• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL Thread Part V minutes for fighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I guess he will "play" for every Canadian team this season.
1. Oilers 2. Jets 3. Sens
Yeah the Canes were in there also but that last all of one day.
Still wonder where it all went wrong for him. He was Sooooo good at CBJ dev camp a few years ago. I know he was never gonna get past Bob and was unlikely to unseat Joonas, but he was damn good. Mechanically solid with insane athletic ability when he got the read wrong. He made Ryan Johansen scream in frustration several times.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One game suspension for Soucy for elbowing Garland in the head, but the more appalling thing for me is the commentary:

"Garland does a good job selling this one"

Um, a guy who is 6 inches taller and probably outweighs him by 60 lbs leaps into his hit elbowing a guy in the head causing his head to hit the glass and you think he's selling it?

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All 17 voted Hedman first. I haven't watched LA play this year, but hear that Doughty is having a good year. A good year and 2nd in the Norris voting are two completely different things though.
He has 22 pts in 27 GP. Great, right?

14 of those came on the PP and his 5v5 stats are still crap at both ends unlike Hedman.

Meanwhile Morgan Rielly has 23 pts in 30 GP with only 11 of those coming on the PP. Is he a Norris nom? No because he's shit defensively like Doughty but unfortunately for him old head hockey writers don't have a never-ending hard on for him.

McAvoy is the second best d-man in the league right now, and maybe the best if we remove Hedman's team support system (Boston is very much a 1 line team right now). Adam Fox and Pelech & Pulock from NYI are all above Doughty & Petry at the moment if you ask me.

wings-pens2166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One game suspension for Soucy for elbowing Garland in the head, but the more appalling thing for me is the commentary:

"Garland does a good job selling this one"

Um, a guy who is 6 inches taller and probably outweighs him by 60 lbs leaps into his hit elbowing a guy in the head causing his head to hit the glass and you think he's selling it?

it's not even the selling it comment that gets me (though awful). it's the did leave he his feet before contact or after because of momentum. that's always been a peeve of mine. who gives a fuck if it's before or after? he left his damned feet!

why did he (or any other player that does this) leave his feet? he left his feet because just prior to the hit he squats down slightly to load up to launch himself up and into the player resulting head contact.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's not even the selling it comment that gets me (though awful). it's the did leave he his feet before contact or after because of momentum. that's always been a peeve of mine. who gives a fuck if it's before or after? he left his damned feet!

why did he (or any other player that does this) leave his feet? he left his feet because just prior to the hit he squats down slightly to load up to launch himself up and into the player resulting head contact.

You see, Garland got up too quickly, he should have laid prone on the ice for a couple minutes, hence he's "selling the call"

wings-pens2166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You see, Garland got up too quickly, he should have laid prone on the ice for a couple minutes, hence he's "selling the call"
oh, don't get me wrong. that was a pathetic thing to say. I just get tired of hearing the old "it was his momentum that carried him off his feet" BS.

and wasn't it the same person that said both?

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh, don't get me wrong. that was a pathetic thing to say. I just get tired of hearing the old "it was his momentum that carried him off his feet" BS.

and wasn't it the same person that said both?

Yeah, I think it was. We need to get that kind of commentary out of the game (and I'm not saying cancel culture 'cause I hate that stuff), but this is a fast game played by big fast men and when a big guy hits a small guy, the small guy is usually going to take the worst of it.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1

I read that argument as:

when you glide into a hit, and you make contact (feet still on the ice) - the movement of stopping in a big hurry can make your feet leave the ice.
I always think of it as a big 'splosion of energy. In certain cases, a yard sale. To me, that's ok as your feet were on the ice at contact.

the hit above, buddy jumped into the little guy. to borrow a phrase: "you can't do that"

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I've posted something along these lines before, but that was some time ago and nothing really has changed as far as the DOPeS is concerned, so here I go again:

When handing out discipline, it should be a two-step approach which consists of the following:

1. The offending hit/play and
2. The injury resulting from the offending hit/play.

If we want those kinds of hits eliminated from the game (and I would like to think most of us do), then that type of hit in my book should be a 5 game suspension. If Garland is injured and misses significant time, then there should be additional games tacked on to the original five games handed down.

Lastly, get rid of the repeat offender crap. Once it's on your rap sheet, it stays on for as long as you're in the NHL. Thus, 5 games becomes 10 the next time you do something stupid and then 10 games becomes 20 and so on. You start hurting teams with players not being available as well as hurting guys in the wallet and then you'll likely see these types of hits greatly reduced.

wings-pens2166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read that argument as:

when you glide into a hit, and you make contact (feet still on the ice) - the movement of stopping in a big hurry can make your feet leave the ice.
I always think of it as a big 'splosion of energy. In certain cases, a yard sale. To me, that's ok as your feet were on the ice at contact.

the hit above, buddy jumped into the little guy. to borrow a phrase: "you can't do that"
don't get me wrong. I recognize there's a difference between feet leaving the ice because leapt into a guy and feet leaving the ice because you glided in and you either toppled over the other guy or he puts you on your backside.

as you say, the latter is definitely not what happened in the one above.

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know I've posted something along these lines before, but that was some time ago and nothing really has changed as far as the DOPeS is concerned, so here I go again:

When handing out discipline, it should be a two-step approach which consists of the following:

1. The offending hit/play and
2. The injury resulting from the offending hit/play.

If we want those kinds of hits eliminated from the game (and I would like to think most of us do), then that type of hit in my book should be a 5 game suspension. If Garland is injured and misses significant time, then there should be additional games tacked on to the original five games handed down.

Lastly, get rid of the repeat offender crap. Once it's on your rap sheet, it stays on for as long as you're in the NHL. Thus, 5 games becomes 10 the next time you do something stupid and then 10 games becomes 20 and so on. You start hurting teams with players not being available as well as hurting guys in the wallet and then you'll likely see these types of hits greatly reduced.
There also needs to be more people in the room making that decision than a former goon and a guy who played before helmets were mandatory.

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Some surveillance footage of Vesey leaving TO:
f5c2db7399fe63a49ad892bb61f8c17c.gif

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think Ill need a second source to confirm whether this is actually a true thing and not a tiny drancer insiderrrrr throw back ode lol

Because ... tiny drancers original twitter account over 10 years ago when he was an anonymous blogger was Artem Chubarov ... and canucks fans all know about that guys car ... heh

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Even accounting for going home and gathering a few things after getting claimed at noon it’s not a drive that should take any more than 5 hours.

I’d be worried about Eugene impounding his car at usury rates tho lol

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even accounting for going home and gathering a few things after getting claimed at noon it’s not a drive that should take any more than 5 hours.

I’d be worried about Eugene impounding his car at usury rates tho lol
He's probably using it to Quarantine Anton Forsberg in for 200 a night.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Ill need a second source to confirm whether this is actually a true thing and not a tiny drancer insiderrrrr throw back ode lol

Because ... tiny drancers original twitter account over 10 years ago when he was an anonymous blogger was Artem Chubarov ... and canucks fans all know about that guys car ... heh

Confirmed???

/as a bad parker

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the win last night, his 390th of his career, Ryan Miller moves into sole possession of 14th overall in career wins for NHL goalies.

One ahead of Dominik Hasek, thus permanently ending the argument over which one was better.

A-Miller.

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Speaking of Sabres goalies...

This is just making room to trade the remains of Eichel for Korpisalo.

Status
Not open for further replies.