• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: OT: 2016 Summer Olympics

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bold is simply not true. We have an overwhelming talent/athleticism advantage despite missing top players and we are struggling. We could have sacrificed on the talent side and gotten players that played a role, could defend a pick and role, not get back cut, and are used to playing without the ball in their hands and we would still have a talent advantage.

These other countries are showing that talent is beatable. Playing as a team, fundamentals, skills, and determination despite a major talent gap has kept these teams in games. They're getting easy buckets on back cuts, pick and rolls, etc. and they're playing good team defense and America is just relying on talent and athleticism.

I am impressed with our assist:fgm ratio the last couple of games though.

He was talking about using college kids.

I agree we don't need A list, or even C list players as long as the pieces fit better, but college kids against their pros is never going to cut it.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand why any american amateur boxer would bother with the olympics. With the way the judging is an opponent would have to be declared dead before they'd give someone from the U.S. a decision. It's worse than wrestling was (probably still is) with the russians bribing opponents to tank matches.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bold is simply not true. We have an overwhelming talent/athleticism advantage despite missing top players and we are struggling.

The bold was exactly true and this part of your post shows it. These are NBA players, the best in the entire world and they are struggling.

The best college basketball talent goes to the NBA after 1 or 2 years. So, you either end up with a bunch of 20-22 year olds who aren't good enough to play in the NBA (thus losing much of the talent advantage) who have been playing together for a few months, against a bunch of 30 year old (some of whom are in the NBA) that have been playing together for years.

Or

You have a bunch of 18 and 19 year olds (but a more talented group) who have been playing together for a few months, going against a bunch of 30 year olds who have been playing together for years and several of whom play in the NBA.

Either way, they get blown out.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
High drama in women's vball between China and Brazil. First to 15 win in the 5th and deciding set.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bold was exactly true and this part of your post shows it. These are NBA players, the best in the entire world and they are struggling.

The best college basketball talent goes to the NBA after 1 or 2 years. So, you either end up with a bunch of 20-22 year olds who aren't good enough to play in the NBA (thus losing much of the talent advantage) who have been playing together for a few months, against a bunch of 30 year old (some of whom are in the NBA) that have been playing together for years.

Or

You have a bunch of 18 and 19 year olds (but a more talented group) who have been playing together for a few months, going against a bunch of 30 year olds who have been playing together for years and several of whom play in the NBA.

Either way, they get blown out.

College kids isn't the answer. But, getting less talented players that can fill their role is the answer. The US can't complain or excuse close games due to the lack of Lebron, CP3, and Steph Curry. They still have an unbelievable talent advantage. College kids isn't the answer, but more role players, team players, and playing as a unit as the answer.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the main thing is the disparity in how much time these teams play with eachother compared to the US team.

I think the talents fine- but many of these other National teams play together a lot more.

I dont see a problem with the roster overall - im sure it could be tweaked- but getting the guys on the court more in game situations I think would be the best thing to improve the team- ---- but thats just not realistic.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Special summer: USA's Irving could win NBA title, Rio gold

rving returned from the injury and, along with LeBron James, led the Cavs to a historic comeback championship — Cleveland's first since 1964 — this season. And as if lifted from a Hollywood screen play, Irving's game-winning 3-pointer in Game 7 came from just a few feet from where his knee buckled the previous June.

Just 24 and maybe only beginning to tap into his potential as a player, Irving is now on the verge of pulling off a rare doubleheader — an NBA and Olympic title in the same year.

"It would be great," he said Tuesday following practice. "I just want to get it done."

His teammates have Irving's back as well.

Stars in their own right, they've watched him mature during his short stint on the national team. They also appreciate the work and sacrifice that went into his recovery.

"That just shows how relentless he is," U.S. center DeAndre Jordan said. "He's a warrior. I have so much respect for Kyrie. A lot of guys could feel sorry for themselves, but that wasn't him. He came back with a vengeance, had a hell of a season, led his team to an NBA Finals and ultimately to a championship.

"I have a lot of respect for that guy as a leader."

While the past year has been richly rewarding and satisfying for Irving, there's unfinished business.

"I'm glad, but it's not over yet," he said. "I still have one more thing to do and that's get a gold medal with this great team."

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
College kids isn't the answer. But, getting less talented players that can fill their role is the answer. The US can't complain or excuse close games due to the lack of Lebron, CP3, and Steph Curry. They still have an unbelievable talent advantage. College kids isn't the answer, but more role players, team players, and playing as a unit as the answer.

That's what I've been saying. They need role players. Everyone can't be the star.

The reason guys like Lebron or especially CP3 would be great additions to the team is because they would make sure the ball moves and generate flow on offense. The problem Team USA has is that everyone is playing iso ball which is easy to defend.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,296.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Shit you say when you ain't won shit. :lol:

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash