• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Options Options Options

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One week from tonite, diehards!!!

So it's pretty much been down to what Poles will do at #9, being Williams with the first pick is a foregone conclusion. And with that it's also pretty much down to 3 key positions: OT, WR, and DE/Edge. Guess in we can throw in a 3.5 by adding DT. Don't think it's likely, especially if we use the 9th, but we can't rule it out completely. The 4th option, which in and of itself opens a whole boatload of possibilities is if Poles trades back or even trades up. So for the next few posts, I thought it best to list the key positions and the candidates relative to each, and list the pros & cons of why we should/shouldn't take one.

First up: WR

Top candidates: Rome Udunze, Malik Nabers, Marvin Harrison, Jr
Honorable mention: Brian Thomas, Jr, Brock Bowers (TE)
Pro: After Moore & Allen, we are paper thin at the WR spot, not to mention that Allen is 32 and at this point, still a rental. So there's a definitive need for adding to our corps. Plus these three are clearly tops of the food chain at this position. Any of them would be #1 in most drafts.
Con: This is the deepest WR draft in NFL history. There will be some quality receivers still on the board on day 2, even day 3. Why use the pick here when there are other needs and where the draft isn't as deep in respective talents.
Note: MHJ is only on this list if Poles trade up, no way will he be there at 9. Yes, Bowers is a TE, which is not really a need, but he plays more like a WR and there's no denying his talents.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next up: OT

Top candidates: Joe Alt, Olu Fashanu, JC Latham
Honorable mention: Graham Barton
Pro: Can a team's OL ever be strong enough? While there is no gaping hole, getting a top rated tackle would only bolster an improving OL
Con: LT seems to be the key need, but is it really? PFF has current LT Braxton Jones ranked 7th in pass protection. And Poles has added more OL depth than any other unit this offseason.
Note: Alt is highly doubtful to be there at 9. The only other true LT is Fashanu. Barton is an OT, but is expected to play as a center in the NFL. Latham is a RT, but wants to switch to the left side in the NFL. And the man is the size of a small mountain.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One week from tonite, diehards!!!

So it's pretty much been down to what Poles will do at #9, being Williams with the first pick is a foregone conclusion. And with that it's also pretty much down to 3 key positions: OT, WR, and DE/Edge. Guess in we can throw in a 3.5 by adding DT. Don't think it's likely, especially if we use the 9th, but we can't rule it out completely. The 4th option, which in and of itself opens a whole boatload of possibilities is if Poles trades back or even trades up. So for the next few posts, I thought it best to list the key positions and the candidates relative to each, and list the pros & cons of why we should/shouldn't take one.

First up: WR

Top candidates: Rome Udunze, Malik Nabers, Marvin Harrison, Jr
Honorable mention: Brian Thomas, Jr, Brock Bowers (TE)
Pro: After Moore & Allen, we are paper thin at the WR spot, not to mention that Allen is 32 and at this point, still a rental. So there's a definitive need for adding to our corps. Plus these three are clearly tops of the food chain at this position. Any of them would be #1 in most drafts.
Con: This is the deepest WR draft in NFL history. There will be some quality receivers still on the board on day 2, even day 3. Why use the pick here when there are other needs and where the draft isn't as deep in respective talents.
Note: MHJ is only on this list if Poles trade up, no way will he be there at 9. Yes, Bowers is a TE, which is not really a need, but he plays more like a WR and there's no denying his talents.

Great post LSD......Cant wait for next Thursday night.......

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3rd up: DE/Edge

Top candidates: Dallas Turner, Jared Verse, Laitu Latu
Honorable mention: Chop Robinson, Byron Murphy II (DT)
Pro: Our single biggest need by position, Montez Sweat needs a bookend to help take the double team pressure off him. It's the closest to our only glaring need on the starting 22.
Con: Demarcus Walker is far from great, but he's dependable and strong against the run. The bigger argument against taking one is next year's draft will be loaded with 1st round quality DE/Edge players, so why not just sign a vet to a one year contract and wait for the '25 draft.
Note: If DT is deemed more important, then Murphy seems to be the going choice. Latu of late has been climbing the boards and might be Poles #1 option at this position.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last up: Trading the pick

This option doesn't really call for top candidates or honorable mentions, altho we can always plug in names here. The big question is if Poles does seek a trade, will it be back or will he move up? I can't rule other names out completely, but the only one I see where Poles would sacrifice what little draft capital he has left this year - or perhaps dipping into next year's batch - is for MHJ. Honestly, I don't see this happening, but then you never know in this wacky league.

