• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Bet This Dude Wishes He had Just Shut It Off.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right cuz you were there to know anything. We don't know everything.

However a father is dead which what seems to be an old man overreacting.

For the sake of devil's advocate...

Who overreacted? The guy who reasonably asked somebody to stop texting in a movie theater, or the guy who picked a fight with an old man because he wanted to continue being an asshole?

Dude should have known he was in the wrong, but that's the problem with society these days. Nobody is held accountable for being an obnoxious prick. I may be in the vast minority here, but I think Oulson got exactly what he was asking for. Don't misconstrue my meaning. I'm not advocating shooting somebody for being an obnoxious prick. But if the thought never even occurred to you that somebody might put you in your place some day...

I don't know for a fact, but I doubt this guy was winning any father-of-the-year awards.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. But I get your point about carrying a gun leading to trouble.

Sure. But if you have it, you should try very hard to never need it. It certainly doesn't sound like that was the case here.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. He might expect getting yelled at. He might expect getting his ass beat. He should not expect to be shot, and anyone doing the shooting should be put away for a good long time. Especially a former law enforcement officer.

As far as your day, in 1960, there was one murder for approximately every 19,700 people in the country. In 2012, that number was one for approximately every 21,200 people - basically consistent with where those rates had been for several years. Murder rates were highest from the early '80s into the mid-'90s. In 1980, for instance, there was a murder for every 9,800 people. The claim that you are far more likely to be killed today than "in your day" is simply false. At least as far as murder is concerned. Though if you're in your 80s or older, I admittedly don't know what the murder rate looked like "in your day."

And incidentally, as an old white male, what day is yours if not the present? If you don't like the state of this country, you should be looking at your own generation, not younger ones. After all, you guys are the ones exercising the vast majority of the power.

I didn't say "expect, I said "accept". I'm not going to argue your facts about murder rates but tell me the last time you heard about a couple of shitbirds going into a high school and shooting a bunch of kids like Columbine, Sandy Hook or the theater in Aurora. It just didn't happen. I stand by my statement that you are more likely to get killed in a "routine" confrontation today than when I was young.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Who overreacted? The guy who reasonably asked somebody to stop texting in a movie theater, or the guy who picked a fight with an old man because he wanted to continue being an asshole?

Dude should have known he was in the wrong, but that's the problem with society these days. Nobody is held accountable for being an obnoxious prick. I may be in the vast minority here, but I think Oulson got exactly what he was asking for. Don't misconstrue my meaning. I'm not advocating shooting somebody for being an obnoxious prick. But if the thought never even occurred to you that somebody might put you in your place some day...

I don't know for a fact, but I doubt this guy was winning any father-of-the-year awards.

Exactlyy my point.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure. But if you have it, you should try very hard to never need it. It certainly doesn't sound like that was the case here.

Agreed. If you have it, you might pull it and that can only end badly.

SDPaddlefish

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,390.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, as someone who has often seen people playing candy crush around me during movies, and as someone who often checks sports scores during movies, I fail to see how texting interferes with someone watching a movie. You shouldn't even notice it. Common courtesy because there's a miniscule amount of light near you?? Someone munching on popcorn is worse or what about someone chewing on the ice in their drink? The guy didn't even have a right to bitch or whine, IMHO.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
. Someone who is legitimately carrying a handgun for self defense purposes should be the quietest, nicest, most polite person out there. After all, this is the easiest way to stay out of trouble. But that's rarely the case. Instead, we regularly see people who are carrying handguns acting with more aggression than they normally would, very likely because they know they have a gun. The gun provides them with a sense of security, and as a result, they don't think as much about placing themselves in potentially dangerous situations. And that is total and utter BS.

You're making too many assumptions and generalizing. There is no data to support this and you are just assuming.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

I hope I never have to use any of my weapons besides for hunting. I pray that's the case. But I also have a plan in place if something were to happen. I grew up in the country and we were robbed three times and my sister nearly ubducted on two other occasions. That taught me a lesson at a young age. Doesn't matter where you live, there are phycho assholes everywhere. Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. He might expect getting yelled at. He might expect getting his ass beat. He should not expect to be shot, and anyone doing the shooting should be put away for a good long time. Especially a former law enforcement officer.

As far as your day, in 1960, there was one murder for approximately every 19,700 people in the country. In 2012, that number was one for approximately every 21,200 people - basically consistent with where those rates had been for several years. Murder rates were highest from the early '80s into the mid-'90s. In 1980, for instance, there was a murder for every 9,800 people. The claim that you are far more likely to be killed today than "in your day" is simply false. At least as far as murder is concerned. Though if you're in your 80s or older, I admittedly don't know what the murder rate looked like "in your day."

And incidentally, as an old white male, what day is yours if not the present? If you don't like the state of this country, you should be looking at your own generation, not younger ones. After all, you guys are the ones exercising the vast majority of the power.

