• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Options Options Options

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys, be prepared for the trade down from #9. Poles needs picks and the only way to acquire them, and given the fact he needs a second round pick, expect a deeper trade down to the 20's to acquire a 2nd rounder plus the first round 20ish pick.

Especially given the deep WR draft class, the fact the Bears will probably need to pick a center in the second round if they want a legit one...
How would you suggest I prepare for a trade down? I know that’s an option, but I also know we can get a blue chip prospect at one of our three weakest positions at 9. I’m not so sure they can do that if they trade down.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys, be prepared for the trade down from #9. Poles needs picks and the only way to acquire them, and given the fact he needs a second round pick, expect a deeper trade down to the 20's to acquire a 2nd rounder plus the first round 20ish pick.

Especially given the deep WR draft class, the fact the Bears will probably need to pick a center in the second round if they want a legit one...
Why does Poles NEED a 2nd round pick? Lol trade down because we MUST draft WR NO MATTER WHAT. IT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT POSITION IN TEAM HISTORY.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How would you suggest I prepare for a trade down? I know that’s an option, but I also know we can get a blue chip prospect at one of our three weakest positions at 9. I’m not so sure they can do that if they trade down.
Hard to quantify how many would be considered blue chippers, but for the sake of argument, let's cut off the count at ten blue chippers. By that meansurement then yes, we'd potentially be surrendering top rated talent. But one factor that skews the blue chip count and it's the agreed consensus by vitually all sports sites that this year's draft carries a greater than usual amount of highly rated talent beyond just the top 10. I'd go as far as sayng there is a potential batch of 20 blue chip prospects. This is why I personally have no problems if Poles trades back, even if someone I'd love to have on the roster is still there at 9.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to quantify how many would be considered blue chippers, but for the sake of argument, let's cut off the count at ten blue chippers. By that meansurement then yes, we'd potentially be surrendering top rated talent. But one factor that skews the blue chip count and it's the agreed consensus by vitually all sports sites that this year's draft carries a greater than usual amount of highly rated talent beyond just the top 10. I'd go as far as sayng there is a potential batch of 20 blue chip prospects. This is why I personally have no problems if Poles trades back, even if someone I'd love to have on the roster is still there at 9.
I’m not against it. In fact, I will trust poles with how he approaches this draft, just due to his drafting performance so far.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are gonna have 2 no.2s next season,one being Carolinas from last years trad( :dhd: ) ,I wonder if theres a scenario Poles could lure that 2nd pick into this years draft somehow......maybe a 3rd and 5th......?? 3rd and a 4??

Last edited:

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why does Poles NEED a 2nd round pick? Lol trade down because we MUST draft WR NO MATTER WHAT. IT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT POSITION IN TEAM HISTORY.
seriously, after all the belly aching you've done over the QB position, you're going with WR being THE MOST IMPORTANT POSITION? You know what, I agree with you. Go WR with the Number 1 overall pick and run with Bagent as the starting QB next year.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I do not disagree with the idea of one of the top 3 WR being available at 9, there is also the possibility with the deep WR class, you still pick up a starting caliber Wr later in the first and still allow for the pickup of a 3tech or DE or C in the second that could also be of starting caliber ability. Why fill 1 position of need when you could fill 2?

This team is not 1 blue chip away from having it all. Poles has shown the desire to move down in drafts to pick up more players. I don't think that is a fluke or a 1 time deal. I fully expect, as we should all, him moving down, not out of the first, but in doing so, adding more picks. Would not surprise me if he even move down further in the 1st with a second trade down to acquire another 2nd round pick in the deal. Go deep 1st with 2 second round picks. >shrugs<

I admit I could be way off base, but it would not surprise me and shouldn't anyone else.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I do not disagree with the idea of one of the top 3 WR being available at 9, there is also the possibility with the deep WR class, you still pick up a starting caliber Wr later in the first and still allow for the pickup of a 3tech or DE or C in the second that could also be of starting caliber ability. Why fill 1 position of need when you could fill 2?

