• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT College Football

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did not say I know how. Just saying until a way is found there will always be someone unhappy with committee results.

Well, gee whiz DT. Here I thought you had a plan of attack. hahaha

Seriously, there has to be a committee, or something similar, IMO. Because someone has determine who participates in the process of determining who gets to the final four - hopefully soon - final eight.

But with a final eight, the chance of a conference feeling slighted is much more remote. Although this is not part of the thought process today, it is important IMO.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is a very well thought out article regarding what the Big 12 should do to move forward from this seasons horrific end.

Big 12 options: What are league's choices after playoff snub? - College Football - SI.com

Well I have my answer about why it was 12 teams, it was arbitrary;

The NCAA rule isn’t some sacred text. In fact, it’s completely arbitrary. I wrote a story in May that explained how it came to exist, and here’s the passage that explained how the rule’s writer arrived at 12 teams.

[In 1986, West Chester (Pa.) University athletic director Dick] Yoder wrote a draft of the rule that required 14 schools -- to match the [Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference’s] membership -- split into two divisions, playing a round-robin schedule within their divisions. After learning from friends with more NCAA legislative experience that he had worded the legislation incorrectly, he rewrote it. But while Yoder was rewriting, some friends from the Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association (CIAA) -- a 12-member league of historically black schools then spread throughout North Carolina, Virginia and Maryland -- asked him if their league could co-sponsor the legislation. They liked the idea, and they also used divisions. So, Yoder revised his legislation to require 12 teams and not 14. That was it. There was no research. No debate. The CIAA had 12 members at the time, so Yoder wrote the number 12 into the legislation. “We were Division II,” Yoder said. “Nobody really cared.”

Thanks Donaldson, having a little more on the issue, I think I'm in agreement about changing the rule about 12 teams, I had forgotten about the round robin schedule allowed in a 10 team league, which is nice

Last edited by a moderator:

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I have my answer about why it was 12 teams, it was arbitrary;

The NCAA rule isn’t some sacred text. In fact, it’s completely arbitrary. I wrote a story in May that explained how it came to exist, and here’s the passage that explained how the rule’s writer arrived at 12 teams.

[In 1986, West Chester (Pa.) University athletic director Dick] Yoder wrote a draft of the rule that required 14 schools -- to match the [Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference’s] membership -- split into two divisions, playing a round-robin schedule within their divisions. After learning from friends with more NCAA legislative experience that he had worded the legislation incorrectly, he rewrote it. But while Yoder was rewriting, some friends from the Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association (CIAA) -- a 12-member league of historically black schools then spread throughout North Carolina, Virginia and Maryland -- asked him if their league could co-sponsor the legislation. They liked the idea, and they also used divisions. So, Yoder revised his legislation to require 12 teams and not 14. That was it. There was no research. No debate. The CIAA had 12 members at the time, so Yoder wrote the number 12 into the legislation. “We were Division II,” Yoder said. “Nobody really cared.”

Thanks Donaldson, having a little more on the issue, I think I'm in agreement about changing the rule about 12 teams, I had forgotten about the round robin schedule allowed in a 10 team league, which is nice

You're welcome. Since you had posted the nitty-gritty much earlier, you were on it before I even knew it existed. Good job.

One would hope the NCAA - in all it's wisdom - would allow the Big 12 to have a playoff, especially considering how arbitrarily 12 teams was arrived at in the first place.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously DT.....since Briles and Montgomery have been together for such a long time, what's your take on who moves into the position? Outside the organization?

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously DT.....since Briles and Montgomery have been together for such a long time, what's your take on who moves into the position? Outside the organization?
Inside is what I hope.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well my candidate for the Heisman lost. Amari Cooper was my choice and I hope he will someday wear the star on his helmet.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well my candidate for the Heisman lost. Amari Cooper was my choice and I hope he will someday wear the star on his helmet.

As long as he doesn't wear a Bird, NY, or Indian Chief. He's a hell of a talent.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the right guys won.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO TIGERS!!

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QBs in college get way too much love these days. Most college QBs out up ridiculous stats. Does anyone play defense anymore?

Granted, defense isn't as emphasized as it once was. At least it doesn't seem to be.

But have you looked at the numbers Mariota put up? Those are absolutely mind boggling stats. Unequaled by anyone, ever. And not just this one year either. For 3 straight years.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn he nailed the dogshit out of that kick. That was gonna be good from 60+.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sad end to a bowl game....BYU and Memphis both should be ashamed of themselves.