• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Bet This Dude Wishes He had Just Shut It Off.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess the next question is why didn't management do anything about it? If they're going to show the ads before movies about not texting, then why not immediately act upon a complaint? I sense a lawsuit coming from the family of the deceased as sad as it may sound.

Probably a bunch of tough talk that they won't back up. I think they just depend on people to hear the threat and decide to do the right thing. I've been to many, many movies and have never seen a person removed from the theater.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because they are understaffed. They don't employ security to assure adherence to every rule, in every theater.

At some point they expect adults to act responsibly and maintain a certain level of civility.

Yep. No security and most of the ushers are just teenagers.

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Because they are understaffed. They don't employ security to assure adherence to every rule, in every theater.

At some point they expect adults to act responsibly and maintain a certain level of civility.

It's not a matter of calling security. This is different then a kid sneaking in to a rated R movie or people movie hopping. That requires vigilance and man power. Not acting on a complaint is different. There is a certain amount of negligence there.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not a matter of calling security. This is different then a kid sneaking in to a rated R movie or people movie hopping. That requires vigilance and man power. Not acting on a complaint is different. There is a certain amount of negligence there.

I don't disagree. The fact remains, he didn't report the man, and expected a minuscule amount of respect or at least consideration.

Are we so screwed as a country that there is no semblance of respect for fellow citizens, and even more so, our elders?

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yep. No security and most of the ushers are just teenagers.

Makes sense. Maybe if he didn't think the ushers cared, he could've asked to speak with a manager. He seemed to care a lot about the texting, so I'm surprised that he didn't persist.

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't disagree. The fact remains, he didn't report the man, and expected a minuscule amount of respect or at least consideration.

Are we so screwed as a country that there is no semblance of respect for fellow citizens, and even more so, our elders?

I think we are screwed. When I first heard about this, I assumed the guy texting was much younger. But he was actually 43!

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes sense. Maybe if he didn't think the ushers cared, he could've asked to speak with a manager. He seemed to care a lot about the texting, so I'm surprised that he didn't persist.

Agreed. There are a lot of things he could have done before pulling a gun. I suspect, as a former police official, that he is used to handling matter on his own. It really is too bad for the dead dude's family.

Imagine the wife going home and having to tell her three-year old that her dad got shot because he was too stubborn to turn off his cell phone in a theater.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we are screwed. When I first heard about this, I assumed the guy texting was much younger. But he was actually 43!

Yeah, we are screwed. I still have a hard time understanding how a man texting is that distracting. I text before a movie starts but when it starts, I put my phone in my pocket.

What are we missing here? Something doesn't add up.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, we are screwed. I still have a hard time understanding how a man texting is that distracting. I text before a movie starts but when it starts, I put my phone in my pocket.

What are we missing here? Something doesn't add up.

I have a feeling that as a former police captain the old dude has a very rigid sense of right and wrong and is probably used to telling people what to do and having them obey him.

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Agreed. There are a lot of things he could have done before pulling a gun. I suspect, as a former police official, that he is used to handling matter on his own. It really is too bad for the dead dude's family.

Imagine the wife going home and having to tell her three-year old that her dad got shot because he was too stubborn to turn off his cell phone in a theater.

And if what they say is true, it was because her dad and her were texting back and forth.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a feeling that as a former police captain the old dude has a very rigid sense of right and wrong and is probably used to telling people what to do and having them obey him.

So he was so enraged by text tones that he confronted the man? I don't discount your view but that seems a bit extreme.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL, who said I was disinterested in the movie (but, since it's during a game, I'm probably there cuz of the GF). It takes 5 seconds and doesn't bother anyone but the people looking for a reason to be bugged. How would you even notice if someone checked a score if you were really interested in the movie.

They notice because a very bright light source is now coming from the dark part of the theater and it isn't the movie screen. It is extremely distracting and bothers everyone I know including myself. Why would the theater make a point to tell you not to do it?

Typical selfish, careless, and I'm above everybody else behavior on your part.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So he was so enraged by text tones that he confronted the man? I don't discount your view but that seems a bit extreme.

No. Not my point of view at all. What I believe enraged him was this guy flaunting the rules.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And if what they say is true, it was because her dad and her were texting back and forth.

Now that I don't believe. I don't know any three year olds who can text.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They notice because a very bright light source is now coming from the dark part of the theater and it isn't the movie screen. It is extremely distracting and bothers everyone I know including myself. Why would the theater make a point to tell you not to do it?

Typical selfish, careless, and I'm above everybody else behavior on your part.

Yup. Exactly!

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So it turns out the guy was texting the babysitter.

The old man is claiming fear of attack and that an unknown object hit him in the face and then he pulled his gun and shot him. So the Florida stand your ground law might be his defense. He has to convince a judge or jury that he reasonably feared for his life and felt he could not retreat. Gonna be quite the challenge.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The guy could have activated a strobe light in the theater every five minutes, then thrown a rock at the old man, and the old man would still be an insane lunatic to shoot him. At some point, just leave. But as we see every day, in this thread, everywhere, Americans like to use their guns to solve problems and the bar to justify deadly force is lowered every day.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
He has to convince a judge or jury that he reasonably feared for his life and felt he could not retreat.

If the Zimmerman case is any indication he could easily get off. It appears that in Florida all that matters is the individual's perception of danger, no matter what a pathetic, paranoid ninny the individual is. You think one punch is going to kill you? OK, you're justified in killing someone. If the victim threw anything more substantial than a cottonball at the old man, some jury might have to submit to that lunatic law and exonerate the shooter.