• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ongoing NHL thread - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear ya. There were some slim pickings for Theo in the middle part of his career. And he did really well. I remember how much of a beast he was the year he got traded to the Dive-a-lanche, both before and after the trade. One of my favourites to watch that year.

As for Alfie, even during the Yashin years Yashin mostly played with MacEachern and Dackell and Alfredsson was left to fend for himself. He did get some young Vinny Prospal, maybe some Sergei Zholtok time too, but hardly the likes of Nieuwendyk and Gilmour. At least not until he was paired with Spezza and Heatley.
What was the thinking behind that? Sens were always RW-heavy but you'd think they would give the guy they obviously thought was their best RW their best centre to play with...

(Zholtok. Lmao)

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know what you were saying, but you're ignoring that the effect also added pts to Theo and kept them exactly the same distance apart scoring-wise just on the other side of each other.

My argument has never been that one player is better or worse than the other, simply arguing that Marty being a lock for the Hall while Theo will likely wait a long time to get in if he ever does doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I'm a little confused by what you're saying here. I don't think that I ignored either of those things, rather I don't see how/why either of those details are a (relative) positive for Fleury in this discussion. I suppose I'm open to the argument that they are but I don't really see it myself.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a little confused by what you're saying here. I don't think that I ignored either of those things, rather I don't see how/why either of those details are a (relative) positive for Fleury in this discussion. I suppose I'm open to the argument that they are but I don't really see it myself.
Both players saw increases to their totals due to era effects. It may have been a bigger swing for MSL but Theo benefitted as well and the gap between the two is the exact same (55 pts) as it would've been had the effects not been applied at all.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both players saw increases to their totals due to era effects. It may have been a bigger swing for MSL but Theo benefitted as well and the gap between the two is the exact same (55 pts) as it would've been had the effects not been applied at all.

Wait a minute, what? We're talking about a positive differential becoming a negative differential. I don't think I understand the argument you're trying to make here, unless you're just uncharacteristically making an obviously bad one.

Duke of Douchington

Needle Mover
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, if Theo didn't spend 10x the amount of time in the penalty box, he'd probably have higher point totals.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, if Theo didn't spend 10x the amount of time in the penalty box, he'd probably have higher point totals.

Putting aside any argument that this shouldn't be to Theo's credit in the first place I still don't see strong evidence suggesting that those penalty minutes greatly affected Theo's icetime and/or scoring opportunities anyway. In the seasons where we have the data his icetime doesn't seem to be significantly affected by his PIM totals, nor does it seem to be significantly lower than St. Louis's icetime.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait a minute, what? We're talking about a positive differential becoming a negative differential. I don't think I understand the argument you're trying to make here, unless you're just uncharacteristically making an obviously bad one.
I'm not understanding yours either, so, let's wrap it up.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing from last night - the Preds are more fucked than LA, Ottawa, Philly and whatever other team(s) lost their starter this year combined are without Rinne.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess Eric Staal has no offensive skills left so he's just a dirty POS now.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing from last night - the Preds are more fucked than LA, Ottawa, Philly and whatever other team(s) lost their starter this year combined are without Rinne.

I hope for his sake it's not the hip. Because if it is... well... bye Pekka.

But I like Nashville. I am willing to help. I will send them another Finnish goalie, and American D man (not that one - the white guy. No. the older one) and a GOD DAMNED HERO for... well, you know.

Last edited:

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What was the thinking behind that? Sens were always RW-heavy but you'd think they would give the guy they obviously thought was their best RW their best centre to play with...

(Zholtok. Lmao)

I'm pretty sure that the thinking at the time was to spread out the offense. Both Alfredsson and Yashin could carry a line but no one else on the team could at that point. Teaming them up might have helped come the postseason, but I also seem to remember them not having chemistry together 5-on-5. Yashin wasn't easy to play because he held onto the puck for SOOOOOOO long. Tough to read. Straight line players like MacEachern seemed OK with it but creative guys always seemed to struggle.

Also, interesting to see the LMAO next to Zholtok. I was going to add the exact same thing, then thought some might see it in poor taste.

For shame!!

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty sure that the thinking at the time was to spread out the offense. Both Alfredsson and Yashin could carry a line but no one else on the team could at that point. Teaming them up might have helped come the postseason, but I also seem to remember them not having chemistry together 5-on-5. Yashin wasn't easy to play because he held onto the puck for SOOOOOOO long. Tough to read. Straight line players like MacEachern seemed OK with it but creative guys always seemed to struggle.

Also, interesting to see the LMAO next to Zholtok. I was going to add the exact same thing, then thought some might see it in poor taste.

For shame!!
Oh crap, didn't even know he died. Whooops. Poor guy.

Yashin was greedy but it was with good reason. Guy could bust through the clutching and grabbing like few others. Perfect centreman for that era.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Johnny Hockey may have a busted finger and could undergo surgery - sure glad we have two officials on the ice who didn't call a single slash against Gaudreau versus the Wild last night.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Johnny Hockey may have a busted finger and could undergo surgery - sure glad we have two officials on the ice who didn't call a single slash against Gaudreau versus the Wild last night.
If it was a hook that caused the broken finger it probably would have been called.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could give a fuck if NHL'ers go to the Olympics. Probably lean on the anti side if anything.

But it sounds like we might get 3 extra years of labour peace in exchange for Olympic participation, and that I am all for:

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brandon Saad available?

#Torts #provenwinner

From EF's 30 thoughts:

7. Speaking of forwards, very curious to see where things go with Columbus and Brandon Saad. He’s fifth on the Blue Jackets in scoring, fifth in time-on-ice among forwards. But he was almost a healthy scratch last week and, somewhere, the team wants to ease its cap crunch. Chicago investigated it last season, but couldn’t make things work. He’s 24 years old and has a lot to give.

Status
Not open for further replies.