• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL Thread Part IV - A New Hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess the Flames should have selected Kucherov instead of Tyler Wotherspoon.

giphy.gif
You'll forgive me if I'm not too sympathetic when they pulled Gaudreau out of the 4th of the same draft.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The President's Trophy is tougher to win than the Stanley Cup. FACT.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, I've got a radical new idea. Stop me if you've heard this one before.

The league should no longer allow players on entry level contracts to be extended until the contract expires. So essentially after 3 seasons, you would then have a redraft with all those players. This is kind of a way to replace the offer sheet that never gets used anymore.

So all those drafted in a certain year would then be eligible for the re-draft and all teams have a shot at them. Two rounds with a special pool of money set aside in the next cap to pillage and plunder the other teams best young players. Each slot in the draft is worth X number of dollars kind of like the NFL draft. And teams can trade their slots values for whatever they want. What is there to lose?

Now I haven't figured out the order for this draft yet, but I'm open to ideas other than a ping pong show.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They've clinched their CONFERENCE with 9 games to go. Don't see that very often.

They were damn close to clinching the President's trophy before anyone else clinched a playoff spot. Just unreal.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Despite all of these facts, I am not sure how many people believe they will win the Cup.

Considering that we are their likely first round opponent, they will win at least one round in a walk.

Reactions: gob

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather face the Bolts than the Caps, so tank away.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The President's Trophy is tougher to win than the Stanley Cup. FACT.

Presidents' Trophy - Wikipedia

Since 2000 only 4 Presidents Cup winners have won the Stanley Cup & only 1 other team even went to the finals. As a Caps fan I really don't want to ever win the damn Presidents Cup - it means nothing & is a setup for disappointment.

Bolts have a great shot at going all the way but far from a given in NHL. That is one of the main reasons that I believe that NHL playoffs are better than in any other sport (much better than NBA where you pretty much know that the Warriors will win the whole thing).

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Caps fan I really don't want to ever win the damn Presidents Cup - it means nothing & is a setup for disappointment.

I agree that the setup for disappointment goes along with the President's Trophy since the likelihood of any team winning the Cup really isn't more than say 25-30% even as the favorite. So with higher expectations as the best team, yeah, there is more room for disappointment.

But that said, I disagree that it means nothing. In fact, I think it's a huge accomplishment and I'm proud of our President's Trophies, division titles, etc. The emphasizing of the Cup over ALL ELSE is a little out of whack. It's certainly the most sought thing, but for example in the Premiership, the season title IS the championship. And honestly, the LARGER sample is the truer test of how good a team is. Tampa Bay is undoubtedly the best team in the NHL this year. That should be celebrated. But they may not win the Cup, and the narrative will become something that may not be very accurate. A "fatal flaw" will be delved into over something that may be nothing more than a small sample size or the fact that they don't match up with one particular team who is, in truth, not as good as them on the whole.

The Caps team of last year was undoubtedly not one of their best teams of the past decade. This whole narrative that played out about how OV learned what was so important was an absolute and total crock of shit. You could have applied that oversimplified narrative to 2009 or 2010 teams, sure. But they've played pretty great hockey for a long time. You get enough bites at the apple playing at that level and you're bound to get through at some point. And given that hot streaks and puck luck play a factor in hockey FAR more than any other sport, from the perspective of finalizing who the best team really is, the Stanley Cup is probably the least reliable measuring stick of the best team in all of professional sports.

The NBA and NFL almost ALWAYS reward one of the best 2-3 teams with the championship. Baseball doesn't even let many teams in the mix to begin with. Hockey playoffs are the best because of the exciting possibilities. But this also should be a reason in support of season accomplishments being valued more. I don't even think the "conference trophies" should be in the playoffs, that should be decided in the season. It's the Stanley Cup playoffs, not the Wales/Campbell/Stanley Cup playoffs. You can disagree with this, but it's absolutely correct in that the playoffs reward a season designation to a playoff format. That doesn't make any sense.

All of this doesn't mean the playoffs aren't awesome. It's how American sports are run. The seven-game series grew from a time in baseball when the two leagues didn't play each other so they needed a series to decide it. It has evolved from there. It's capitalistic both in it's revenue generation and in the winner-take-all mentality it creates.

All of this is to say, the President's Trophy and other season accomplishments should mean more than they do, and perhaps the Stanley Cup should mean a little less.

(thanks for helping me get my brain going this morning ;) )

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that the setup for disappointment goes along with the President's Trophy since the likelihood of any team winning the Cup really isn't more than say 25-30% even as the favorite. So with higher expectations as the best team, yeah, there is more room for disappointment.