The more likely option is Poles trading back. But here lies other questions within. How far is he willing to move down the line....mid teens, mid 20's, late 20's? And what would be the return on these? Would any such trade be worth giving up potential blue chip talent? It's too tough for this fried out brain to figure what route Poles takes if he decides to trade back.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much better than Fields does Lil Willy have to be to be a success in your eyes?

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much better than Fields does Lil Willy have to be to be a success in your eyes?
I'm assuming you're talking about Williams. Sad to say, it won't take much in the passing dept for him to be a success relative to Fields. In his three years with the Bears, Justin averaged per season only 2200+ yards, 13 TDs and 10 INTs. Obviously those bad numbers aren't all on him. And there's no way Williams will match Fields' running game, so he'll need to throw a lot better to be the overall better QB. But I think he will, in fact I can see him throwing for 3600+ yards, and with a little luck maybe even crack the 4k mark.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pro: Our single biggest need by position,

Latu of late has been climbing the boards and might be Poles #1 option at this position.
ProFootball Focus (PFF) scores this kid Latu at 96.3 which is better than any other position or prospect. Granted, their grading is based on 2023 stats. But he did visit Halas Hall a couple weeks ago.

I still feel the Bears trade the #9 pick. But this kid would fill a need in a class with few D-line standouts. Here's the PFF info if youre into those type of grading systems:

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Put me down that the Bears aren't trading down from 9.

If they do, it'll be 1-2 spots at most. Poles is on record about how he grades out players and how he has a handful or so of "Blue" players (meaning guys he grades out very high) that he thinks will be available at 9. If one of those guys is there and there is no guarantee another will be available if they trade down, he's just gonna take that guy.

My guess is Alt (by some miracle of him falling) Odunze or Nabers will be a Chicago Bear....picked at the 9 spot. Most likely Odunze if you believe mock drafts are in the ballpark of reality.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they do, it'll be 1-2 spots at most.
Vikings, Broncos, Raiders and Seahawks all NEED a QB and draft 11, 12, 13 & 16. Would not rule any of them out trying to leapfrog the other. Sean Payton has gone on record that there is a possibility they trade up.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...and 3 QB will be off the board after the Bears, Commanders and Patriots draft theirs.

It'll be a GM feeding frenzy to get the QB4 or QB5.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...and 3 QB will be off the board after the Bears, Commanders and Patriots draft theirs.

It'll be a GM feeding frenzy to get the QB4 or QB5.

We'll see. I figure whatever QB stuff going on will be done by our pick and we just pick our guy.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll see. I figure whatever QB stuff going on will be done by our pick and we just pick our guy.
Or pray one is still there at 9 and 2 teams willing to fight for that pick!

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you hear that the "Kirk Cousin Atlanta" tampering investigation may result that Atlanta may have to forfeit their first round pick.

Atlanta picks 8.

So the Bears by default may move up a spot.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you hear that the "Kirk Cousin Atlanta" tampering investigation may result that Atlanta may have to forfeit their first round pick.

Atlanta picks 8.

Yes, I've heard this very thing months back. The drafting world is waiting on a final NFL ruling on the subject, obviously soon.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Atlanta picks 8.

Yes, I've heard this very thing months back. The drafting world is waiting on a final NFL ruling on the subject, obviously soon.
The latest rumor, which I think is just that, a rumor, it's the Falcons won't have to forfeit the pick altogether, but instead swap spots with Minny. That would still be advantageous for the Bears, as the Vikes aren't in the hunt for a WR. And of course that's assuming they'd keep the pick.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And speaking of rumors, the one growing the loudest of late is if the Bears keep the 9th instead of trading back, it's going to be used on Byron Murphy II. Again, just rumors, but they keep on keepin' on.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The latest rumor, which I think is just that, a rumor, it's the Falcons won't have to forfeit the pick altogether, but instead swap spots with Minny. That would still be advantageous for the Bears, as the Vikes aren't in the hunt for a WR. And of course that's assuming they'd keep the pick.
Here's one that's a lot more strict against the Falcons:

While it's unlikely the league would strip Atlanta of its first-round pick, the NFL could bump the Falcons down from No. 8 to No. 32. That would effectively give the Falcons a 21-pick penalty for tampering with a top-tier quarterback, or at least doing a poor job of concealing their tampering, to hinder teams from doing it in the future.

This harsher penalty would result in the Bears having the 8th pick, which in turn all but guarantees one of Odunze/Nabers/Alt/Turner being there for the taking. While I think this is even less likely, I would of course love it!