• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT - 2016 Brazil Olympic thread

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
icymi, after Penny won the bronze, the cbc swimming coverage guy opposite Friedmann spoke into a hot mic. I heard it happenning but was too far away from the tv to hear what he said ... they just talked about it on the radio and cbc was forced to apologize for it ... it was regarding the 14 year old swimmer the chinese had in that relay

he (byron macdonald) said ... "she went out like stink ..." at which point I thought in my head upon hearing this and then thinking of the words that rhyme with stink ... OH NOOOOO ...

"... and died like a pig"

COULD HAVE BEEN MUCH WORSE!!!

I saw/heard some say the comment had racial overtones ... :noidea: i dont get this ? .. its harsh about a 14 year old but i dont know if its mean spirited

like i said above ... i was expecting much worse ... when i heard he made a comment that the cbc had to apologize for

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw/heard some say the comment had racial overtones ... :noidea: i dont get this ? .. its harsh about a 14 year old but i dont know if its mean spirited

Agreed, nothing racist in those comments - If he would have said, "she went out too fast and now she's gassed", does he still have to apologize?!? It's the CBC though, they will air on the side of caution.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, nothing racist in those comments - If he would have said, "she went out too fast and now she's gassed", does he still have to apologize?!? It's the CBC though, they will air on the side of caution.

Yeah, I think the apology is for colorful language, and for maybe being a bit mean-spirited. But unless "out like stink" or "dies like a pig" have specific racial connotations, I don't see how it's racist. I asked some work colleagues, "If you heard these phrases, what nationality do you think the speaker was referring to" and they had nothing. Unless the relay team consisted of cops, the phrases used are not degrading.

Flip side, would he have said the same thing about a Swedish or US team? Based on following swimming for a long time and listening to this commentator in particular, I'd say yes. He's pretty harsh when athletes underperform, regardless of nationality.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I think the apology is for colorful language, and for maybe being a bit mean-spirited. But unless "out like stink" or "dies like a pig" have specific racial connotations, I don't see how it's racist. I asked some work colleagues, "If you heard these phrases, what nationality do you think the speaker was referring to" and they had nothing. Unless the relay team consisted of cops, the phrases used are not degrading.

Flip side, would he have said the same thing about a Swedish or US team? Based on following swimming for a long time and listening to this commentator in particular, I'd say yes. He's pretty harsh when athletes underperform, regardless of nationality.
Everything is racist. Pig lives matter!

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im sorry you feel shocked about the whole deal

:canada:
raw

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ILL ALWAYS CHEER FOR AN ITALIAN WITH A SILENT G IN HIS NAME!!!

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Murray and Fognini back on serve in the 3rd and deciding set. At one point, Murray had lost 8 straight games in the match and was in meltdown mode.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Murray and Fognini back on serve in the 3rd and deciding set. At one point, Murray had lost 8 straight games in the match and was in meltdown mode.

disappoignting

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pospisil/Nestor drop the first set to Nadal/Lopez in a tie-breaker where PopNest won only one point. Okay boys, get 'em in set 2.