• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: AAA bent my car door

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is okay, provided they give them their own roads/lanes.

Because unless you disable all manually operated cars simultaneously, you are going to cause a shit-ton of accidents when something stuck at 55mph is crawling along the highway. Truckers will be crushing them left and right.

So, keep SkyNet off-line then?

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What speed limits? :car:

Hahah, you see, I'm the same. I think the only reasons I've never been pulled over is because A) I'm lucky B) I'm pretty good at spotting them on I-70 and most of all C) I drive a van. I think the van throws them off. "Man, that Mom really needs to get somewhere. Maybe her kid is sick...let her go."

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hahah, you see, I'm the same. I think the only reasons I've never been pulled over is because A) I'm lucky B) I'm pretty good at spotting them on I-70 and most of all C) I drive a van. I think the van throws them off. "Man, that Mom really needs to get somewhere. Maybe her kid is sick...let her go."

I take it it's a minivan then and not a "That dude's probably got a half dozen abducted children in the back" van?

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is okay, provided they give them their own roads/lanes.

Because unless you disable all manually operated cars simultaneously, you are going to cause a shit-ton of accidents when something stuck at 55mph is crawling along the highway. Truckers will be crushing them left and right.

I would think the money saved on property damage and medical expenses could easily pay for kits to retro-fit existing cars (yeah right, they'd blow it).

If you take the human element out of it, there's no reason that cars couldn't travel 100+ MPH regularly on the highways.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you take the human element out of it, there's no reason that cars couldn't travel 100+ MPH regularly on the highways.
Until you go around that bend with a torn up truck tire in the road...

I'm a good, experienced driver, but 80mph (130kph for you canadians, eh) is just about near the top of my comfort level.

Also, I prefer to drive at night when the lowest common denominator human element is off the road. :D

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Until you go around that bend with a torn up truck tire in the road...

I'm a good, experienced driver, but 80mph (130kph for you canadians, eh) is just about near the top of my comfort level.

Also, I prefer to drive at night when the lowest common denominator human element is off the road. :D

That's the thing though. When the technology evolves enough, the cars will know those tires are there and they'll be able to avoid it.

And the truck will automatically notify the cars around it that one of it's tires has exploded and they'll react accordingly.

That's obviously a long way off though.

And for what it's worth (very little, I know) depending on traffic and road conditions, I have no issues driving extremely fast, except that I don't like getting pulled over. I like the style in several parts of Europe where the speed limit is as fast as you can safely drive.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
90mph is my cut off.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regarding the manual vs. automatic debate...CVT is where it's at. I've driven a CVT since 2003 and won't go back. The technology has come a long way.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regarding the manual vs. automatic debate...CVT is where it's at. I've driven a CVT since 2003 and won't go back. The technology has come a long way.

They are pretty bad ass. My brothers Maxima just goes.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are pretty bad ass. My brothers Maxima just goes.
Put the engine in its peak power/torque RPM range and keep it there. All from just the pressure on the gas pedal from your foot. I've left more muscle cars in the dust from a stop light when they go to shift from 1st to 2nd. :D

Plus, the lack of shifting also lends to more economical fuel usage, when I want to conserve my money.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would think the money saved on property damage and medical expenses could easily pay for kits to retro-fit existing cars (yeah right, they'd blow it).

Hence the reason they need their own roads. Some people will refuse to give up their pedals. And THEY are the dangers. Not the autobots.

I admire the Autobahn, and would LOVE to be able to drive that way. I've had training and I own a car designed to behave consistently at 120+ (though I rarely get there :D). I could very easily be safe and travel 80-90 regularly, *if* everyone else understood that they cannot be over to the right at 3mph over the posted limit.

But we can NEVER have an autobahn over here. Because it has been the other way for so long, the instant it gets instituted every boy racer with his extra horsepower stickers on a Honda Civic will hit the highway and try to melt his tires off and people will die. It's irrelevant how useful it could be. We as a society wouldn't know how to behave.

And the truck will automatically notify the cars around it that one of it's tires has exploded and they'll react accordingly.

Until someone figures out how to make every truck in America say they lost a tire at once. For the lulz.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But we can NEVER have an autobahn over here. Because it has been the other way for so long, the instant it gets instituted every boy racer with his extra horsepower stickers on a Honda Civic will hit the highway and try to melt his tires off and people will die. It's irrelevant how useful it could be. We as a society wouldn't know how to behave.
Same can be said for drinking alcohol. Our puritan limits put on drinking age tends to create binge drinkers at the HS and college level. In europe, there is less limits on drinking and more people grow up being responsible drinkers, as there is no pent up novelty to wear off.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same can be said for drinking alcohol. Our puritan limits put on drinking age tends to create binge drinkers at the HS and college level. In europe, there is less limits on drinking and more people grow up being responsible drinkers, as there is no pent up novelty to wear off.

Binge drinking is supposed to wear off?

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd probably bore people and be laughed at for my safe driving. About 75 to 80 max for me, and that's if I am in the middle of no where. And I know how to use turn signals! But again, driving and cars are just transportation to me, I don't think its cool or fun or anything.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd probably bore people and be laughed at for my safe driving. About 75 to 80 max for me, and that's if I am in the middle of no where. And I know how to use turn signals! But again, driving and cars are just transportation to me, I don't think its cool or fun or anything.

Thats the best mindset to have.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i always believed that too but Id like to see a study on that

its anecdotal but in the area around my parents home town in northern italy they have "festa di birra's" (beer fests) every weekend ... the access to alcohol is very liberal and there is no underaged drinking stigma but the culture of teenagers and 20 somethings is pretty much standard across alot if not all western cultures, imo

the kids really let it go ... lots of sloppy smashed messes ... also horrific drinking and driving problem ...id venture an educated guess and say its worse than here in north america

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Trade off is 0.9%, etc, availability.

Check the difference on 20k at 0.9% 48 mo vs 8.9% 48 mo sometime.

That said, the best way to offset the cost and depreciation is to not keep trading in cars every 3 damn years like people do, now THAT a stupid financial decision.

And to me, its transportation, not a "statement" of any kind.
I'm due for a new car this year.
Can I afford a Lexus, mercedes, etc? Yes.
Will I pay that for a CAR? Oh hell no. Most likely get a '12 CRV when the '13s come out. But ONLY if they have 0.9% available.
Hell, I WANT the Pilot, but cant justify the cost increase or gas mileage decrease in any way.

Bought my loaded 2002 Taurus brand new off the shwroom floor in Sept '01. So will be in year 12 next month. THATs how you beat the depreciation issue.

I have a 2003 CRV. I got it in late 02 and I still like it and it still drives well. I liked the car but the only reason I got a small SUV is was because I was driving a lot on 95 each day and saw a ton of accidents and liked how I was a bit higher up in the CRV than my previous car.

I do not drive as much now, and my wife has an Element, so I would go smaller and more economical now. I have relatively low mileage and the resale value on the CRV is very high so I debate between running it until it dies or trading it in while I could still get a good return on it. So far I havent felt like a car payment so I have kept it.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
i always believed that too but Id like to see a study on that

its anecdotal but in the area around my parents home town in northern italy they have "festa di birra's" (beer fests) every weekend ... the access to alcohol is very liberal and there is no underaged drinking stigma but the culture of teenagers and 20 somethings is pretty much standard across alot if not all western cultures, imo

the kids really let it go ... lots of sloppy smashed messes ... also horrific drinking and driving problem ...id venture an educated guess and say its worse than here in north america

exhibit 2: every British person on holidays ever.