We have a certain expectation for proper conduct and decorum that should be adhered to and in general we follow it. The kids don't but they will get the country they earn. I'm just glad I won't be around to see it.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

If you want proof that people escalate things and act like assholes extremely quickly these days just read SportsHoopla. People go from zero to psycho in no seconds flat. And it's not gonna get any better.

"Tony Romo is a great QB."

"You've got to be kidding me."

"You're a f#&<@ing C#<k sucking dip $#!& @$$hole and I'd kick your stupid ass if this computer weren't holding me back you DUMB F%<#!!!" :mad2:

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, as someone who has often seen people playing candy crush around me during movies, and as someone who often checks sports scores during movies, I fail to see how texting interferes with someone watching a movie. You shouldn't even notice it. Common courtesy because there's a miniscule amount of light near you?? Someone munching on popcorn is worse or what about someone chewing on the ice in their drink? The guy didn't even have a right to bitch or whine, IMHO.

That's the problem, though. People DO notice it and it impacts their ability to enjoy the movie they paid to see. Why do you think movie theaters tell their patrons to be courteous of the other patrons and turn them off?

And if you're so disinterested in the movie, why did you waste the money to be there? What, you can't wait 90 minutes to check a sports score? Your attention span is THAT short?

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You are the problem. You think the rules don't apply to you. You are in an establishment that has made it clear to you that texting and phoning is not allowed in the theater. You should respect that rule. Rules and following those rules are what make for a civilized society. It doesn't matter whether you think it is right or wrong. It is the rule of the establishment and you need to abide by it. If it bothers you that much, then wait for the DVD and text to your heart's content at home on your couch.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you want proof that people escalate things and act like assholes extremely quickly these days just read SportsHoopla. People go from zero to psycho in no seconds flat. And it's not gonna get any better.

"Tony Romo is a great QB."

"You've got to be kidding me."

"You're a f#&<@ing C#<k sucking dip $#!& @$$hole and I'd kick your stupid ass if this computer weren't holding me back you DUMB F%<#!!!" :mad2:

People SHOULD get into fights over calling Romo a great QB.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
A few thoughts on this. First, handguns have a single practical purpose: to shoot human beings. They can be used for other purposes, but that is far and away their primary purpose. For that reason, they are distinct from virtually any other "tool," and I don't have the slightest problem with people drawing that distinction. It doesn't mean that handguns should be banned necessarily, but comparing them to spoons to emphasize the human agent is a flimsy argument at best.

Now, there is only one legitimate reason for an ordinary citizen to carry a handgun: self defense. Any other purpose is illegal so far as I know. And if a person is so afraid that they need to carry a weapon that effectively has a single, harmful purpose, they have no business doing anything that comes remotely close to placing themselves or others in danger. Someone who is legitimately carrying a handgun for self defense purposes should be the quietest, nicest, most polite person out there. After all, this is the easiest way to stay out of trouble. But that's rarely the case. Instead, we regularly see people who are carrying handguns acting with more aggression than they normally would, very likely because they know they have a gun. The gun provides them with a sense of security, and as a result, they don't think as much about placing themselves in potentially dangerous situations. And that is total and utter BS.

As far as I'm concerned, someone who is knowingly carrying a firearm should not be able to rely on self defense unless they have done everything in their power to avoid and/or extricate themselves from a dangerous situation prior to using the gun. If someone puts his- or herself into a dangerous situation, as arguably occurred here - though I'm frankly skeptical based on initial reports that this guy was in any real danger, and uses the gun they are allegedly carrying for self defense, they should be punished. By engaging in a potentially dangerous interaction while armed with a deadly weapon, they are creating a situation that is significantly more likely to result in death or serious injury, and they should be punished accordingly. Several states basically take this approach. Florida, unfortunately, is not one of them.

I strongly disagree with this. You make way to many generalizations. You take the handful of cases you hear on the news, and use that to smear hundreds of thousands of law abiding citizens.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Why couldn't the guy just put the phone beneath his shirt and peak at it that way? Problem solved.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are the problem. You think the rules don't apply to you. You are in an establishment that has made it clear to you that texting and phoning is not allowed in the theater. You should respect that rule. Rules and following those rules are what make for a civilized society. It doesn't matter whether you think it is right or wrong. It is the rule of the establishment and you need to abide by it. If it bothers you that much, then wait for the DVD and text to your heart's content at home on your couch.

Again nobody here was there. So we don't know all the facts. Even I don't know if the old man was in a fight. But it sure doesn't sound like it.

I can't condone anyone getting shot over texting or god damn popcorn. Again let's wait till it all comes out. But the witnesses basically said they argued and he threw popcorn. Who the fuck shoots somebody over something as little as that?

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why couldn't the guy just put the phone beneath his shirt and peak at it that way? Problem solved.

He didn't like someone telling him waht to do; especially when he knew he was wrong.