But that said, I disagree that it means nothing. In fact, I think it's a huge accomplishment and I'm proud of our President's Trophies, division titles, etc. The emphasizing of the Cup over ALL ELSE is a little out of whack. It's certainly the most sought thing, but for example in the Premiership, the season title IS the championship. And honestly, the LARGER sample is the truer test of how good a team is. Tampa Bay is undoubtedly the best team in the NHL this year. That should be celebrated. But they may not win the Cup, and the narrative will become something that may not be very accurate. A "fatal flaw" will be delved into over something that may be nothing more than a small sample size or the fact that they don't match up with one particular team who is, in truth, not as good as them on the whole.

The Caps team of last year was undoubtedly not one of their best teams of the past decade. This whole narrative that played out about how OV learned what was so important was an absolute and total crock of shit. You could have applied that oversimplified narrative to 2009 or 2010 teams, sure. But they've played pretty great hockey for a long time. You get enough bites at the apple playing at that level and you're bound to get through at some point. And given that hot streaks and puck luck play a factor in hockey FAR more than any other sport, from the perspective of finalizing who the best team really is, the Stanley Cup is probably the least reliable measuring stick of the best team in all of professional sports.

The NBA and NFL almost ALWAYS reward one of the best 2-3 teams with the championship. Baseball doesn't even let many teams in the mix to begin with. Hockey playoffs are the best because of the exciting possibilities. But this also should be a reason in support of season accomplishments being valued more. I don't even think the "conference trophies" should be in the playoffs, that should be decided in the season. It's the Stanley Cup playoffs, not the Wales/Campbell/Stanley Cup playoffs. You can disagree with this, but it's absolutely correct in that the playoffs reward a season designation to a playoff format. That doesn't make any sense.

All of this doesn't mean the playoffs aren't awesome. It's how American sports are run. The seven-game series grew from a time in baseball when the two leagues didn't play each other so they needed a series to decide it. It has evolved from there. It's capitalistic both in it's revenue generation and in the winner-take-all mentality it creates.

All of this is to say, the President's Trophy and other season accomplishments should mean more than they do, and perhaps the Stanley Cup should mean a little less.

(thanks for helping me get my brain going this morning ;) )
Don't necessarily disagree with most of the post.... But I do disagree about the NFL part. Being a one game, single elimination playoff allows for a team to get hot and upset better teams more easily than a series.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't necessarily disagree with most of the post.... But I do disagree about the NFL part. Being a one game, single elimination playoff allows for a team to get hot and upset better teams more easily than a series.

Yes, but the better team wins more frequently in the NFL. Which is why the top teams in football and basketball have a winning percentage in the 80-90% range and the best teams in sports like baseball or hockey win around 60% of their games. Football and basketball are better built for playoffs if the goal is rewarding the best team because the outcomes of the games/series more consistently (but not without exceptions) are won by the better team overall. Additionally, football goes an extra step by allowing the top 4 teams a bye in the first round of the playoffs to reward their season achievements.

I remember for years in the Post Michael Wilbon calling the Stanley Cup playoffs simply "goalie," because of the enormity of the effect a hot goalie can have on winning it all. That's an oversimplification... but he's not totally wrong either.

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, but the better team wins more frequently in the NFL. Which is why the top teams in football and basketball have a winning percentage in the 80-90% range and the best teams in sports like baseball or hockey win around 60% of their games. Football and basketball are better built for playoffs if the goal is rewarding the best team because the outcomes of the games/series more consistently (but not without exceptions) are won by the better team overall. Additionally, football goes an extra step by allowing the top 4 teams a bye in the first round of the playoffs to reward their season achievements.

I remember for years in the Post Michael Wilbon calling the Stanley Cup playoffs simply "goalie," because of the enormity of the effect a hot goalie can have on winning it all. That's an oversimplification... but he's not totally wrong either.
I was curious, so I looked up some results. Since the 2010 Superbowl, there have been 3 teams that weren't likely top 4 teams in the league and won it. There were 6 for the Stanley cup (went back to 2009 to make it even).

For top 4, I just used top 2 for the conference. I realize that's not entirely acurate, but I didn't want to spend a half hour looking up each individual season for each sport.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was curious, so I looked up some results. Since the 2010 Superbowl, there have been 3 teams that weren't likely top 4 teams in the league and won it. There were 6 for the Stanley cup (went back to 2009 to make it even).

For top 4, I just used top 2 for the conference. I realize that's not entirely acurate, but I didn't want to spend a half hour looking up each individual season for each sport.

Interesting. Here's a nice chart for the NFL (missing a few recent years that shows the seed of the eventual winner);

Playoff_Seeding_graph_1390420521_full.jpg

gob

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,496.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting. Here's a nice chart for the NFL (missing a few recent years that shows the seed of the eventual winner);

Playoff_Seeding_graph_1390420521_full.jpg
The recent winners have been 12 -14 game winners, so the better seeds. For a while there it was pretty open, though. Interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.