This team is not 1 blue chip away from having it all. Poles has shown the desire to move down in drafts to pick up more players. I don't think that is a fluke or a 1 time deal. I fully expect, as we should all, him moving down, not out of the first, but in doing so, adding more picks. Would not surprise me if he even move down further in the 1st with a second trade down to acquire another 2nd round pick in the deal. Go deep 1st with 2 second round picks. >shrugs<

I admit I could be way off base, but it would not surprise me and shouldn't anyone else.
This draft is about as deep in WRs as any draft I can ever recall. If by trading Allen, the position no longer merits a 1st round pick, we can be certain that a quality talent will be there even into the 3rd and 4th rounds, altho granted the creme de la creme will be long gone by then. And back to Allen and whether or not the position still needs to be addressed, especially when we can use another DE/Edge or even bolster our OL, until Allen is extended and that's not a guarantee, we're still sorely lacking in depth at this spot. If it turns out that he becomes a glorified rental, then we're in essence back to square onein '25, with just Moore as our only dependable wideout. This is why I personally haven't ruled out Odunze or Nabers if either is still on the board at 9.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Dallas Turner, DE/Edge - Need a fast, relentless partner to chase the QB opposite Montez. This would be an ideal match.
2. Rome Odunze, WR - Since the Allen signing, the need is not quite as urgent, but think about a three headed receiving monster for Caleb!
3. Malik Nabers, WR - Really more like 2a than #3. It's the old same difference here. Either one vastly improves our WR corps.
4. Joe Alt, OT - Surprise!!! Thought we had no chance of him making it to 9, but some recent mocks suggest he could be there for the taking.

I've removed the bold from the two WRs for a reason. I've been reading here and there that we might see an early run on QBs and WRs when the draft opens up - ie, 4 QBs and 3 WRs, including the two above, all taken in the first 7 picks. This would mean that no matter what, either Turner or Alt would still be on the board, with a slight possibility of both of them still hanging around. All this is obviously contingent on the scenario I've posed. Hey, stranger things have happened.

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This draft is about as deep in WRs as any draft I can ever recall. If by trading Allen, the position no longer merits a 1st round pick, we can be certain that a quality talent will be there even into the 3rd and 4th rounds, altho granted the creme de la creme will be long gone by then. And back to Allen and whether or not the position still needs to be addressed, especially when we can use another DE/Edge or even bolster our OL, until Allen is extended and that's not a guarantee, we're still sorely lacking in depth at this spot. If it turns out that he becomes a glorified rental, then we're in essence back to square onein '25, with just Moore as our only dependable wideout. This is why I personally haven't ruled out Odunze or Nabers if either is still on the board at 9.
I get this, but I highly doubt we are paying both DJ and Allen 20+ million they will be looking to get. Allen is good, but not #1 receiver good, so if he happens to get 20, you know DJ is going to want more next year. We should be looking for someone to slide into that #1 role in 2 years, not draft a new #1.
I dont see the want to replace our tackles with the 9 pick, or trading up to get a tackle when we still only have part time centers on the roster. You trade down far enough to get a second to get your center. This is why trading the 1 makes more sense because you will get another first and a second at least.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get this, but I highly doubt we are paying both DJ and Allen 20+ million they will be looking to get. Allen is good, but not #1 receiver good, so if he happens to get 20, you know DJ is going to want more next year. We should be looking for someone to slide into that #1 role in 2 years, not draft a new #1.
I dont see the want to replace our tackles with the 9 pick, or trading up to get a tackle when we still only have part time centers on the roster. You trade down far enough to get a second to get your center. This is why trading the 1 makes more sense because you will get another first and a second at least.
I kinda think its smart to get a top wr......;

1.if Allen gets hurt,we are back to just Moore again.....not liking.
2.I know he just got here,but Allen could be just a 1 year rental.....
3. Said drafted wr will be on rookie contract for next 3 years and saves cash for DJ..
4.a rookie wr can grow with both CW and DJ giving some nice chemistry built.(CD Lamb I bet sure wiished he had a no.2,even a no.3)

That being said,no.9 wont be a wr now.......lol

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kinda think its smart to get a top wr......;

1.if Allen gets hurt,we are back to just Moore again.....not liking.
2.I know he just got here,but Allen could be just a 1 year rental.....
3. Said drafted wr will be on rookie contract for next 3 years and saves cash for DJ..
4.a rookie wr can grow with both CW and DJ giving some nice chemistry built.(CD Lamb I bet sure wiished he had a no.2,even a no.3)

That being said,no.9 wont be a wr now.......lol
Tending to agree, but in part because the possibility of trading back with a team who needs that 9th spot will probably be too great for Poles to pass up, and it would be hard to blame him for that, no matter who's still on the board at that time.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
highly doubt we are paying both DJ and Allen 20+ million
This is where i respect Poles.
He gets the cap structure.

