• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Only rooting for winning franchises

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread actually hits home pretty hard. Basically the whole state of Idaho and good portions of Eastern Washington contain nothing but bandwagon fans. I went to junior high/high school in Eastern Washington and knew exactly one other big Seahawks fan. Everybody else seemed to switch between the Raiders, 49ers, Steelers, Packers, Cowboys, Bronocos, or even Buccaneers depending on who was winning. I really could never keep track of who most of my friends rooted for. Of course now 90% of them are claiming to be big Seahawks fans which is a huge load of shit.

The Mariners were big in the early 2000s but everybody quickly became Red Sox and Cardinals fans.

WSU was popular in the early 2000s but now it's all Oregon, Eastern Washington, Boise State and Gonzaga. These schools that had almost zero popularity in this area before they got good.

The worst is when you get the guys who root for college teams, but only in one specific sport. For example I know people who root for Oregon football and Gonzaga basketball. Or Boise State football and Gonzaga basketball. I guess people can do whatever the hell they want but I don't get the point of some of this bullshit.

There's also some weird trend in this area where people go to college football games decked out in gear of a team that's not even playing at that stadium. Many times the team they are apparently a huge fan of is playing on TV while they are at the stadium. I went to Oregon vs. WSU earlier this year and walked by tailgates with people covered in UW and BSU stuff. Went to Idaho vs. WSU the year before and there's a guy in head to toe BSU gear and another guy covered in Eastern Washington stuff. Again, I guess they can do as they please but these people come off as huge attention whores.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I should note that this bandwagon crap doesn't carry over across the Cascade mountains. Once you hit western Washington it's pretty solid all Seahawks, Huskies, Mariners, Sounders etc and has been for years.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was raised in NY but for some reason my pop hated all NY teams. But whenever the Cowboys came on his attitude would change but I would still not really call him a fan. And landry was his kinda guy too. A no bullshit quite kinda a guy who would let his actions do the talking.

That and the fact when the Cowboys came on ...they just have a different aura about them. I was hooked.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was raised in NY but for some reason my pop hated all NY teams. But whenever the Cowboys came on his attitude would change but I would still not really call him a fan. And landry was his kinda guy too. A no bullshit quite kinda a guy who would let his actions do the talking.

That and the fact when the Cowboys came on ...they just have a different aura about them. I was hooked.
Your "Pop" sounds like a really good guy......

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some idiot Cowboys fan tried to talk shit in the Eagles forum but he was also a redsox fan and prepubescent so he got laughed at.

handicappers

FAT STACKS BITCHES
Hoopla Cash
$ 196,499.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's say your "team" gets knocked outta the playoffs, will you then root for any remaining teams from within the division or within the state?

Tgann69

tOffficial Avi Welcher
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's say your "team" gets knocked outta the playoffs, will you then root for any remaining teams from within the division or within the state?
Nope. I root for the team playing my division rivals.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always assume you root for the teams you did as a kid and that should never change no matter where you end up living. Your first teams memories are always the best. The Cubs were on TV every day in the summer on WGN as a kid, Hell knowing what I know now I should've picked another team but imo once you pick a team that's it end of story.

Ditto for me. I have not lived in the DC area in ages yet I still am a diehard fan for for most of their teams & Lord knows that they try your patience & loyalty (being a Caps fan may be the toughest).

I lived in SoCal for a very long time until recently yet the Angels were the only team I adopted from that area & that is primarily because they were right down the street & also I never really grew up w/ a baseball team in DC.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Browns fan (dammit, I gotta stop saying that!) what is this winning franchise mumbo-jumbo you speak of?:noidea:

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In football, I'd actually never cheer for another NFCE or Houston in the playoffs. But I'm a big jerk.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Browns fan (dammit, I gotta stop saying that!) what is this winning franchise mumbo-jumbo you speak of?:noidea:

They appeared to be making a SB run in that movie "Draft Day".....

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something Ive never understood and want some feedback. Why is it if you root for the Lions all your other favorite team Icons are Detroit teams. If you root for the Browns all you other favorite team icons are Cleveland teams. But when you go on the Cowboys board the majority of there fans are also "Lakers, Yankees, Celtics, Bulls, Alabama Football" fans too.

Is it just a one in a billion coincidence that all the teams they root for just randomly happen to be the elite franchises or am I missing something. How come I dont see any Cowboy/Royals fans? Why is it always a 2nd team with at least 5 titles?

It's simple to me...people want to identify with success...that's why the Yankees, Steelers, Cowboys, etc. have nationwide fan bases. When the team hits hard times not all of these fans will stick around, but that's not a whole different from the hardcore fan that lives in the city and buys season tickets...if the team hits the skids for a few years...it's get's harder and harder to write that renewal check every year.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends entirely on who's left. I can't root for a NY team but the Jets are from New Jersey and Bills are from Canada......

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends entirely on who's left. I can't root for a NY team but the Jets are from New Jersey and Bills are from Canada......

See...Southie gets it...

Golden Spur

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love this thread as I have lived it.

Raiders fan #1, don't care how poorly they have fared in this last long decade, I am old enough to remember the good times, hell they were GREAT times, and damn sure know there aren't any bandwagon fans
When I was a kid, the market team was the Redskins, was never into them. And def not the falcons. Raiders were my team for a long time, and still root for them. The men in black just had that mystique back then, and they could play. Super bowl thrashing of the Skins is still one of favorite games watched.

Started following the panthers because they're in my market, and have really gotten interested the last few years. So I can see both sides - reasons why you would root for a team faraway, and one nearby.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grown men should not worry about the reasons why someone else is a fan of the teams they are.