• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL Thread Part IV - A New Hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh yeah, I have not spoken to one Caps fan who thinks the Wilson suspension was excessive. WTF is wrong with that guy?

I thought the suspension was appropriate, but that's because I'm generally for longer suspensions for players, especially repeat offenders, so that the players take the safety issues more seriously. Wilson's hit was really bad, it was in a preseason game (which makes it worse for me), and his repeat history is in a short span of recent time factors as well. So I think 20 games is earned. I was surprised at the length based on the past actions by the NHL. But hopefully this is part of a continuing trend in terms of both protecting players' heads and in being more serious about punishment doled out. (And hopefully it brings an end to the reckless trend in Wilson's play.)

What I can't reconcile is how you can continue to allow fighting as a normal part of the game.

While the result of the play from Wilson's hit was much worse, Marchand sucker punched an unwilling Eller last night in the game. Is Marchand's intent here not worse than anything during a "hockey play?" Isn't allowing fighting - where the mindset of retribution is clear and the intent is only to physically harm - worse than anything not clearly intentional (think Dale Hunter, Tie Domi) that happens between the whistles?

That I can't reconcile.

If you want to enforce a legitimate safety policy, then fighting can't be a part of the game. It's far less than it used to be, but an outright ban on it is needed and appropriate with escalating suspensions for fighting similar to what Tom Wilson received. Especially in situations where one player does not consent to the fight in the first place.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the suspension was appropriate, but that's because I'm generally for longer suspensions for players, especially repeat offenders, so that the players take the safety issues more seriously. Wilson's hit was really bad, it was in a preseason game (which makes it worse for me), and his repeat history is in a short span of recent time factors as well. So I think 20 games is earned. I was surprised at the length based on the past actions by the NHL. But hopefully this is part of a continuing trend in terms of both protecting players' heads and in being more serious about punishment doled out. (And hopefully it brings an end to the reckless trend in Wilson's play.)

What I can't reconcile is how you can continue to allow fighting as a normal part of the game.

While the result of the play from Wilson's hit was much worse, Marchand sucker punched an unwilling Eller last night in the game. Is Marchand's intent here not worse than anything during a "hockey play?" Isn't allowing fighting - where the mindset of retribution is clear and the intent is only to physically harm - worse than anything not clearly intentional (think Dale Hunter, Tie Domi) that happens between the whistles?

That I can't reconcile.

If you want to enforce a legitimate safety policy, then fighting can't be a part of the game. It's far less than it used to be, but an outright ban on it is needed and appropriate with escalating suspensions for fighting similar to what Tom Wilson received. Especially in situations where one player does not consent to the fight in the first place.

Apparently there are still some mouthbreathers who still feel fighting is important in hockey. I don’t get it. I’ll never get it, and I’m glad they are much less common than 30 uears ago.

But a fight rarely leads to the type of head injury you can get from a Tom Wilson high hit at full speed.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That I can't reconcile.

Well articulated. May have to rethink my mouthbreathing

/what are ya, a lawyer or something?:D

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
/what are ya, a lawyer or something?:D

Punctuation is important.

giphy.gif

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But a fight rarely leads to the type of head injury you can get from a Tom Wilson high hit at full speed.

I agree a full speed hit has more power to deliver a concussion. But many fighters from yesteryear like Bob Probert, Derek Boogaard, and Reggie Fleming who all suffered from CTE would disagree that fighting rarely leads to head trauma. Blows to the head can cause concussions and hitting one's head on the ice is much more of a risk during a fight.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That I can't reconcile.

