• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Opening week is here! Rangers host defending AL Champs Cleveland Indians

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any chance Encarnacion and Santana sit today because the Indians have already won 2 and it's get away day?

Probably not. Francona seems like he's a much better manager than our rooster. I bet we see a good line up from them today. A win today would be really nice, I'd hate to start the season on the wrong side of a sweep when that is exactly how last season ended. At least we shouldn't see the Indians closer today. I think he's pitched both games.
REMINDER: Bannister was Mgr of the year 2015 and runner up in 2016. Not to shabby.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jose Leclerc shows he could have staying power as rest of Rangers bullpen struggles | SportsDay

Introducing Jose Leclerc. It’s good idea to get to know him. If the track record of the last two years holds for a third, somebody is going to come out of nowhere to rescue the Rangers bullpen. If somebody is going to step into that role, Leclerc is the favorite...

LeClerc, 23, impressed the Rangers in the spring. He showed a higher strike-to-ball rate and his powerful right arm intrigued Banister. But, he was going to the minors until an incident involving perceived lack of effort by Keone Kela on the final day of camp. When the Rangers decided Kela needed some time in the minors to regroup, they elected to carry Leclerc.

He should not have been pitching in a situation involving any real leverage for his first outing of the year, but the Rangers were basically out of options in the seventh inning Tuesday. They pulled Jeremy Jeffress after an infield single by Austin Jackson so that lefty Dario Alvarez could force the two switch-hitters at the top of the Cleveland order to hit from the right side. Only problem: He walked leadoff hitter Carlos Santa to put a runner in scoring position. It was the 11th walk allowed by Rangers pitchers in the first two games of the season.

“That’s something we’ve got to get under control,” Banister said.

After striking out Francisco Lindor, he allowed a two-out single to Michael Brantley. It brought up Encarnacion who had six homers in his last 45 at-bats against the Rangers. And it forced Banister to go to Leclerc.

“I told myself to stay under control,” Leclerc said through an interpreter. “That was my focus. They gave me a great opportunity and I have to take advantage of it.”

If he does, his role could grow significantly. In each of Banister’s first two seasons as manager, the bullpen has crumbled early. The manager has responded by erasing roles, starting from scratch and rebuilding an effective bullpen. The ability to rebuild those bullpens arose because pitchers took on bigger roles. In 2015, it was Kela. In 2016, it was Bush.

The Rangers hope they won’t need somebody to step in and settle things in 2017.

On Tuesday, though, Jose Leclerc gave them hope they might just have such an option if the need arises.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder why Barnette hasn't pitched yet?

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is really hard to see long term success for Rua, Profar, and Deshields as long as they play once every third game or so.

I agree. I don't like it one bit. Imo, you're keeping everyone from getting in a groove.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is really hard to see long term success for Rua, Profar, and Deshields as long as they play once every third game or so.

Yup someone needs to go to RR or get traded. Even with Rua starting last night, he was PH for (I get the match up part) and what did he get like 2 AB's? Thats not gonna get any of them enough opportunity to get better.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. I don't like it one bit. Imo, you're keeping everyone from getting in a groove.
Exactly and each one has something to offer. Of the three I like Profar and Rua a little more. Each are versatile and Profar I value a little more b/c he can cover the entire IF. ( less catcher) In addition he is a switch hitter and also can play OF. His hitting has yet to prove he is the best selection to keep. Just my observation.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deshields should be leading off everyday. If he plays like he did in 2015, he could jumpstart the lineup.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree 100% with the sentiment you guys are expressing. So, what's the immediate solution, and how could this effect us down the road?

As a side bar, would anyone have had a problem if DeShields had been "aggressive" on 2nd last night? Not saying just give him a green light, but what about a hit-and-run?

This isn't hind sight, I was wondering last night about this and primarily b/c of the 2 guys (Gallo & Odor) who are primed for easy outs due to their swing/miss mode coming up.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deshields should be leading off everyday. If he plays like he did in 2015, he could jumpstart the lineup.

Heavens....will wonders never cease? A pertinent comment.

But, if DeShields is leading off everyday, then he's starting in LF everyday. So what happens to Rua and Profar?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup someone needs to go to RR or get traded. Even with Rua starting last night, he was PH for (I get the match up part) and what did he get like 2 AB's? Thats not gonna get any of them enough opportunity to get better.
It would have been tough enough to get Rua and Profar enough playing time, but adding a third person really messes things up. They should have went with the 2 most versatile guys and sent DeShields to RR. Trying to get Profar and Rua enough at bats to keep them from cooling off is possible if other players sit once a week. Adding DeShields to that mix keeps even that from working.