• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL thread - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mmmmm I would say they do. If there's an event you can't get tickets to in BK or MSG, why not take an extra 15-20 minutes to get to Newark? They do it for Jets/Giants games, that's for sure.

That's the thing, though - those two arenas are doing great. Throw a third into the mix, how much of a revenue drop do they see? How much leverage do they lose when organizers and promoters can say "Oh, theres a new arena in Queens that needs to fill 320 dates if you don't like what we're offering"? Keep in mind MSG fought tooth and nail against the West Side Stadium for that very reason and won.
Because downtown Newark is a shithole and going there from Manhattan would require most people to walk from the central train station to the arena through some pretty shady areas.

People from Manhattan don't go to Newark generally, and people from Brooklyn, the Bronx, or Queens are looking at a minimum 60-90 minutes to Newark under normal circumstances. They just don't do it.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because downtown Newark is a shithole and going there from Manhattan would require most people to walk from the central train station to the arena through some pretty shady areas.

People from Manhattan don't go to Newark generally, and people from Brooklyn, the Bronx, or Queens are looking at a minimum 60-90 minutes to Newark under normal circumstances. They just don't do it.
So.much bullshit.....it is not a shady walk from the train to the rock. In fact most of it is indoors. And I know plenty of people from Manhattan that make the trip on occasion for events. And I know I lived in North Jersey and went to Queens and Brooklyn for events all the time so I'm sure some do the reverse. People up here aren't afraid to travel they are used to long trips. It comes with living here.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've taken PATH to Prudential from Lower Manhattan. I feel more scared in a grocery store than I did between the PATH and The Rock. The two or three blocks from Newark Penn to the arena is through office buildings.

I'm not saying it's a common or preferred destination for events for people from the outer boroughs but I don't see it as any different than people here going to events in Hamilton - it's an hour long drive (longer depending on traffic that you would usually encounter going to an evening show) or train ride but I've done it and would do it again for the right event. Hell I've gone to Buffalo for a fair share of non-hockey or football events.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So.much bullshit.....it is not a shady walk from the train to the rock. In fact most of it is indoors. And I know plenty of people from Manhattan that make the trip on occasion for events. And I know I lived in North Jersey and went to Queens and Brooklyn for events all the time so I'm sure some do the reverse. People up here aren't afraid to travel they are used to long trips. It comes with living here.
My fiancé lived in Summit and in Thanksgiving traffic it took us all of an hour to get deep into Long Island. It's not a difficult journey at all.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is merely anecdotal, but I went to many games at Continental/IZOD. I've never to the Prudential Center even once. And I know many Manhattanites who can say the same.

If you tell NYC people there's something great but they've got to go to/put up with Newark to experience it? That's usually a hard sell to someone who isn't a Devils fan I think.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've taken PATH to Prudential from Lower Manhattan. I feel more scared in a grocery store than I did between the PATH and The Rock. The two or three blocks from Newark Penn to the arena is through office buildings.

I'm not saying it's a common or preferred destination for events for people from the outer boroughs but I don't see it as any different than people here going to events in Hamilton - it's an hour long drive (longer depending on traffic that you would usually encounter going to an evening show) or train ride but I've done it and would do it again for the right event. Hell I've gone to Buffalo for a fair share of non-hockey or football events.

This is the thing though, if you lived in the middle of Manhattan would you be looking at a random ordinary Friday night Devils game as "the right event"? That's up to each man to choose for himself, but I wouldn't.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Congratulations buddy, I'm sure she's a wonderful girl and you're very lucky. This is a great moment for both of you.

I'm just kidding about the last part man, you should fucking run. Run fast and hard and don't stop.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't count Newark personally. I've got no hard data to back this up, but I can't imagine too many people are venturing from NYC into beautiful downtown Newark for many events. And MSG and Barclays are both doing fantastic in terms of concerts and other events, so I wouldn't say there's significant excess arena capacity in the city right now.

It certainly is. New York Penn (aka MSG, aka the heart of Manhattan) is a 10 minute train ride to Newark Penn (aka the Prudential Center).

NY Penn to Barclay's is probably closer to 35-40 mins.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the thing though, if you lived in the middle of Manhattan would you be looking at a random ordinary Friday night Devils game as "the right event"? That's up to each man to choose for himself, but I wouldn't.
No, but I think I made a point earlier in the thread that the events we were discussing was in addition to hockey schedules. On the same branch, I don't think many people in Manhattan are going to Isles games whether they're in Nassau County, Brooklyn or bloody Baltimore. I'm referring more to, for example, Bieber concerts.

Congratulations buddy, I'm sure she's a wonderful girl and you're very lucky. This is a great moment for both of you.

I'm just kidding about the last part man, you should fucking run. Run fast and hard and don't stop.
Thanks, and as she keeps reminding me I've got 3 days still to bail :D

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So lot's of Young Crosby sweaters as wedding gifts, then? You lucky dog!!!
She can dress her dog in it. I hate that asshole anyway.

Well, don't get KRONWALLED on your wedding night!!
She's hoping for the Magic Man; unfortunately she'll get Stephen Weiss.

Status
Not open for further replies.