• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Baseball Playoffs

SRPnVA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
iMac is right. The ump made the right call. As soon as the ss camped under it and called for it the ump put his arm up signaling INF fly. If the ss was running out to make a play and it dropped in without him camping under it then it would've been a hit or an error. It all has to do with whether or not the infielder or outfielder are camping under the ball. If there was no confusion between the LF and SS and the SS continues playing the ball and lets it drop in he could easily double up the runners if no INF fly rule was called. The confusion between the LF and SS is what makes it look like a bad call.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
He never camped. In order to camp you have to stop. He never stopped. Also he was never directly under the ball it landed behind him and to his left.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He called for it as the SS stepped forward and the ball dropped to the ground. It's routine when it's a popup the infielder can easily get to within a few feet of his current position. When the ball is far enough out into LF that the Left Fielder has a play on the ball it's not longer a routine popup for the SS.

If it was routine the call for an infield fly ball would have been made a few seconds after the ball left the bat, and not right before it hit the ground. The rule even states the umpire has to call for it early to give the runners and fielders time to react to the call.

Also watch the play the Braves runners are half way between the bases so no matter what happened they were advancing or retreating with no problem.

SRPnVA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once he stopped moving toward LF and took a step forward the ump put his arm up. To the ump he had a play on the ball and he showed the ump he had position. Doesn't even matter if the ball fell 2 feet behind him. INF flies can be called even if an outfielder is catching the ball. I wouldn't say the runners were half way, the guy on 2nd was about secondary lead distance away and was retrieving until he saw the ball fell.

SRPnVA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they didnt have an extra ump down the line I don't think it would've been called. The more I look at it the more I think it's too deep to be an inf fly. It's definitely pushing the boundary.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
When Omar Vizquel says that it isnt a routine play and that the call was wrong I will take his word on it.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
He called for it as the SS stepped forward and the ball dropped to the ground. It's routine when it's a popup the infielder can easily get to within a few feet of his current position. When the ball is far enough out into LF that the Left Fielder has a play on the ball it's not longer a routine popup for the SS.

If it was routine the call for an infield fly ball would have been made a few seconds after the ball left the bat, and not right before it hit the ground. The rule even states the umpire has to call for it early to give the runners and fielders time to react to the call.

Also watch the play the Braves runners are half way between the bases so no matter what happened they were advancing or retreating with no problem.

Are they playing tee-ball? Within a few feet? Seriously? Then any ball around the mound wouldn't be an infield fly.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are they playing tee-ball? Within a few feet? Seriously? Then any ball around the mound wouldn't be an infield fly.

So pitchers don't count as an infielder? What I mean is that it's a ball they can easily get under before it starts coming down. Where that ball was hit the SS was never going to get under it soon enough for the umpire to a make the judgement that the fielder should catch the ball and be able to give proper notice of the call to the base runners.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
So pitchers don't count as an infielder? What I mean is that it's a ball they can easily get under before it starts coming down. Where that ball was hit the SS was never going to get under it soon enough for the umpire to a make the judgement that the fielder should catch the ball and be able to give proper notice of the call to the base runners.

No, pitchers don't count as infielders. The pitcher and the catcher make up the battery. The infield is 3, 4, 5 and 6. But you said the ball had to be within a few feet. Even if the pitcher were a part of the infield, a few feet from him still means, by your standard, it's not an infield fly.

And that ignores the fact that pitchers are explicitly told not to pursue pop-ups, but to the let the infielders get them.

And if you're requirement is that the infielder be under the ball by the time it starts coming down there will be very few infield fly rules called, even on balls in the infield.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Source: MLB.Com

Infield Fly:

An INFIELD FLY is a fair fly ball (not including a line drive nor an attempted bunt) which can be caught by an infielder with ordinary effort, when first and second, or first, second and third bases are occupied, before two are out. The pitcher, catcher and any outfielder who stations himself in the infield on the play shall be considered infielders for the purpose of this rule.

When it seems apparent that a batted ball will be an Infield Fly, the umpire shall immediately declare “Infield Fly” for the benefit of the runners. If the ball is near the baselines, the umpire shall declare “Infield Fly, if Fair.”

The ball is alive and runners may advance at the risk of the ball being caught, or retouch and advance after the ball is touched, the same as on any fly ball. If the hit becomes a foul ball, it is treated the same as any foul.

If a declared Infield Fly is allowed to fall untouched to the ground, and bounces foul before passing first or third base, it is a foul ball. If a declared Infield Fly falls untouched to the ground outside the baseline, and bounces fair before passing first or third base, it is an Infield Fly.

Rule 2.00 (Infield Fly) Comment: On the infield fly rule the umpire is to rule whether the ball could ordinarily have been handled by an infielder—not by some arbitrary limitation such as the grass, or the base lines. The umpire must rule also that a ball is an infield fly, even if handled by an outfielder, if, in the umpire’s judgment, the ball could have been as easily handled by an infielder. The infield fly is in no sense to be considered an appeal play. The umpire’s judgment must govern, and the decision should be made immediately.

When an infield fly rule is called, runners may advance at their own risk. If on an infield fly rule, the infielder intentionally drops a fair ball, the ball remains in play despite the provisions of Rule 6.05 (L). The infield fly rule takes precedence.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I must say the format for the playoffs is terrible. First off I don't like 5 games series. Second, starting the first two on the road and having one at 9:07am is unfuckingbelievable. I'm really glad I have MLB Network otherwise I wouldn't even be able to see the game.

Giantsmojo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
iMac is right. The ump made the right call. As soon as the ss camped under it and called for it the ump put his arm up signaling INF fly. If the ss was running out to make a play and it dropped in without him camping under it then it would've been a hit or an error. It all has to do with whether or not the infielder or outfielder are camping under the ball. If there was no confusion between the LF and SS and the SS continues playing the ball and lets it drop in he could easily double up the runners if no INF fly rule was called. The confusion between the LF and SS is what makes it look like a bad call.

The infield fly is to prevent the defense from dropping the ball on purpose in order to get a double play, the ball was hit too deep to be able to get a double play even if they dropped it on purpose, they could have gotten the lead runner but that would have been it. There is no way that should have been called an infield fly.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I must say the format for the playoffs is terrible. First off I don't like 5 games series. Second, starting the first two on the road and having one at 9:07am is unfuckingbelievable. I'm really glad I have MLB Network otherwise I wouldn't even be able to see the game.

I'll add the sudden death WC playoff format to your unfuckingbelievable statement - NFL>>>>>>>>>>>>MLB

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

it's like they want the a's to lose

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Ouch, not a good weekend for the As and Giants. The A's may have a chance since they're playing at home. I'm not so sure of the Giants winning 3 games in Cincinnati .

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ouch, not a good weekend for the As and Giants. The A's may have a chance since they're playing at home. I'm not so sure of the Giants winning 3 games in Cincinnati .

I went from Cloud 9 to I want to fucking bust every wall in my house with my fists and forehead. Awful game for the A's. First Crisp did us in and then the bullpen took a shit, TWICE. Ruined the effort of the Cuban.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I declare myself the Ny Yankee representative here in this thread.

Declared!

Go Yankees!

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go Giants! SF Giants that is.