. You have such a limited window to get paid as an NFL back. Good for him for getting his money, and even better for Stephen Jones showing restraint by not giving it to him. The roster moves the last couple of seasons really make me hopeful for the future when he takes over. Hopefully the Cowboys are done with falling in love with players and overpaying them to the point of hamstringing the franchise.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully the Cowboys are done with falling in love with players and overpaying them to the point of hamstringing the franchise.

All of that seemed to change when they rightfully didn't extend Demarcus Ware. The Cowboys probably wanted to extend him long term so bad and possibly put him in the ring of honor someday. The guy did so much for the team. In my opinion, the only thing wrong with Stephen Jones is that he's related to Jerry Jones. I don't know if Stephen is conferring with Jason Garrett or if he's doing this on his own, but they're improving the way things are being done and making the right / tough decisions that a good GM needs to make. I'll also give props for their drafting the last few years.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All of that seemed to change when they rightfully didn't extend Demarcus Ware. The Cowboys probably wanted to extend him long term so bad and possibly put him in the ring of honor someday. The guy did so much for the team. In my opinion, the only thing wrong with Stephen Jones is that he's related to Jerry Jones. I don't know if Stephen is conferring with Jason Garrett or if he's doing this on his own, but they're improving the way things are being done and making the right / tough decisions that a good GM needs to make. I'll also give props for their drafting the last few years.
Cannot fault the guy for having Jerry as a dad. He's spent most of his adult live knowing that one day he would take over, and he's surely making the most of it so far. By letting these FAs go they are setting themselves up for further down the road in an even post-Romo era. Stay the course and build it from the OL outward.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cannot fault the guy for having Jerry as a dad. He's spent most of his adult live knowing that one day he would take over, and he's surely making the most of it so far. By letting these FAs go they are setting themselves up for further down the road in an even post-Romo era. Stay the course and build it from the OL outward.

I understand that. It's a fact of life, you can't choose your family. I was just trying to make the point that Stephen is going to have to prove himself to the Cowboys, the fans, and other organizations across the league. He's going to have to overcome his father's reputation as a football idiot and so far he appears to be doing way better than I thought he would be.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I won't touch the stuff about Jerry, because it's not worth debating.

What Stephen is doing is taking a page out of successful franchises playbooks. Look at the Patriots and Ravens the last decade or so. If the Cowboys can take that mold and and tweak it to fit their needs they will be set up for years.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To win in football you build from the line out on both sides of the ball, plain and simple. It seems like the Cowboys have finally learned that.

The Eagles still haven't. They're still throwing piles of cash at big name free agents, trying to build all-star teams. It was a disaster the first time with Vick and Asomugha and it will be again this time. They don't even know what they're doing. Their whole offseason has been a fly by the seat of their pants shit show. Traded McCoy for Alonso. Let Maclin walk. Traded Foles for Bradford. Tried to sign Gore. Signed Mathews instead. Then got another do-over by signing Murray. You will never convince me that at the start of the offseason Chip Kelly sat down and said "ok, I want to weaken the WR corps, make sure we get Sam Bradford in here, and then create a 3-headed monster at RB, all of whom will be fighting for touches and none of whom will be named McCoy". It's like they just kept making moves to make moves. So weird.

But back to the Cowboys- I hope they use as many draft picks and much remaining cap space as possible on upgrading the defense and then save just enough to bring on board an insurance policy RB like Spiller or McFadden. I know they've already said they won't be looking to spend $$ on those free agent RB's, and I think that's smart. But I have a feeling since those RB options aren't the greatest that at least one of them won't get signed and will have to settle for a much smaller term and dollar amount.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To win in football you build from the line out on both sides of the ball, plain and simple. It seems like the Cowboys have finally learned that.

The Eagles still haven't. They're still throwing piles of cash at big name free agents, trying to build all-star teams. It was a disaster the first time with Vick and Asomugha and it will be again this time. They don't even know what they're doing. Their whole offseason has been a fly by the seat of their pants shit show. Traded McCoy for Alonso. Let Maclin walk. Traded Foles for Bradford. Tried to sign Gore. Signed Mathews instead. Then got another do-over by signing Murray. You will never convince me that at the start of the offseason Chip Kelly sat down and said "ok, I want to weaken the WR corps, make sure we get Sam Bradford in here, and then create a 3-headed monster at RB, all of whom will be fighting for touches and none of whom will be named McCoy". It's like they just kept making moves to make moves. So weird.

But back to the Cowboys- I hope they use as many draft picks and much remaining cap space as possible on upgrading the defense and then save just enough to bring on board an insurance policy RB like Spiller or McFadden. I know they've already said they won't be looking to spend $$ on those free agent RB's, and I think that's smart. But I have a feeling since those RB options aren't the greatest that at least one of them won't get signed and will have to settle for a much smaller term and dollar amount.

Called this one:

NFL Darren McFadden to join Cowboys - ESPN