Having a rookie QB (and even to satisfy those here who want a rookie WR), Poles has a 4-year window of a QB on a rookie salary which would support a few high-priced blue chip players.

And if he turns the Bears into winners and CW is the real deal, players wont want to leave. They will restructure to stay.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So here's a different take on how Poles could handle the 9th pick:

Of course it's assuming Alt will be available at 9. But it never dawned on me that if we did grab him or any other highly rated OT that Jones could become an immediate trade candidate. And again, the chances of landing one of Alt, Turner, Odunze/Nabers increase substantially if four QBs are taken within the first 8 picks. At the very least it could also improve an opportunity for a trade back. Here's to hoping either scenario will be the case.

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is where i respect Poles.
He gets the cap structure.

Having a rookie QB (and even to satisfy those here who want a rookie WR), Poles has a 4-year window of a QB on a rookie salary which would support a few high-priced blue chip players.

And if he turns the Bears into winners and CW is the real deal, players wont want to leave. They will restructure to stay.
rookie contract for the number 1 pick is still going to be close to 40 million for the 4 year deal. 25 is signing bonus, but still counts to the cap. All signs show to this Williams holding out somewhere over that span since he does not understand the contract structure and expects rules to get changed for him.
I guess it is technically a deal considering top QB's are getting 55 million per year now. So by the time he needs to get franchised, it should be 60 million.
This guy better win 2 superbowls in his first 4 years here for the trouble he is going to be.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This article pretty much sums up in this 9th pick all the crap I've been spewing over options option options:

WR/OT/Edge/Trade Back....a good read that covers all the bases relevant to this draft.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could Olu Fashanu be the tackle targeted by the Bears at #9?

For those who aren't signed up with the Sun-Times, here's to what I'm referring regarding the tackle spot as our option:

Notre Dame’s Joe Alt is considered the best prototypical left tackle in the draft; offensive line coach and run game coordinator Chris Morgan attended his pro day last week.

Penn State’s Olu Fashanu, who’s expected to go in the top half of the draft, would fit Williams even better — the two have been friends since playing football together at Gonzaga College High School in Washington, D.C.

Eberflus attended Oregon State tackle Taliese Fuaga’s pro day earlier this month. Fuaga profiles as a right tackle, though; drafting him would prompt the Bears to move standout Darnell Wright to the left side.

I only copied the last paragraph here because there's been a growing take that Fuaga might be the best all round tackle in the draft, but he's strictly on the right side, and we already have our guy at this spot. But could Poles, assuming he goes OL with the pick, take Fashanu over Alt if both are still there? Things that make you go hmm......

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's an intriguing scenario where the Bears trade back with the Saints:

So we give the Saints the 9th and 75th, they give us the 14th, 45th, and 168th. Fairly even with respect to the draft value chart, but I'd hope that Poles would hold out for a bit more, such as their 150 instead of 168, or add in one of their two 6th rounds. Intriguing if nothing else.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BearsWire lists 10 candidates for the Bears to take at #9, assuming Poles hangs onto the pick:

Love the RAS scores on these studs. Interestingly, the only two with less than a 9 RAS are Dallas Turner, the consensus #1 defensive player in the draft, and Brock Bowers, who apparently was never tested for this. And my guess is it doesn't matter because I don't see Poles taking him anyway. Rome Odunze and Joe Alt share the two highest scores at an amazing 9.92.

I'm sticking with Odunze/Nabers/Alt/Turner as the only names worthy of selecting at 9, the others should be available in the teens if Poles opts to trade down. If for instance all four are gone by the time we're on the clock, I'd hope Poles would strongly consider moving back for that extra pick or two.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The never ending thread of lsd blabbering nonsense to himself no one cares about.
Good grief this guy…