• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT - 2016 Brazil Olympic thread

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was just an amazing race. I thought the dream was done at the 50m mark, but that Penny can f'ing close a race. Then I was totally confused because it said 1 for her but OR for the American... Strange that it would display a tie like that.

I only tuned into the Phelps race post-start, so was totally fooled by Friedman... Lol that's tough to live down.

At half it looked like Simone wasn't going to medal either, but her and Penny both turned on the jets. How Campbell went from a full body length ahead to finishing fifth in one pool length is beyond me.

Don't get me wrong, I am happy she did. But I did not see that coming.

There's a reason Friedman isn't a PBP guy. Not sure why he's calling anything in the Olympics to begin with (extra money?) but a screw up was inevitable.

I think it's just a construct of having a ton of events and needing people to cover them so they can be broadcast online live. NBC had Leigh Diffey (Indy Car and F1 announcer - great at that) calling the rowing events. Would love to hear that meeting.

"Need someone to do rowing"
"Boats are vehicles, right? Get that car guy in here! He's doing rowing! Plus he has an English accents. Those English fucks love rowing!"

He was not terribly good at that. Couldn't get the countries right, had a hard time with the lingo.

Kathryn Tappan was going some other event too. Can't remember which.

By the by, who watched Brazil/USA Mens Volleyball? That was one of the most epic matches I have ever seen. Not even for a medal, and I am not sure there will be a better one.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's just a construct of having a ton of events and needing people to cover them so they can be broadcast online live. NBC had Leigh Diffey (Indy Car and F1 announcer - great at that) calling the rowing events.

or lucky pierre doing colo(u)r for water polo on nbc

dash had pointed out before the olympics started that Friedman was stepping in last second for veteran announcer Steve Armitage ... not something he's probably used to doing ... if Armitage was at Rio, Elliotte would probably have been doing David Ambers role of post race interviewer of the competitors

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dash had pointed out before the olympics started that Friedman was stepping in last second for veteran announcer Steve Armitage ... not something he's probably used to doing ... if Armitage was at Rio, Elliotte would probably have been doing David Ambers role of post race interviewer of the competitors

Exactly and that's why I think we need to cut some slack for Elliotte - I think he's doing a pretty good job for somebody getting the gig at pretty much the last minute.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly and that's why I think we need to cut some slack for Elliotte - I think he's doing a pretty good job for somebody getting the gig at pretty much the last minute.

yah i was hard on him initially ... he did afterall butcher a couple of pretty historic swimming events ... i felt more sorry for him when i saw local chumps from Seattles Fox affiliate roasting him though ... they couldnt hold his jockstrap

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and i will repeat ... great recovery by cbc lol

theyve edited out the audio of Eliotte calling Oleksiak Emily Overholt down the stretch of that race ... its funny listening/re-watching though ... such a momentous moment and theres no commentary until they touch the wall lol

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My hope is that Elliotte gets one more chance to make a great call at the pool in a race featuring Penny Oleksiak.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Now how in the fuck does he know where each player played their Squirt AA water polo and what their coach said about them?

So there's a thing going around facebook about how if Maryland were a country, they'd be in second place in gold medals.

While technically true, if one particular house in Towson was a country, they'd be third. Simmer down.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if canadian women were their own country they would be 20th in the medal standings

/ wait ... :pout:

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jesus ... they didnt even want him to fight the Israeli :L

El Shahaby had come under pressure from Islamist-leaning and nationalist voices in Egypt to withdraw entirely from the fight.

On Thursday, Mataz Matar, a TV host in Al-Sharq Islamist-leaning network urged el-Shehaby to withdraw.

"My son watch out, don't be fooled, or fool yourself thinking you will play with the Israeli athlete to defeat him and make Egypt happy," he said, adding "Egypt will cry; Egypt will be sad and you will be seen as a traitor and a normalizer in the eyes of your people."

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good stuff...

L1lPndK.jpg

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Track and field events have started - Thiesen-Eaton of Canada a real chance for a medal in the women's heptathlon.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Graham DeLaet hanging in there, dropped a couple of shots early, but back to even par for the day. Marcus Fraser is at -10, the Aussie is on fire.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
time for dad to go shock it lol