• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: AAA bent my car door

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bought my loaded 2002 Taurus brand new off the shwroom floor in Sept '01. So will be in year 12 next month. THATs how you beat the depreciation issue.
I haven't had a car payment since 1996. I bought my Celica in 1991 with a 5-year loan and after it was paid off, I kept paying that car payment amount to myself while I kept it until 2003. Paid cash ever since. Kept my 2003 Saturn Ion CVT until 2009, and I would have kept it longer if it hadn't had chronic starter problems (had the starter and ignition column replaced 3 times under warranty, and once the warranty expired I lived with the problem until I just couldn't take it anymore. Currently driving my 2009 Nissan Cube CVT and will probably keep it until it dies too.

My wife bought a 2002 Elantra GT which she still owns and it still drives well. We'll probably trade it in soon for another Hyundai, a Veloster or another Elantra GT.

Attachments

• Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 37
Last edited by a moderator:

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

:happy:

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a 2003 CRV. I got it in late 02 and I still like it and it still drives well. I liked the car but the only reason I got a small SUV is was because I was driving a lot on 95 each day and saw a ton of accidents and liked how I was a bit higher up in the CRV than my previous car.

I do not drive as much now, and my wife has an Element, so I would go smaller and more economical now. I have relatively low mileage and the resale value on the CRV is very high so I debate between running it until it dies or trading it in while I could still get a good return on it. So far I havent felt like a car payment so I have kept it.

we have a 2004 crv that my wife drives and the reason why she wants a new Highlander (well ... new anything really) is that the a/c compressor blew on it and i refuse to get it fixed ... does that vintage crv really hold its value well anymore ? because im not alone with regards to the ac compressor problem

/you go on crv forums and you see a lot of people talking about the a/c compressor going on them just as they pass the extended warranty period

Last edited by a moderator:

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we have a 2004 crv that my wife drives and the reason why she wants a new Highlander (well ... new anything really) is that the a/c compressor blew on it and i refuse to get it fixed ... does that vintage crv really hold its value well anymore ? because im not alone with regards to the ac compressor problem

/you go on crv forums and you see a lot of people talking about the a/c compressor going on them just as they pass the extended warranty period

A few years ago my Mazda had problems with the catalytic converter and I failed an emissions test and had to get it replaced.

Looked at my records to see what kind of warranty I had on it. The warranty was something like 10 years/100,000 on the catalytic converter. At that point, I had the car for 10 years and 1 month and the odometer was at 101,500 miles. D'oh!!!

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You are not alone. I had that happen too. When it happened to me I looked into it and found out the same thing - all kinds of people had that problem. I had it fixed and did not have to pay anything. I do not remember whether it was under warranty still or if the dealership acknowledged the problem and fixed it.

Mine is 10 years old and because of the low mileage the dealership told me they would give me a trade in of over $9500 for it. I think that is good for a 10 year old car. I didn't ask for a trade in amount, they just told me after I had it serviced. I also do not know if I went in to do it if they would suddenly find something wrong and make a lower offer.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are not alone. I had that happen too. When it happened to me I looked into it and found out the same thing - all kinds of people had that problem. I had it fixed and did not have to pay anything. I do not remember whether it was under warranty still or if the dealership acknowledged the problem and fixed it.

Mine is 10 years old and because of the low mileage the dealership told me they would give me a trade in of over $9500 for it. I think that is good for a 10 year old car. I didn't ask for a trade in amount, they just told me after I had it serviced. I also do not know if I went in to do it if they would suddenly find something wrong and make a lower offer.

wow ... i wish the Honda dealership/service place i dealt with was as reasonable ... its a $2000 fix otherwise

the way it happened was pretty good though ... driving to the okanagan and a douchebag was tailgating me in the slow lane ... crv was loaded with people so we were stuggling going up a big mountain and we hear this *spoosh* sound ... "what was that" we say to each other ... and i look in my rear view mirror and the tailgater has totally backed our ass and has his wipers going fulltilt

/fluid explosion lol

//it became less funny when i learned the pricetag of the fix and we had to drive around the BC interior with no ac at the hottest time of the year

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wow ... i wish the Honda dealership/service place i dealt with was as reasonable ... its a $2000 fix otherwise

the way it happened was pretty good though ... driving to the okanagan and a douchebag was tailgating me in the slow lane ... crv was loaded with people so we were stuggling going up a big mountain and we hear this *spoosh* sound ... "what was that" we say to each other ... and i look in my rear view mirror and the tailgater has totally backed our ass and has his wipers going fulltilt

/fluid explosion lol

//it became less funny when i learned the pricetag of the fix and we had to drive around the BC interior with no ac at the hottest time of the year

Oh I would be driving something different if I would have had to pay for the fix. The car was at least 6 or 7 years old and it was paid for. There was no way I would have put that much money into it.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same can be said for drinking alcohol. Our puritan limits put on drinking age tends to create binge drinkers at the HS and college level. In europe, there is less limits on drinking and more people grow up being responsible drinkers, as there is no pent up novelty to wear off.

I tend to agree with you. Seems logical, but no real studies, and how would you study it anyway...

I'd probably bore people and be laughed at for my safe driving. About 75 to 80 max for me, and that's if I am in the middle of no where. And I know how to use turn signals! But again, driving and cars are just transportation to me, I don't think its cool or fun or anything.

SO YOU'RE THE ONE?!?!?! In Baltimore, turn signals are a sign of weakness!

So, about a car for my youngin'... I have a mechanic here that I really like and trust, who also sells some cars on his lot. I took my car in for maintenance and was asking him where I could find a decent car for my daughter, and was preparing to offer him a lump sum to find me a car at auction and make it road worthy. I give him a flat amount and he figures out how to make his profit on it.

He said "come out back with me". He walked me around to a 2001 VW Jetta that he just had a girl out of college trade in on a used BMW (apparently, she got a job). 140K miles, he's done the service on it for the last 6 years and the person rarely drove it anyway. He said "It doesn't look like much, paint's all scratched up and chipping in some places, but we'll clean it up as best we can and leave you enough in your pocket to get it painted."

Selling it to me for an even 3 grand.

Easiest. Buying. Ever. Seriously, I can put it on a credit card when I pick up my car tonight. Need to ask him if he can find a Honda Pilot / Mazda CX-9 / Audi Q7 like the missus wants...

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I would be driving something different if I would have had to pay for the fix. The car was at least 6 or 7 years old and it was paid for. There was no way I would have put that much money into it.

yah theres no way im repairing it for that much money ... which is why we are looking to get something new and also why i am driving the crv today in 90 degree F temps while my wife has my 08 accord :L

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I take it it's a minivan then and not a "That dude's probably got a half dozen abducted children in the back" van?

Pix's van:

free-candy-van.jpg

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tend to agree with you. Seems logical, but no real studies, and how would you study it anyway...

SO YOU'RE THE ONE?!?!?! In Baltimore, turn signals are a sign of weakness!

So, about a car for my youngin'... I have a mechanic here that I really like and trust, who also sells some cars on his lot. I took my car in for maintenance and was asking him where I could find a decent car for my daughter, and was preparing to offer him a lump sum to find me a car at auction and make it road worthy. I give him a flat amount and he figures out how to make his profit on it.

He said "come out back with me". He walked me around to a 2001 VW Jetta that he just had a girl out of college trade in on a used BMW (apparently, she got a job). 140K miles, he's done the service on it for the last 6 years and the person rarely drove it anyway. He said "It doesn't look like much, paint's all scratched up and chipping in some places, but we'll clean it up as best we can and leave you enough in your pocket to get it painted."

Selling it to me for an even 3 grand.

Easiest. Buying. Ever. Seriously, I can put it on a credit card when I pick up my car tonight. Need to ask him if he can find a Honda Pilot / Mazda CX-9 / Audi Q7 like the missus wants...

Dammit. He got it up on the lift and gave it a good once over and found that the Transmission is pretty well shot. He said he would not sell it to me now.

Back to square one.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dammit. He got it up on the lift and gave it a good once over and found that the Transmission is pretty well shot. He said he would not sell it to me now.

Back to square one.

That sucks but the good news is you found a good honest mechanic.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't had a car payment since 1996. I bought my Celica in 1991 with a 5-year loan and after it was paid off, I kept paying that car payment amount to myself while I kept it until 2003. Paid cash ever since. Kept my 2003 Saturn Ion CVT until 2009, and I would have kept it longer if it hadn't had chronic starter problems (had the starter and ignition column replaced 3 times under warranty, and once the warranty expired I lived with the problem until I just couldn't take it anymore. Currently driving my 2009 Nissan Cube CVT and will probably keep it until it dies too.

My wife bought a 2002 Elantra GT which she still owns and it still drives well. We'll probably trade it in soon for another Hyundai, a Veloster or another Elantra GT.

I learned this in my personal finance class and thought it was ingenious. DEFINITELY going to do that. Says just to put it into a long term high interest account if possible. Just a great thought.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also: my cut off is about 85mph. My car really handles well though. But around 85 it starts to feel a slight bit shaky. My motto though: "As long as someone is going faster."

Bizzle McDizzle

all of your teams suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
in NC
3 Points - Speeding in excess of 55 miles per hour

2 Points
Failure to properly restrain a child in a restraint or seat belt

So to the NCHP and insurance board, speeding over 55MPH is more frowned upon that tying to kill your children

Bizzle McDizzle

all of your teams suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is the big one though

A North Carolina speeding ticket in excess of 15mph over the speed limit will result in suspension of your ability to drive in North Carolina.

so if it's a 65, and they clock you at 81, you're done. In fact, they can actually take your license on the spot.
Booom. Done. See ya in court. Walk to work mf'er.

Hence, 80 is generally my cut off, mostly for that reason. I can't afford the legal, insurance and financial headaches associated with getting somewhere 3 minutes faster.

And how many times do you do 60 in a 45, or 45 in a 30 without thinking too much about it... they probably snag more peeps for that than on the highways.