Now listen folks. Everybody's talkin' about Brad Marchand and his fight last night... wasn't much of a fight was it though eh? Now listen; I KNOW what's going on out there and all the pink...I won't say it but you know what I mean... all the media and everyone like that are saying 'Oooh wasn't that awful what Marchand did to that poor, poor man' and suspension and all that crap. Now listen folks. Brad HAD to do somethin'!! HAD TO!! This feller for Washington, what's his name?? Eller... NOO I SAID FELLER!! Anyway, he's runnin' around with a visor, scoring goals, winnin' hockey games. Won the Cup right? Not bad eh? Anyway it's six to NOTHINNN!! SIX NOTHIN'!! And this hot dog wants to score a goal?!?!? You never... and I mean NEVERR, score 7 goals on a guy...er team,, like that in the first game of the season. Ya dump it in, nice and easy like that and you act like you've been there before.. won the Cup last year didn't they? Think they'd know better than this garbage last night, embarrassin' a Bruins team like that. In the old days with Semenko and Probert this woulda never happened. Never woulda scored that 7th goal with those guys around. And do you pinkos know why?!?!? 'Cause this yeller kid down in Washington woulda had to FIGHT SOMEONE. NEVER WOULDA HAPPENED. So Marchand had to do something...look at that, good looking guy eh? He...watch this... he steps in and there's a little fight here... little crack on the head there... hahaha.. nothin' wrong with that. And you know folks, I bet ya this PUNK didn't even TRY to score an 8th goal. That's the way you do it, take care of it on the ice. I know what I'm talkin' about and so does an MVP, scoring champ, everything like that guy like Brad MARCHAND!! Goes to show ya folks....

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The teams that returned from China were out-scored 12-2 last night.

/Thanks Gary.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now listen folks. Everybody's talkin' about Brad Marchand and his fight last night... wasn't much of a fight was it though eh? Now listen; I KNOW what's going on out there and all the pink...I won't say it but you know what I mean... all the media and everyone like that are saying 'Oooh wasn't that awful what Marchand did to that poor, poor man' and suspension and all that crap. Now listen folks. Brad HAD to do somethin'!! HAD TO!! This feller for Washington, what's his name?? Eller... NOO I SAID FELLER!! Anyway, he's runnin' around with a visor, scoring goals, winnin' hockey games. Won the Cup right? Not bad eh? Anyway it's six to NOTHINNN!! SIX NOTHIN'!! And this hot dog wants to score a goal?!?!? You never... and I mean NEVERR, score 7 goals on a guy...er team,, like that in the first game of the season. Ya dump it in, nice and easy like that and you act like you've been there before.. won the Cup last year didn't they? Think they'd know better than this garbage last night, embarrassin' a Bruins team like that. In the old days with Semenko and Probert this woulda never happened. Never woulda scored that 7th goal with those guys around. And do you pinkos know why?!?!? 'Cause this yeller kid down in Washington woulda had to FIGHT SOMEONE. NEVER WOULDA HAPPENED. So Marchand had to do something...look at that, good looking guy eh? He...watch this... he steps in and there's a little fight here... little crack on the head there... hahaha.. nothin' wrong with that. And you know folks, I bet ya this PUNK didn't even TRY to score an 8th goal. That's the way you do it, take care of it on the ice. I know what I'm talkin' about and so does an MVP, scoring champ, everything like that guy like Brad MARCHAND!! Goes to show ya folks....

Omg I died laughing.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tom Wilson Will Appeal Suspension

I think the consensus he should get this long of a suspension. Long overdue that the NHL did something about it after they let players like Torres and Cooke run around forever.

Anyway I don't blame him for appealing the suspension, that is his right as part of the Players union and fully expected him to do this.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tom Wilson Will Appeal Suspension

I think the consensus he should get this long of a suspension. Long overdue that the NHL did something about it after they let players like Torres and Cooke run around forever.

Anyway I don't blame him for appealing the suspension, that is his right as part of the Players union and fully expected him to do this.
Definitely. And trying to reduce this suspension will reduce the inevitable future suspensions since they're supposed to grow. So if he accepted 20 for this, he'd get 25 or 30 for the next. But if he gets this down to 10, he's looking at "only" 15-20 next time.

Doesn't change the fact that he's a bonehead, but he's still gotta try.

Status
Not open for further replies.