• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL Thread Part V minutes for fighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a feeling that you're a much better skater than I ever was (and my skating style resembled Tiger Williams), but I never felt comfortable with my skates razor sharp.

I move laterally really well (in traffic I kinda look like a harness driver jumping and bouncing the sulky that is my big ass through the tiniest bits of room) but I am not a fast straight line skater. I'm working on it though, I mean you know better than any of us that you're never too old to learn, Methuselah :wink:

Also that comment comparing hockey to harness racing might be the most Canadian thing ever said (even if there are no extra "U"s in it).

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't start punishing players for their size though. One was part of an altercation and the other was a one sided, premeditated attack. Both are inexcusable but one is worse, IMO.
DeBrusk had just knee on kneed a Leaf player before the Kadri hit. Not sure why that’s a one-sided attack if the other guy is already going around shithousing.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DeBrusk had just knee on kneed a Leaf player before the Kadri hit. Not sure why that’s a one-sided attack if the other guy is already going around shithousing.

Agreed about DeBrsuk but IMO that makes it worse. It was retribution rather just a random skirmish. Suggests premeditation and intent to injure.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was an infrequent sharpener for a long time and my skating style probably reflects it. I feel like someone could/(should?) have sat me down early and sold me on the benefits of sharp skates. Although my dad is probably too cheap for me to have done it right as a kid anyway :wink:

LOL. Same here. Once I was in my thirties (barely played in my 20s) I realized how much value there was in having nice crisp, sharp edges. By then it was too late. By now it's a win if I can put my skates on without a trip to the IR.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, we've come a long way from 1972 when a slash that breaks an ankle deems a guy a national hero. At least we're fining guys now. Baby steps.

:behindsofa:

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I forgot that there are cross checks to the throat that are sometimes not intended to injure.

I'm not asking you to agree with me. I think it was a worse play then crosschecking during a scrum.

Why was Die Domi not suspended for any of these punches aimed at Chris Neil's head?

But he received an 8 game suspension for just ONE punch here?!?!?

Both punches to the head. Punching is an intent to injure last I checked.

ANTI-SENATORS BIAS CONFIRMED!!!

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chris Simon got 30, chris pronger got 8 ... What other suspensions have happened for skate kicking/stomping ?

Martin Havlat got 5 games (I think) for kicking Hal Gill in 2005.

Funny that this should come up now, and I'm not saying that Hal was slow, but I heard that Gill just reacted to the kick earlier this week.

Last edited:

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Martin Havlat got 5 games (I think) for kicking Hal Gill in 2005.

Funny that this should come up now, and I'm not saying that Hal was slow, but I heard that Gill just reacted to the kick this earlier this week.

cut.jpg

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some are merely Valentine's Day sentiments:

I love you a bushel and a peck
A bushel and a peck here's a crosscheck to your neck

That's gonna leave a hickey

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not asking you to agree with me. I think it was a worse play then crosschecking during a scrum.

Why was Die Domi not suspended for any of these punches aimed at Chris Neil's head?

But he received an 8 game suspension for just ONE punch here?!?!?

Both punches to the head. Punching is an intent to injure last I checked.

ANTI-SENATORS BIAS CONFIRMED!!!
Something something false equivalencies.

All I’m saying is the gap between a ten game regular season suspension (what Kadri effectively got) and a one game regular season suspension (as you suggest Lummox McLeadership deserved) for what is ultimately the exact same violent and dangerous action is a rather large one that I think one way or another should be much more narrow.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something something false equivalencies.

All I’m saying is the gap between a ten game regular season suspension (what Kadri effectively got) and a one game regular season suspension (as you suggest Lummox McLeadership deserved) for what is ultimately the exact same violent and dangerous action is a rather large one that I think one way or another should be much more narrow.

Obviously not the same, even thought the act of punching is the same. Context matters. Just like it does here.

Excuse me?

I suggested four for Kadri and two for Chara. Not ten to one.

But thanks for that, I haven't seen a real live straw man in a while; this will tide me over.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously not the same, even thought the act of punching is the same. Context matters. Just like it does here.

Excuse me?

I suggested four for Kadri and two for Chara. Not ten to one.

But thanks for that, I haven't seen a real live straw man in a while; this will tide me over.
I meant what Kadri actually got vs. what you suggested Chara should’ve gotten; sorry for saying 1 instead of 2.

The context doesn’t matter for an act this violent - you either treat it serious or you don’t. In one instance they did, in the other they didn’t. What anything from the old Wild West days of hockey has to do with shit that’s happened in the last calendar year is beyond me.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I meant what Kadri actually got vs. what you suggested Chara should’ve gotten; sorry for saying 1 instead of 2.

The context doesn’t matter for an act this violent - you either treat it serious or you don’t. In one instance they did, in the other they didn’t. What anything from the old Wild West days of hockey has to do with shit that’s happened in the last calendar year is beyond me.

If you can't tell the difference between a blind sided cross check the head/neck and one in which the two players are engaged and where the victim is actively defending himself then I don't think we have enough common ground to debate this.

And again, since you seem to keep missing this, I didn't agree with the length of suspension for Kadri (compared to other punishments for similar acts). I said I would give him four games. I would do that in the regular season or playoffs. I would give Chara two games in either scenario regular v. postseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.