• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL Thread Part IV - A New Hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nashville's goals for% since Thanksgiving is 3rd worst in the league but they're still a top half team in goals against.

Goaltending's been an issue, injuries as well, but that just screams flip one of your star d-men for a forward.
11 goals in 2 games since will do the trick I suppose.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Garrison's NHL career might be over...

mooger_35

my hatred for MY team clouds my judgement
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When the Oilers deem you not good enough to play on their D it’s time to hang em up.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When the Oilers deem you not good enough to play on their D it’s time to hang em up.

Europe or KHL isn't a bad way to go for a couple of years - Maybe we'll see Garrison in next year's Spengler Cup (ala Bieksa)

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So now that Ottawa's pick is looking pretty certain to be of incredibly high value, and since Colorado looks like they may be tough but not scary in a very talented division, does it maybe make sense for them to go for a win-now move and try to cash in on Ottawa's misfortune?

They'll have about $35 mil in cap space next summer with only Rantanen as a big money contract worry. They have Mackinnon in his prime at a steal. Barrie too, really. The cheap, high-ranked prospect is of course incredibly enticing but the Avs are in as much of a win-now mode as a team could find itself in. If STL came in and offered a Tarasenko/Parayko/Pietrangelo blockbuster, or the Kings offered Doughty etc. does chasing the Cup make more sense than hoping for Hughes?

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So now that Ottawa's pick is looking pretty certain to be of incredibly high value, and since Colorado looks like they may be tough but not scary in a very talented division, does it maybe make sense for them to go for a win-now move and try to cash in on Ottawa's misfortune?

They'll have about $35 mil in cap space next summer with only Rantanen as a big money contract worry. They have Mackinnon in his prime at a steal. Barrie too, really. The cheap, high-ranked prospect is of course incredibly enticing but the Avs are in as much of a win-now mode as a team could find itself in. If STL came in and offered a Tarasenko/Parayko/Pietrangelo blockbuster, or the Kings offered Doughty etc. does chasing the Cup make more sense than hoping for Hughes?

Similar predicament as Toronto. Super tough division to get out of. They will need to beat both Winnipeg and Nashville just to get to a Conference Final. Leafs have to go through Tampa and Boston. Neither team can feel good about getting out of their division even with deadline trades.

I would not trade the OTT first, but that is me.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Similar predicament as Toronto. Super tough division to get out of. They will need to beat both Winnipeg and Nashville just to get to a Conference Final. Leafs have to go through Tampa and Boston. Neither team can feel good about getting out of their division even with deadline trades.

I would not trade the OTT first, but that is me.
It's risky, but man that reward could be something amazing.

And it's not like the opposite outcome isn't out there for people to see - Dallas could've traded #3 for help, didn't, and yeah Heiskanen looks like he could be a very good player but they have two of the league's best players and the team is in shambles. Colorado could be two very good players from being among the league's elite today. If they have that huge asset to cash in for that (and the players available who would be worth that) don't they almost have to go for it?

/Of course, you could've said this about Boston in 2010 and they still managed to win the Cup a year later while keeping the asset (to screw it up a little later). Guess there is precedent to holding the line.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As a hockey fan, booo.
As a Caps' fan, yay!

Hopefully they sub in Kuznetsov in his spot who would probably be the best 3v3 player on the Metro team.

I do think it's funny it's an automatic one-game suspension. If a guy is voluntarily taking some time off then giving him a couple more days off is probably not the punishment that will give one pause.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not get why Price is going. He has been nursing injuries all season. The time off would probably be nice.

Plus if he has a bad game in the All Star Game it might affect his confidence.
My guess is he won't go. Doubt Andersen will go either, so not sure who backs up Howard for that division or who will rep Montreal but if Tavares and Matthews could somehow also get out of going I'd be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.